Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phillipson Addition  (Read 68 times)

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
Phillipson Addition
« on: February 07, 2016, 06:09:08 PM »

Living near the Bears Den and Scotts decision to start selling used gear has been a mixed blessing. It sure is nice to be able to walk in and pick out your own materials but that is always followed by a perusal of the used rod wall and reel cases. Saturday I needed a couple things for some flies I was planning to tie over the weekend and while making my way down the used fly rod wall a certain yellow glass rod caught my eye.

The rod labeled LL Bean_Featherweight and was built by _Phillipson_for LL Bean on one of their Master rod blanks. Interestingly enough the Masters were the entry level rod in the Phillipson line but they happened to have one of the best actions they ever produced and stayed in production from the time of introduction right to the end of the company's existence. 

This particular model was one I had never had the pleasure of casting and the fact the rod appeared to be unfished it was a no brainer. Question was weather to drop all the tying supplies and just go with it  :lol

Well since you guys are expecting flies next Saturday I kept the supplies but did take the rod home. Time to get busy listing some  other stuff though...

I think this is going to make a nice little rod for some small streams and some canoe fishing on the local river.

Oh and as luck would have it I had a small vintage appropriate reel collecting dust at home that paired up nicely that even came with a good matching line. Love it when things come together. Now if we could just fast forward through this month.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 05:12:49 PM by jeffsod »

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Addicted to tying classics
Re: Phillipson Addition
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 09:08:46 PM »

Sweet rod...my bean featherweight is my favorite rod that I own.  Live that thing.

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 02:50:48 AM »

Damn Jeff, you are an addict.

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 07:47:57 AM »

I have to admit I have a weakness for Phillipsons. Otherwise I have cut back on buying.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 05:13:30 PM by jeffsod »

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 08:06:06 AM »

that's a sweet little rod. I blame you mostly for my impulse glass rod buying addiction.

I'm always scanning used rod sections everywhere for old glass rods.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 09:01:21 AM »

Bumping this thread only because I find myself even with all the glass I have to fish this one has been a regular part of the rotation. Really impressed with this pocket rocket of a glass rod. Highly recommend if you come across one of these to not pass it up. I was out in the yard casting it on Sunday just because it's fun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up