Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Marlboro Show  (Read 245 times)

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Addicted to tying classics
Re: Marlboro Show
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 08:34:37 AM »

We never made it...kid wanted to go fishing instead, so we did.

And its Roger Plourde, and he actually has some pretty neat pieces of history too.  Whats wrong with $80 feathers lol

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 09:18:38 AM »

We never made it...kid wanted to go fishing instead, so we did.

And its Roger Plourde, and he actually has some pretty neat pieces of history too.  Whats wrong with $80 feathers lol

Nothing... for an entire neck of feathers.....
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 09:25:05 AM »

for what its worth...i have never spent $80 on "a" feather lol

I'm always baffled why these shows have fizzled out in this area...seems like others i've been too, in other states, are large and full of good vendors. 

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 09:27:52 AM »

for what its worth...i have never spent $80 on "a" feather lol

I'm always baffled why these shows have fizzled out in this area...seems like others i've been too, in other states, are large and full of good vendors. 

I've heard a bunch of theories, from the organizer is nut bag who sucks at what he does, to lack of audience size in the area. etc.

The thing that drives me nuts about this, is I remember when I started going to these shows, you used to be able to show up and really get a shot at incredible deals. The only thing reminiscent of that is the Fly Shack guys who show up with tons of previous year models of waders, boots, shirts, rods, reels etc.

It just seems like every booth is some sort of lodge somewhere, boat cleaning service, or some other garbage.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 09:41:27 AM »

Really had no interest in seeing this show again - Not really sure if the show has degraded, or my mindset towards these shows have changed.  Probably more exciting to people who are newer to the sport of flyfishing.   

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 09:48:07 AM »

I'm sure the internet isn't doing any of these shows any favors...

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 10:34:32 AM »

On a side note... I'm seriously thinking my next fishing item is going to be something from the Finn guys. Really cool Heavy Waxed canvas stuff. The guy was cool telling me all about it. I saw him cleaning up the threads on one of his bags, and it just shows the extent of care he was taking toward each one of his products. now I just need to figure out what I want.
John Gierach, Good Flies

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 10:57:34 AM »

I bought a streamer wallet from them several years ago...nice stuff.

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 12:10:31 PM »

Matt & I went Sunday as well. I ran into Ryan & Zoe at the Bear's Den booth. A couple of comments and observations.

Size & vendors - yes there were less than last year, but I did speak with Ben Furimsky, the guy who runs it, and he said three vendors cancelled at the last minute due to personal conflicts (two just had kids). I mentioned how it seems like the show was getting smaller and asked if they will continue to come to Marlboro. He was a little defensive stating that last year they had most vendors at Marlboro than any previous year. He constantly hears this feedback about the show getting smaller in Marlboro, but the vendors that do come say they like the venue. I did confirm this with several vendors. They like the smaller, more personal setting that Marlboro offers over the Somerset and Denver shows.

I agree with Chris, that after going several years in a row, it does seem to be repetitive. I like to talk with vendors, tiers and presenters and get their respective opinions about gear & trends. I also enjoy socializing with the fly fishing people I interact with on IG. Matt & I went to a streamer seminar by Jeff Currier and a bass seminar by Bob Clouser. These can be dry and repetitive at times, but I do still pick up a few nuggets of info that can help my fishing game (or are worth trying at least).

I was able to cast the Beulah Surf two-handed rod and really liked it. It is a bit too pricey for me, but now have a performance baseline to fallback on when looking at lower cost alternatives.

I dig through the Ripped Lips bins and others to look for tying deals. Shopped at a couple booths to pick up everything needed for the fly swap too. Also was able to get some intel from Harrison Anglers on a spring wade trip in central mass.

I get out of the show what I put into it. It was ok for me this year.

Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 12:35:52 PM »

He was a little defensive

:lol  Rather than bitch about the show on a forum, why not tell the CEO directly how you feel.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 02:38:45 PM »

He was a little defensive

:lol  Rather than bitch about the show on a forum, why not tell the CEO directly how you feel.

:lol I like it.

Does anyone go to the Worcester Sportsman show at all? There is almost zero fly fishing there. But I remember going there, and the entire thing was nothing but Beef Jerky Vendors, guided trips to Canada, a portable giant fish tank for demonstration, and a grizzly bear that looked bored as shit. I just feel like the Marlborough show is headed or is at that point.

I really do like the bear's den show because I feel like it has a much more local feel to it. Even with vendors like Orvis (I mean they're VT) and other guys, I feel like it has more stuff that I'm interested in. Gear, Local tyers, the raffle is pretty friggin sweet, etc. Sure I don't feel like I would find a steal on a reel or gear at the BD show, but I just feel like I get more out of it.
John Gierach, Good Flies

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Chasing Puffers since 2012
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2017, 08:47:24 PM »

The shows are a good excuse for me to get out of the house, meet up with friends, talk fishing, and grab some food and beers. With any luck I find something I need/want and learn a little.

Worcester show has not been around for a couple of years. I used to find some good deals there then hit The Boynton with friends. Now I hit the  RI Striped bass show and that is pretty good. After the RI show we hit Murphy's.

As for the Marlboro show, it was typical. I did talk to a couple of tiers that gave me some new ideas for shrimp patterns(Peter Koga and Mike Stewart). They were both pleasant and helpful unlike some of the others that have booths at the show.

I also picked up some hardware for some flies, beads, cones, and... gulp... propellers.  :eggscrambler

After the show we hit the Westender and started planning our Keys trip.

Probably won't make it to the Bears Den show this year. I get back from the Philippines the day before the show.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 08:50:37 PM by fishtaco »
I have seen death... he drives a white Grand Marquis.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2017, 08:32:41 AM »

wait wait wait wait... you bought propellers?!?!!?

Ok I'll admit it. I bought rubber ducks....
John Gierach, Good Flies

ToneDef

• Largemouth
  • I'm New
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2017, 09:20:55 AM »

For me, the best part of the show was the Bob Popovics bucktail deceivers (I really have a thing for those lately and for learning to tie them), the free stickers, meeting that girl from the Providence film who was working the Yellow Dog booth. Unless something big changes for next year, I doubt I'll be going again. I was really surprised that Cheeky wasn't there, given they are local. Unless I just missed their booth somehow?

Side note, does anyone remember when Fishing the Cape used to put on their show in January at Chatham Bars Inn? That was a good show with some truly great deals on prior-year and less popular gear.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2017, 10:27:29 AM »

I don't know that show in Chatham but sounds like it would be awesome.

there were a couple of smoke show fly fishing chicks there. Sarah Lundstrom, Abbie Schuster from kismet outfitters, and definitely the chick at the yellow dog booth.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:33:49 AM by Shakeyfly »
John Gierach, Good Flies
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up