Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Vedavoo  (Read 285 times)

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
Re: Vedavoo
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 10:41:50 AM »

The Vedavoo Water Master Beast Sling arrived yesterday. I ordered this the week after the Bears Den show and Scott Hunter said they had a backlog when I ordered. Still pleased with the quick turnaround for a piece of "made to order" gear. Plenty of room in this thing It is not designed to be waterproof but the Watermaster raft fabric should help keep the fly boxes dry when hit with some surf. I'll be loading it up with a couple fly boxes and extra spools/reels for the salt outings. Also gonna try putting a spare rod, in its tube, in those straps along to bottom.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 10:44:57 AM by ginclear »
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 09:55:26 AM »

Sooooo Dean, After a year of using this thing... what's your thoughts? I know you're a big Vedavoo fan, but what was the pro's and cons?

I really wish he had a submersible pack. That's what I'm looking at right now.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 06:59:45 PM »

Sooooo Dean, After a year of using this thing... what's your thoughts? I know you're a big Vedavoo fan, but what was the pro's and cons?

I really wish he had a submersible pack. That's what I'm looking at right now.
One season in and I'm very pleased with my purchase. As I mentioned earlier, it is not a waterproof bag, but it did keep my flies dry when fishing the surf or in rain. With the space to store extra spools/reels, it saved me a couple times having a back up reel or when I needed to switch from an intermediate to a sinking line. I was able to attach a spare rod to the the lower straps but if your rod tube is not water tight, it would would get the rod and sock wet when wading over your thighs. The only issue I have with it is forgetting to close the velcro lid and swinging it to my back. I did that a few times and had fly boxes and reels dropping behind me as I walked. Fortunately, those incidents never happened in deep water or current.
The worst wear on the pack is some rust around the stainless ring, but hardly an issue. For my style of salt fishing, it's been a good investment.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:04:05 AM by ginclear »
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 08:35:46 AM »

awesome! Thanks for following up.

I have a couple of sling bags and I do like them, but my last couple of times out, I've noticed that the sling pack really does fatigue my one shoulder. I have the guide sling so I am carrying around snacks, water bottle, extra set of gloves, fly boxes etc.

So I think I'm going to go back to a backpack. Most of the time I'm fishing, I'm taking off my sling bag and putting it on the ground behind me anyway. But I want either the thunderhead by fishpond, or the patagucci backpack. I liked the way the Vedavoo backpack goes across the chest, but again, not waterproof.

"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 04:22:24 PM »

I have a couple of sling bags and I do like them, but my last couple of times out, I've noticed that the sling pack really does fatigue my one shoulder. I have the guide sling so I am carrying around snacks, water bottle, extra set of gloves, fly boxes etc.
I know my son's Orvis Guide Sling has the strap over his casting shoulder. All the Vedavoo packs are designed for your non-casting shoulder and they will build it for your left or right shoulder depending on your casting. I've loaded mine with several spools/reels/flies/tools/etc... and have never experienced shoulder fatigue after a full day.
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Chasing Puffers since 2012
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2018, 06:50:16 PM »

I received the waterproof Patagonia Stormfront backpack for Christmas. I have been using a mix of backpacks and sling packs for years but on rainy days they get soaked through and start to get pretty dank if I don't dry them quickly and thoroughly. Hopefully this bag reduces the post rain smeg.
I have seen death... he drives a white Grand Marquis.

Ryan

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Forum Hottie
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 08:06:09 AM »

I've never understood things that cant get wet while fishing.... whats the point?
I open all my fly boxes ever day when done fishing and leave them on my bench. Next day, I put them away. If they get wet or not. Its not a big deal.

I love my pack. I agree with Dean though, the velcro is unfortunate. I lost a streamer box fishing in Maine this year. My only other gripe when I got it is how it holds the fly boxes. The kind of all bounced around in there which is fine, except they'd get all screwed up sideways, and flipped over. I just bought new boxes of the same style and shape. I hope it fixes the issue.

I love the bag, but honestly, I like the wading belt just as much or more. I always just wore an old climbing belt I had with my waders, never a true wading belt. This thing with the big back support piece makes me so much more comfortable standing all day

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2018, 01:53:43 PM »

A used one just popped on Fiberglass Flyrodders -

http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=61654

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2018, 02:31:07 PM »

Interesting that the two users of these packs have experienced the same failure. I was considering picking one of these packs up for some of the fishing I do but these reviews have made my decision easier. It would be nice to see a plastic buckle component added to these packs.

If my stuff fell out of that pack once I don't think it would see the light of day again.

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2018, 05:39:29 PM »

Interesting that the two users of these packs have experienced the same failure. I was considering picking one of these packs up for some of the fishing I do but these reviews have made my decision easier. It would be nice to see a plastic buckle component added to these packs.

If my stuff fell out of that pack once I don't think it would see the light of day again.
Dennis, in my case, the Velcro did not fail, I forgot to fasten it before slinging it to my back. If there was a buckle, the same would have happened due to user error. I've never had the Velcro come open on it's own.
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2018, 06:07:35 PM »

Dennis, in my case, the Velcro did not fail, I forgot to fasten it before slinging it to my back. If there was a buckle, the same would have happened due to user error. I've never had the Velcro come open on it's own.

I understand that, but two out of two users committing the same error doesn't sit well with me. I can guarantee I would make the same mistake if I owned one of those packs. A plastic buckle in (in addition to the velcro) would give me more piece of mind. A plastic buckle would give me an audible and tactile cue that things are secure.

Ryan

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Forum Hottie
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 04:05:44 PM »

Ditto....
And to your point about the buckle, the velcro has a much better chance of accidentally fastening itself then a buckle does.
taco, I tried on literally every other sling on the market except an Orvis (which I'd only buy if the only other choice was TFO)., and there really is no comparison. The Simms fit weird, the Umqua I thought was trying to strangle me.

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2018, 07:27:56 PM »

I guess Scott heard some concerns about the velcro flap. I asked him in an IG post (shown below) if the buckle is being added to Beast Sling and he said the latch is standard on all of the 2018 line.

Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2018, 08:53:09 PM »

:lol
John Gierach, Good Flies

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2018, 12:16:28 PM »

I overheard someone at Melinda's (on the Salmon River) complaining about the Vedavoo velcro too, his point was that if the bag is not full, it was hard to get the Velcro to close properly unless you contorted everything so you could use two hands to press the bag closed.  Sounds like the buckle is a good addition.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up