Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why UV Materials?  (Read 61 times)

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
Why UV Materials?
« on: April 12, 2017, 09:38:37 AM »

So I started noticing that a lot of materials are going UV... I have zero idea what the benefit is if any. So I doing some research I found this article that I thought was interesting.

http://midcurrent.com/flies/shining-a-light-on-uv-materials/

! No longer available

do you guys buy into the UV thing?
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
Re: Why UV Materials?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 11:39:15 AM »

Yes, I read somewhere about the importance of UV when fishing for lake trout.  I then tied about 50 flies with different colors of UV yak hair before heading to Saskatchewan.  Recently I was watching some fly fishing video in which the local expert was making a huge deal about UV and tested the hypothesis of UV is better with two-fly rigs. 

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 12:06:36 PM »

Interesting!

Watching the guys video on the importance of Floresence vs. UV was really interesting take on this. Then to me he blew himself up at the end, saying that if UV was really that important, White would be the best color out there.

In my opinion, I've had THE most success, with mostly white, if not all white, streamers etc. with the secondary color really only being their to add definition of a color break, easier for me to see, fisherman confidence color etc.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 01:34:31 PM »

I didn't watch the video, but his last point as you mentioned is nonsensical.  UV is reflected at different wavelengths just like visible color.  The best wavelength is dependent on a variety of factors.  Think of UV as color that you can't see but the fish (possible) can. 

*remember, the color white is only made up of visible wavelengths
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 02:06:36 PM by k2 »

Ryan

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Forum Hottie
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 06:04:24 PM »

*remember, the color white is only made up of visible wavelengths

Are you sure? The color white is a reflection of all wave lengths the human eye can see, thats not to say that there aren't also UV waves in with the white, its just that all the waves that make up white are there. This was a huge thing with duck decoys about 5 years ago. It petered out in the end, but for awhile it was all the rage. Also with deer hunting camo. They claim deer can see UV. So your camo can be camo, but it can also be camo with UV. To us it looks the same, but to a deer it looks like a christmas tree.

http://www.atsko.com/uv-false-claims

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 07:37:58 PM »

I see your point, but we could say the same thing about red, yellow, or even black.  The guy was insinuating that white reflected all wavelengths of UV.
Pages: [1]   Go Up