Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Doh...  (Read 39 times)

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
Doh...
« on: April 14, 2017, 01:29:04 PM »

Last december I picked out some thread colors to go with an orange anglers roost glass blank I am building.  I was thinking a orangish brown with navy blue trim bands.  Put the colors on my wish list and wifey-Santa put them in my stocking.  The blue sure looked dark, but I figured it would lighten up a little with epoxy over it so I just went with it.  Turns out its black..  :\ oh well, no one said a rod has to look pretty to catch fish.

Ryan

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Forum Hottie
Re: Doh...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 05:55:02 PM »

Last december I picked out some thread colors to go with an orange anglers roost glass blank I am building.  I was thinking a orangish brown with navy blue trim bands.  Put the colors on my wish list and wifey-Santa put them in my stocking.  The blue sure looked dark, but I figured it would lighten up a little with epoxy over it so I just went with it.  Turns out its black..  :\ oh well, no one said a rod has to look pretty to catch fish.

That happened to me a few times with my first few builds, then I started using color preserver. Now I have about 100 different colors and different shades and don't have the problem anymore.

albcorb

• Tuna
Re: Doh...
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 06:37:00 PM »

Epoxy will always darken the color and so does most color preserver, usually a shade darker some colors more so than others. Best way to test it quick is wet it with water, it will give you an approximate finished color. Right there with you on the different colors I am up around 120 100 yd spools and several 100 yard shade packs. I just refilled my cork assortment with various dozens of burl corks,rubberized, and flor grade. Oh and several different bark rings most of which are birch and pines. It's an addiction!
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Fine Lines: “There will be days when the fishing is better than one’s most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.” Roderick Haig-Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up