Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Line Spooling Station Hack  (Read 48 times)

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
Line Spooling Station Hack
« on: May 05, 2017, 12:35:12 PM »

I found that changing lines or putting a new line on a reel was a PITA without a helper. I looked into buying one with a line length measurement device (for adding backing) and the cheapest was about $60 (worth the investment if you spool up reels everyday but not if it's done a couple times a year).
Here's my line spooling station hack with all the random stuff laying around in my archival vault....

- 1 broken spinning rod & a broken tip section.
- some pipe brackets, misc. wood/hardware, tape, an old fly reel handle and some adhesive picture bumpers.

The reel seat on the spinning rod is attached with pipe brackets at one end of the board. The tip section of the rod is taped in place along the center of the station to guide line on to the reel. A vertical wood block is mounted on the other end with a carriage bolt (or dowel for larger spools). A 7" cherry strip has a reel handle screwed on at one end and two silicon adhesive picture bumpers are placed on the other side to align with the holes in a line spool cassette. The line spool cassette is positioned with washers and then held on with the cherry handle with a wing nut. I ordered a $6 line length counter that attaches to the rod mainly to measure backing. Here are some pics of this beast...

Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
Re: Line Spooling Station Hack
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 12:41:20 PM »

Nice DIY there Ginclear!

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 09:39:15 AM »

Nice setup man.  Great idea

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Addicted to tying classics
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 07:30:42 AM »

Thats pretty cool!  I just dont ever take the lines off any of my reels...problem solved lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up