Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Red Eyes in Western MN  (Read 68 times)

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
Some Red Eyes in Western MN
« on: May 16, 2017, 02:23:07 PM »

My firm was awarded a contract for a recreation survey in MN last Monday, on the stipulation that we needed to have someone in the field last weekend for opening day.  There were 13 survey sites spread along roughly 13 miles of the Otter Tail River, near Fergus Falls MN and 2 of us working.  Work amounted to showing up and doing a count of vehicles in the parking lot and making not of what activities folks at the site were up to, then doing the count again in an hour and staying at the site for a total of about 1'45" trying to get as many folks as possible to answer a 5-10 minute survey.  To make the most of a work weekend, I packed an 8wt and my newly built 3/4 wt 10' switch.  Had to maintain a professional appearance, which meant no wading, so I figured the short switch would come in handy fishing from shore with limited back cat room.  While doing a little on-line recon, I came across Doug Harthan of Front 20 Fly Shop.  He had very reasonable half day rates and my flight was getting into Fargo at 10:30 so I figured it would be a good way to get familiar with the area.  We met up at my Hotel at noon and were on the water about 30 minutes later on Dayton Hollow Lake.  We spent the next 4.5 hours banging the bank with clousers while he manned the motor and the oars.  I had a blast!  I think I pulled in 8-10 smallies, with the largest going 19" (a PB for me) a small largemouth, and a smallish northern pike, which was an on-the fly first for me.  Unfortunately the slimy bugger slid out of my hands before Doug got the pic. 

The next day I found myself at a site with a bunch of empty trailers and no-one around to talk to.  So I filled out my form, strung up the 10' footer, and headed down to a cement embankment with a nice flow under a bridge spilling across a grassy flat.  Still working on getting the cast right with this rod, but was able to get it out for a few good drifts and got hammered by another small northern.  Another missed photo op though.  The rest of the sites were fairly busy, so did not get anymore fishing in on Saturday.

Sunday I wound up at a nice little park without a sole around.  I caught another small red eye on a clouser with the switch rod.  Then decided to change it up a bit.  The bank was mostly mowed grass, with a chain link homerun fence about 25 feet behind me.  So I packed up the switch rod, strung up the 8 wt, and started launching some poppers out into semi-still water.  A nice fast strip thorough the shadow from a tree was rewarded with a great surface take and another chunk smallie.  I ended the day Sunday at a nice section of river below a dam that was getting a lot of attention from walleye fisherman.  I took care of my survey duties, than started slinging some green and white bender bunnies out into the current, fishing them on a swing and tripping back up through a seam downstream from a rock.  I pulled 3 little smallmouth and my first walleye from behind that rock before heading the hour back to Fargo for a 2:30 am wake up and 5am flight home Monday.  Not a bad way to spend the weekend, plus now I don't need to take vacay when I head to the Cape on Thursday for the tourney! 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 02:39:46 PM by trico22 »

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
Re: Some Red Eyes in Western MN
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 02:48:03 PM »

now that's a work trip!!!
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 03:03:15 PM »

Great job...  you should have eaten that walleye. 

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 03:44:25 PM »

Great job...  you should have eaten that walleye.

lol, actually my grandfather, who is 95% responsible for my fishing addiction, was a big walleye fisherman who took his family from Ohio to Canada every year to fish for 'eyes.  I only caught one with him before he died, on another lake in MN, but with conventional gear.  However, he always seemed to have walleye in the freezer when we would visit.  I may or may not have had a little tear in my eye as I saw what kind of fish I was bringing in and thought about him.  Got to the hotel in Fargo and went to the attached restraunt for dinner.  I had parm. crusted walleye with salad and pesto potatoes and a Manhattan with Bullit Rye.  Perfect end to the trip.

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 04:01:05 PM »

Great story.  Walleye is sort of like the cod of the Midwest.  I flew through the Minneapolis airport last year and ordered walleye at one of the restaurants.  I had forgotten how delicious it is.

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 05:33:34 PM »

Nice work, Tyler! I'm curious about the survey work. Mark & I were surveyed last year at a boat ramp in RI.
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 08:37:32 PM »

Nice trip Tyler

The guy in the second pic is all business.  He did not come to party

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 08:39:43 PM by Chris M »