Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: North Carolina Family Reunion  (Read 126 times)

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
North Carolina Family Reunion
« on: June 01, 2017, 09:29:12 PM »

Two weeks ago I missed the Cheeky Schoolie Tourney to attend a family reunion in Oriental, NC. While I had already decided with Jeff to not fish cheeky this year, I did miss hanging out with everyone visiting the Cape for the event.

With my immediate family spread up and down the East Coast and my niece with husband and new baby living in the UK, we rarely get together as a family, so this was a special event. My mom started organizing it a year ago as a celebration of dad's 90th birthday (in September this year), their 65th wedding anniversary, my sisters 64th birthday and mom's 88th birthday.

We gathered at a beautiful 7 bedroom house on the Neuse River with a big dock that we could fish from.

There was a total of 18 immediate family members at the celebration. We (Matt, Val & I) drove 800 miles on Thursday and spent Friday thru Sunday with family then drove back on Monday. Planned activities included dinners together, a guided fishing trip, a pig-picking with lots of free time explore the town, canoe/kayak from my parent's dock 5 minutes away or just hang out and drink.

I was tasked to organize the guided fishing trip which consisted of 3 boats for a total of 11 of us to fish 8 hours on Saturday. We hired Gary Dubiel of Spec Fever Guide Service to take us out to chase redfish & sea trout. Two boats where set up for fly fishing and all the boats had spin gear. Val, Matt & I took turns fly fishing all day with Gary. My niece Allie her husband Nick (who is a guide in the ADK) and brother in law Alan went out on the second boat spin fishing all day. The third boat had my nephew Andrew, his dad (my other brother in law) Kevin and Steve (nephew in law from the UK) split the day with my daughter Merry and her boyfriend Christian. Every boat found some fish under tough conditions. The wind had been pushing water out of the river for about a week and the low water levels makes the fish very skittish. 

The Neuse River, where we were, is the widest mouth of any US river at 5 miles. We left the local dock at 6:30 and crossed the river to fish several creeks and estuaries which were out of the wind.

Gary had us fishing his pop-n-fly rig which is a round foam popper with no hook trailed by a fly about 2' away. Matt was the first on the board with a legal sea trout. His first sea trout on the fly.

I got a much smaller, but also my first sea trout next.

It was slow fishing, but Matt did manage to land a couple of schoolie stripers and completed the slam with his first redfish in the afternoon.

Val fished hard but had a hard time throwing the fly rig. She may have had one on during the day but didn't land it.

We got back to the dock around 2:30 settled up with Gary and the other guides.
The remainder of our fishing was from the dock with a gurgler/shimp fly dropper and both Matt & I where able to land a couple more sea trouts from the dock.

Even my daughter did some fly fishing from the dock.

On Sunday, my Mom organized a pig-pickin' for the family and about 60 of her local friends.

We had a fun weekend with all the excitement that hanging with family can bring.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 09:31:55 PM by ginclear »
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Chasing Puffers since 2012
Re: North Carolina Family Reunion
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 09:55:39 PM »

Nice Dean, that's the kind of family gathering I can get into.

I will be in NC next weekend for a wedding. We have a half day charter on Friday and some time to hit the water Sunday. Hopefully I can get into some fish.
I have seen death... he drives a white Grand Marquis.

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 09:33:16 AM »

That looks like a ton of fun! 

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 09:50:14 AM »

That's awesome. Is that for Keara?

Post some redfish pics.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Eric_wa

• Largemouth
  • I'm New
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 10:01:42 PM »

Nice! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up