Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Early Morning Bassing  (Read 69 times)

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
Early Morning Bassing
« on: July 17, 2017, 08:24:34 AM »

I finally managed to get out sunday morning to a pond near my house that runs into the charles. This will be a short report just because by the time I got there, I realized I left two fly boxes, my phone and breakfast at the house. Rather than turning around and risk either running to an awake wife or waking the child resulting in an awake wife, I said screw it and just fished out what I could.

Saturday was going to be a busy ass day for me because I had 3 two year old birthday parties to attend.  :doh :help

I launched early, and just as I suspected. Loved every single minute of having a truck. I do need to get one of those hitch extenders but otherwise was a hell of a lot easier loading and unloading a 50 pound kayak center hull off the top of my 4runner.

After reading a lot of advice from other kayakers, I decided not to approach it like a boat. I drastically reduced my paddling and hung around to a couple hundred yards near the launch maximum. I ended up getting a ton of 12 - 15 inch bass, a handful of some solid hand sized bluegills, and a yellow perch (haven't caught one of those in a long time so it was actually a nice change up to see those colors).

I really think I need to get one of those mud anchors that Matt and others were talking about. I have a kayak sized bruce anchor and it was a pain dropping and lifting that thing around, and I'm still getting used to my casting slowly turning the kayak. I think I'm facing one way perfectly and slowly the kayak starts rotating moving me to shuffling around etc.

Either way, I know it wasn't saltwater, but it was still very nice to get out, enjoy some quiet, and just cast.

:bow
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Addicted to tying classics
Re: Early Morning Bassing
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 09:56:58 AM »

the advice you read was to paddle less?  Was that in Geriatric Kayak Magazine?

the pole can be made simply with many things found at your local home depot...wood, pvc, aluminum, etc.  PVC has a tendency to flex a little more in the summer though as it heats up.  Its a very rudimentary type of device...hell you could probably go into the wood and cut a tree branch off to make one.

Nice work getting out though!  I had mine loaded up yesterday but was too lazy.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 10:23:13 AM »

the advice you read was to paddle less?  Was that in Geriatric Kayak Magazine?

the pole can be made simply with many things found at your local home depot...wood, pvc, aluminum, etc.  PVC has a tendency to flex a little more in the summer though as it heats up.  Its a very rudimentary type of device...hell you could probably go into the wood and cut a tree branch off to make one.

Nice work getting out though!  I had mine loaded up yesterday but was too lazy.

Yes literally you told me to paddle Less :lol were you drinking when you were typing that? okay... thanks.. drunk fishing guy....

Loaded up but too lazy? Sad.

I don't want to make one. I want to spend more money and piss off my wife. I was really hoping for a Yeti one. Basically a PVC pole with a Big as Yeti Sticker on it.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 11:43:48 AM »

when did I ever say paddle less lol...you were worried about paddling against the "current" in the charles river like it was a raging class V rapid or something. 

also, loaded up just means I looked at the boat next to my house and thought about it lol...we did this instead.

If you want to buy one, its called a "park n' pole"...a $75 dollar plastic stick.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 11:57:40 AM »

WAYYYY Better than fishing solo... Dead serious. I can't wait to get Zoey out there. We got her used to the kayak, and the couple of times I brought her down to the pond she was more about running around the woods than waiting to see a fish. oh well.
John Gierach, Good Flies

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 01:02:34 PM »

yeah, he can vary....on the boat it was a maximum of about 15 minutes with the attention span lol.  Trolling motor, fish finders, outboard, snacks...lots of crap to play with.  Plus he's hell bent on catching a fish on one of those old school pre-rigged worms that I let him get the last time we went to BPS. 

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 01:24:49 PM »

:lol that's awesome.

Zoey has been taking swimming lessons and swimming a lot this summer, so right now when we took her out on the canoe and stuck her in a life jacket the first thing she did was just to get up on her seat to jump out the damn boat.
John Gierach, Good Flies

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 06:39:31 AM »

For my single canoe I use a long fiberglass driveway marker for an anchor. I have a piece of three eight's line tied then taped to the end. Granted I use this mostly for the shallow river near my house. It is pretty narrow and most places I can cast one side to the other so I anchor near the side in the soft mud and just push the pole in the mud. Nice in that it comes up clean when its time to move.

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 10:10:45 AM »

Nice report, Ryan! Great to get out early and land a bunch of decent bass (we need some pics though). Your kayak weighs 50 lbs?!?! I thought my 16' fiberglass canoe was heavy.

Jeff you should post a pic of your pole anchor contraption.
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 08:40:03 AM »

Nice report, Ryan! Great to get out early and land a bunch of decent bass (we need some pics though). Your kayak weighs 50 lbs?!?! I thought my 16' fiberglass canoe was heavy.

Jeff you should post a pic of your pole anchor contraption.

No. My kayak weighs 79 pounds in total... The main body weighs like 50 pounds. the two pontoons are probably 10 pounds each.
http://www.yakangler.com/fishing-kayak-review/293-freedom-hawk-pathfinder
John Gierach, Good Flies
Pages: [1]   Go Up