Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canoeing in Central Mass  (Read 94 times)

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
Canoeing in Central Mass
« on: July 18, 2017, 11:00:39 PM »

Thanks for everyone's recommendations regarding canoe locations in western MA. Val & I ended up launching the canoe at Cold Spring Rd on the Swift last Sunday. Val tends to work one or both of her jobs on weekends and it is rare for her to get a full day off so we wanted to take advantage of a gorgeous summer day in the canoe. We were not in a big rush to get started and it was the first time to put our 17' fiberglass Mohawk on the Ford Escape purchased in January. I needed run to the drug store when they opened and buy a couple water noodles to slit and put on the canoe gunnels to protect the roof rack from getting trashed.

We were on the road around 11 and arrived at a sh*t show at the launch site (guess everyone else in CT, MA, VT & NY wanted to boat the Swift on Sunday). There were no parking spots and several cars/trucks parked along the road. We unloaded the canoe and were lucky to see some morning kayakers packing up to leave so I grabbed their shaded parking spot. Once we were on the water, the crowds did not seem as bad. We paddled for about 1 1/2 hours, resisting the urge to fish along the way, covering about 2 miles, stopping about 100 yards downstream from the hatchery pipe off Cady Road. The clarity of the water gave us the pleasure of seeing 1000's of fish along the way, mostly small brookies and young rainbows, but some rainbows pushing 20".

Water temp was a cool 60 degrees which felt great to get out and wet wade at a few spots during our drift back. Val loves to fish dries and I rigged up the LL Bead 3wt for dries and the Fenwick glass for streamers.

There were lots of moths and some caddis on the water so we both tied on some deerhair caddis flies (JC Special). I watched a moth get trapped in a riffle and immediately get eaten by a brookie. Both Val & I were getting takes on the dries and I was the first to bring one to hand followed shortly by Val landing her first.

We floated and fished back downstream until about 7:30, stopping a couple times to fish spots where we saw larger fish on the way up. Val landed about a dozen brookies and me about 1/2 that mainly cause I switched to throwing the slumpbuster in deeper pools looking for larger fish (no takers though).

The last fish of the day for Val was probably the largest at a least 10".

We saw powered john boats, kayakers, paddleboarders, a snorkeler, a pontoon boat, guys & gals in waders and even a bass boat. Generally everyone was reasonable and respectful of others trying to fish or enjoy their time off work on the river.

This is a trip we plan to do again.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 08:58:58 AM by ginclear »
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
Re: Canoeing in Central Mass
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 08:36:24 AM »

THERE'S THE REPORT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!

Solid outting man. I have never boated the swift. When I had my little drift boat I wanted too, but never found a way to get back to my vehicle with it.Thanks for sharing. Looks fun as hell.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

LeakyWaders

• Largemouth
  • I'm New
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 11:05:30 PM »

Very cool Dean. It's amazing how good a Brookie stream the Swift is these days.

Eric_wa

• Largemouth
  • I'm New
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 12:28:13 PM »

I did the same trip with my wife in Kayaks a coupe weeks back, but didn't bring a fly rod.  River was very busy, but again everyone was very respectful of other.  In typical fashion, no rod = seeing a giant (6+ pound) brookie sipping dries for a couple minutes before retreating to some timber..  Also went up to Y-pool on Sat night and fished for a bit, sulfers are hatching!!  I may try to get out there on Sat this week and so a float of some sort (Raft or yak)

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 02:07:17 PM »

That is a great report Dean.  What a beautiful river.

So your first 90 min push was all paddling upriver?

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 03:23:45 PM »

Thanks, guys. It was a great day out

So your first 90 min push was all paddling upriver?
Yes, but is was not bad in the canoe. If you had a small motor on a john boat, you probably could only go about half the way due to trees across and under the river. As a point of reference for the future, below was the flow rate on Sunday, July 9th. It only got tough in the skinny water just before the pipe. I imagine another 20 cfs would have taken us a bit longer.

Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 04:37:11 PM »

Yes, but is was not bad in the canoe. If you had a small motor on a john boat, you probably could only go about half the way due to trees across and under the river.

How many enemies would I make taking a noisy gas engine on a John Boat up that clean clear river?  I didn't realize anyone took floatation there - I've only really fished from Cady Lane north to the Y-pool on foot.  I'm thinking that there were a lot frowns given to the motorized engine boats on such a smallish river.  And since I feel the need on every boat outing to trim up the prop halfway out of the water and rev up a 25 foot roostertail of water, I really wouldn't be making any friends.

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 05:11:43 PM »

Yes, but is was not bad in the canoe. If you had a small motor on a john boat, you probably could only go about half the way due to trees across and under the river.

How many enemies would I make taking a noisy gas engine on a John Boat up that clean clear river?  I didn't realize anyone took floatation there - I've only really fished from Cady Lane north to the Y-pool on foot.  I'm thinking that there were a lot frowns given to the motorized engine boats on such a smallish river.  And since I feel the need on every boat outing to trim up the prop halfway out of the water and rev up a 25 foot roostertail of water, I really wouldn't be making any friends.
Well, when one guy came zipping up in his John Boat, not once, but three separate times, stopping 20 yards downstream from us, drifting for a bit and then zipping away, all I could think was the d-bag was trying to spook the fish downstream from us so he could catch them later for dinner. He was not fishing. Then there were two guys in a bass boat that looked completely out of place on that small river in a big boat and they were not even fishing.
We did see several stream side houses with powered boats either docked or pulled up in the yard, so it is probably abused with power boats more than you would think. An older couple, out for an evening cruise, passed within arms reach in front of where we were fishing in a outboard powered pontoon boat (at the spot in the picture above of Val fishing out of the canoe). He told us that the state had just stocked some large brown trout in the pool we were fishing, but thanks to him running right over the spot, we were not going to catch any.
We did our share of d-baggery, by canoeing past some shore fly anglers. I think that most everyone on the river understands it's a shared resource and everyone was generally courteous to one another.
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
Pages: [1]   Go Up