Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trout report  (Read 127 times)

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
Trout report
« on: July 26, 2017, 12:37:08 PM »

The board's a little sleepy - I do have a report to add.

Was on vacation last week and was in North Conway earlier in the week.  I fish a somewhat well-known pool on the Ellis  (RyanB knows where) just in the early morning before my kids wake up.  In years past this pool is a great dry fly stretch, with easy parking and access - and not a lot of fishing pressure, at least while I have been there.  The pool exists because of a dam downstream.  The state stocks a reasonable amount of fish there and I believe it is all catch and release.   Got there Tues morning and did not see any rises, or fish activity whatsoever.  Put a decent effort in and gave up by 8:00 to go get a DD coffee.   I have always tried to go to the local flyshop to buy some items and get some info on these trips.  So after the kids got their fill of the local amusements parks I snuck off to the flyshop.  They revealed to me that shortly after the state stocked that stretch, the dam owner decided to do some turbine maintenance and released all the water in the pool- flushing all the fish out of that pool over the dam.  The women at the shop said that there was some moderate fishing below the dam.  I bought a few things, thanked them for the info and headed back to our rental.
So the next morning I got up early and went below the dam.  Sure enough there was some fish rising, but they were tough – managed one brookie on a dry, and one rainbow on a streamer.  Missed multiple hits using an RS2 fly – just couldn’t connect with it, though the fish seemed to want it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 12:39:37 PM by Chris M »

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
Re: Trout report
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 04:50:23 PM »

Nice report and fish, Chris.
I love fishing in that area, but it has been many years since my last trip up that way. Good to take the time to find a few while on vaca.
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 08:44:28 PM »

Great report Chris,  love visiting the local fly shops
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 06:10:49 AM »

North Country Angler. Nice little shop admidst all the other North Conway retail stores. Great fly selection for the area. New owners apparently with a new location further north on 302 away from center of town.

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 02:03:07 PM »

nice work Chris, great report.  Pays to talk to the locals!

Ryan

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Forum Hottie
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 05:05:17 PM »

Nice job Chris. That spot has never been kind to me. I watched my brother out fish me there the first time he ever picked up a fly rod.

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 08:44:04 PM »

Nice job Chris. That spot has never been kind to me. I watched my brother out fish me there the first time he ever picked up a fly rod.

Thanks Ryan. I have a love/hate relationship with that spot

bamboo

• Brookie
  • I'm New
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 08:56:05 AM »

Chris,
I fish the Ellis every July ( family trip) . Sometimes it's good & then there are the dead days. Makes you crazy when you can see trout & cant get them to take. I have had my best action on a "Little Yellow Sally" . This fly was suggested by a local who was hammering them just up stream from me. Always the first fly tied on now. #14 or #16 .

bamboo....mike

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 10:02:33 AM »

Thanks Mike. Never would have used that fly nor do I even own one, but will definitely pick some up for next year

Ryan

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Forum Hottie
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 02:32:59 PM »

Chris,
I fish the Ellis every July ( family trip) . Sometimes it's good & then there are the dead days. Makes you crazy when you can see trout & cant get them to take. I have had my best action on a "Little Yellow Sally" . This fly was suggested by a local who was hammering them just up stream from me. Always the first fly tied on now. #14 or #16 .

bamboo....mike
Yup, thats a good one there. Ellis and Saco are two rivers I tend to do better at with white, and yellow. Not sure why. They look translucent in that clear water.
Pages: [1]   Go Up