Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting to get the hang of my local C&R reach  (Read 97 times)

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
Starting to get the hang of my local C&R reach
« on: August 08, 2017, 10:04:06 AM »

There is a fly-only C&R river reach about 25 minutes from home that I fished a few times last summer with not much more than frustration to report.  Things are starting to turn around a bit though.  Went up two weekends ago to do an exploratory float with my wife.  You can do a 30-40 minute float with a 10 min walk back to the put in, which we thought we be good for a quick outing.   I didn't bother with a rod that trip, but we did see a fish or two rise.  It was great to finally get my pontoon out on to a river with flows faster than something you could just oar back upstream.

Last Sunday I headed back solo to wade and see what developed into late evening.  Shortly after arriving, a size 12 white mayfly flew across the river and landing in a dogwood next to me.  It was an easy capture and nice to get a good look.  Didn't see anything rising yet though, so I started swinging a bugger through a nice run over large cobbles about chest deep.  Nada.

Around 7 the first fish jumped.  Now I had a target!  I switched to a white adams style tie from last summer with a white feather barb tail, grizzly hackle and calf wing and, started walking upstream to get in position.  As I was wading back out another fish rose behind a rock further upstream and closer to the bank.  Turning toward the rock I had the river behind me a plenty of room for a backcast, so I changed focus to that fish with a long upstream cast.  I gave that one about 10 casts, hearing the first fish rising behind me and after no rises by the rock I threw a backcast down stream and mended for a nice drift in the general direction of the fist fish.  *slurp* raise the tip, and connect!  First dry fly trout in I can't remember how long.  A little 10" brown, but a blast! 

Got a second one that night, and two more last night after dinner.  Brownies for dessert.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 10:07:59 AM by trico22 »

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
Re: Starting to get the hang of WCC
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 10:04:39 AM »

to ward off confusion, the net markings are cm.

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
Re: Starting to get the hang of my local C&R reach
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 10:11:38 AM »

nice report Tyler.  Its not everyday you can catch a 24" brown (JK) in your backyard on a dry

Do you ever see other flyrodders there?  Is it stocked heavily in spring and/or fall

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 10:30:22 AM »

yes, I see others there.  It is a fairly well fished area, but rare for me to see anyone else while I am fishing.  Sunday there were two others at the same pull-out and I could see them about 200yds downstream.  Another fisherman was there last night and we spoke briefly after getting back to the cars at dark, never saw them on the river though.  It does receive stocked fish and I have seen pics of nice holdovers up to 24" or so.  The C&R reach starts at a dam in Trenton Falls.  I hear there are lots of small wild brookies above that, but have not been there yet. I caught a brown about 13-14" last spring the first day I went out with my winter build.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 11:52:19 AM »

Nice fish tyler and way to stick with it. It's awesome when things start to come together and you begin to figure it out.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 06:01:16 PM »

Very nice, Tyler. Fishing dries is the best when it comes together.
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 09:52:26 AM »

Nice. We need some photos of the water you are fishing too!
Pages: [1]   Go Up