Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lake Memphremagog  (Read 98 times)

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
Lake Memphremagog
« on: August 10, 2017, 10:24:02 AM »

So I'm heading up to Lake Memphremagog. It's in Northern VT that splits the US and Canada. My buddy who is a reel fisherman only, bass boating guy, said we needed to go to some camping, and some fishing and try out some of the fishing on this lake targeting Bass.

Anyone ever fish this place? I feel woefully unprepared. I grabbed all my bass flies, all my saltwater flies... and realized. I have zero zonker strip flies. No Flash Dancers, nothing. Leaving shortly too... We'll see what happens.  :doh :doh

:excited :excited
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
Re: Lake Memphremagog
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 10:27:00 AM »

Side note, I hit Cabela's on teh way home yesterday. They have a separate discount room. They had a bunch of fly lines, including the sinking 8 weight line I needed for 30 bucks. Scientific Anglers.

Also, as most of know... their fly fishing section SUCCCKKKKEEEEDDDDDDD
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Addicted to tying classics
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 10:54:39 AM »

If you want flies...come to my house lol

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Addicted to tying classics
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 10:56:34 AM »

Dead serious....boxes and boxes of bass flies

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 05:25:21 PM »

I grew up a half hour south of the lake - fished it a few times - It's massive, skinny, like 20 miles from south to north, but maybe 3 miles at its widest point.  Trout and even supposedly a steelhead run at the Clyde river - think big lake fishing with sinking lines and streamers 7 weight stuff.   

Pre-9/11 we could go right into Canada by simply boating to an island, picking up a phone, and speaking with someone at border patrol.  I wonder how that's is handled now

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 11:25:28 AM »

So I fished the lake. The fishing was relatively uneventful, but that's probably because well I suck at fishing, and we were challenged at finding the fish and figuring out the lake.

Day 1: I arrived at my buddy's house at 3:00am and we arrived at the lake in Northern VT at just 8ish. We went straight to the river and launched in the southern most part of the main lake. The conditions were pretty calm but we knew Lightning and thunderstorms were coming. The whole place looked fishy as hell, and we saw busting pods of white perch with friggin seagull's bombing them. It was crazy to see that on a lake. Dan decided to start with pegged soft plastics and eventually started to work with a ton of different lures from spinners, to whopper ploppers, jigs, etc. Every fishing looking place, docks and overhangs and bridges were not producing anything in the morning. I bought before heading up a sinking line for my 8 weight, I had another 8 weight with a floating line, and a 6 weight with a floating line. And I started throwing clousers, the last saltwater flash dancer I had, Todd's wiggle minnows, deceivers of varying color and weights, and was trying to get through all the different depths. We ended up docking at The Eastside Restaurant and grabbing some great food and beer. Went back out, and found a pile of rocks in the middle of the lake, with slate rocks all over it. My fish cast in, I keep thinking I'm snagging bottom, but then I see a solid 2-3lbs smallmouth chasing my fly and not committing to biting it. Just following it around. then disappearing down deep. My buddy then threw in the same area a carolina rigged finesse worm and pulled it up from about 15-20 feet in the water. I ended up with a few yellow perch, and only chases from the smallies. We headed back to the camp to set up and wait for the storm.

The campsite had a lake called Salem Lake right next to it, so we launched there after setting up camp since the storm hasn't come in just yet. So we launch and go through the boat inspection (side note, at every ramp they have these guys who take all of your boat information walk around with a rag and some solution and look for invasive species to wipe off and pull off your boat at no charge.) We spoke with him and he pointed us to a sunken island. The wind started to pick up heavy, so my buddy through an unweighted Senko to the unsunken island and worked it for a few minutes just slowly dragging it around. Once again, A deceiver on a sinking line, got a slow follow from a nice fish but it never bit and I couldn't get it to go after it. The unweighted senko brought my buddy a solid 2-3 pound smallie (these things were short but fat, like a lot in their bellies.) In it's gullet was a claw from a crawdad.

The rain started coming in so heavy, that we couldn't see three tent sites over. Char-bo Campground was actually really nice with brand new bathrooms, and the showers were extremely clean. Not a single damn spiderweb under the toilets at all.

Day2: We headed back out a little late morning start after a lot of beer drinking at night. After the night storm, their was still clouds everywhere but we could see the sun and blue skies in the distance. The only problem was solid 20 mph winds and white caps on the water. We buzzed around to the places that worked for us, and also inspecting some new areas. Once again, sunken rocks, near those slate rocks seemed to be the key, and to get down 15 - 20 feet. We motored over to the Poulin Grain factory in the south bay side, and dan managed to use the rubber worm to pull a really solid, he says 4 pounder, I say bullshit, out from under a 12 lily pads about 30 feet from shore in 6-7 feet of water. I pull a couple of yellow perch and lost a tiny largemouth right at the boat as I was bringing him up. I didn't have any real crawdad patterns so I was trying to use anything with rabbit fur and clouser eyes, but was not getting as many chases or looks as with the deceiver.

After fighting the wind all morning we headed over to grab lunch again, and then took off to find more fishing at different parts of the lake. We headed up to the Canada side where we saw the border cut into the trees. and saw the check in station. It was an unmanned station where you had to pick up a phone and speak to someone. Then apparently you got a number you had to carry around with you, and it was only good for that day. The rules apparently is no anchoring or touching shore in canada unless you check in. We stayed in the us for the most part, other than a couple of illegal runs to islands.

The afternoon ended up slow again with a couple of small fish. including the one smallmouth I landed in canada and released in the US. Then the skies opened up again, and the lightning front was scene coming from the west. we headed back to camp where the rain was so intense that everything was just getting soaked. We woke up the next morning to the same lightning storm and heavy rains, and just water rushing under the tent, and in some places inside of the tent to where the wind blew the water up under the rain flap. We called it a day, and headed home after looking at the weather report.

All in all, the place holds fish. I mean GIANT friggin smallies, with reports of 6-7 pounders from April May being caught. In canada the big focus is the lake trout and you see them trolling all around, but bass fisherman are usually there for the spring spawn and the fall feed. Great fishing trip though with a good friend that I've known now for 23 years. A lot laughs, a lot more beers and a lot more memories.[/size]
John Gierach, Good Flies

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 11:26:00 AM »

:crazy :drunk :drunk :drunk :drunk :drunk :beer :beer
John Gierach, Good Flies

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 12:07:52 PM »

Nice report and pics, Ryan! I like the fact that you illegally imported a smallmouth to the US. Well played, sir! Your friend has a nice looking boat.

What was the beer of choice for the weekend?
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 12:33:32 PM »

I have zero preference in beer, I really don't. So if a person I travel with has a preference, then that is what I'm drinking. My friend is Bud Light guy. First night 22/30 and the next night we got to 26/30

John Gierach, Good Flies

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 12:35:05 PM »

Cool report - I'm surprised that station checkpoint is the same procedure as 25 years ago

I know that corner of Vermont well, we used to play Newport HS in sports

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 01:58:07 PM »

Gorgeous region man.
John Gierach, Good Flies
Pages: [1]   Go Up