Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dog Days of Summer?  (Read 70 times)

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
Dog Days of Summer?
« on: August 13, 2017, 12:24:49 PM »

I've heard this phrase more than once recently related to striper fishing this time of year. One friend commented (I'm paraphrasing), "I'm saving my fishing outings for the fall run, because the bite is slow this time of year". My thoughts are that I'm not getting any younger and will continue to go out whenever I can.

With this in mind, I hit a north shore beach Saturday at first light to see what I could find. Last Sunday, I attended a two-handed casting seminar sponsored by Beulah, Cheeky and Why Knot Fishing. I learned a lot about technique and got several tips on improving my casting.

With the light offshore winds on Saturday, I arrived at the beach at 4:30 and rigged up the two-hander with an intermediate Airflo Skagit Compact head. The goal was to improve my casting with these tips and maybe finding a few fish.

I tied on the deerhead deceiver makerel fly. With only one left in the box, I tied up three more on Friday night.

Not the cleanest ties, but very productive at this spot.

Fishing conditions were ideal -- an outgoing tide, light rain, low wind and overcast. As the clouds lightened with first light, I was rewarded after a dozen casts with this nice mid-20" schoolie.

Fishing was slow, but did find a few more smaller fish before moving to the mouth of a tidal river. Boat traffic here can be a pain on weekends, but with the rain, all the fair weather sailors were sleeping in. I only saw 3 boats with anglers setting up drifts to work the outgoing tidal run at this spot (several more on the other side of the bay).

After several casts, launching the fly into current and letting it drift, I was rewarded with the largest of the day in the upper 20's on the swing.

I caught a couple more smaller fish then switched to a full sink T-400 with a hollow fleye to see if I could drag a few off the bottom. I did get a couple more with the hollow before making the trek back to the car.

Whenever I walk this stretch of beach, I'm always fascinated by the shipwreck of the Ada K. Damon #shipwreck, an 84 ft. fishing and sand transport Grand Banks schooner wrecked on 26 Dec 1909.

I got back to car at 9:30 and did not want to go home yet. The sun peaked through and the beach crowds were low for a weekend due to the weather forecast of rain (while I sat there with the sun shining). Low was at 9:30 so I decided to go get an iced coffee, come back to the beach, shed the rain jacket and sight fish on the flats during the incoming.

I was back on the beach by 10:30 rewarded with some ideal sight fishing conditions -- incoming tide, sun over the shoulder and light offshore winds putting a slight ripple on water. I did spot two or three upper 20ish fish, but was not able to get productive casts off. I walked the uncrowded beach for 5 hours and was skunked, even blind casting to typical holding spots.

All in all, another great day on the water and lots of hero casts with the two-hander.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 12:29:46 PM by ginclear »
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
Re: Dog Days of Summer?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 06:29:36 AM »

Really nice write up Dean. 

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 08:22:08 AM »

Great report Dean! I was supposed to go out and fish the rips at Monomoy but friends boat that he put in for the season finally Friday ended up still having some issues. Luckily while waiting for a spot at the fuel dock Sat AM I took it upon myself to peak under the engine cover and discovered that we were taking on water. The engine, an I/O, had a failed boot on the shifter cable. If you turned the wheel to the port it leaked fast but to starboard not hardly at all. Then when we went to move to the fuel dock the starter failed. Doh. I was grateful we never made it out of the harbor  :lol

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 08:52:36 AM »

Great report Dean! I was supposed to go out and fish the rips at Monomoy but friends boat that he put in for the season finally Friday ended up still having some issues. Luckily while waiting for a spot at the fuel dock Sat AM I took it upon myself to peak under the engine cover and discovered that we were taking on water. The engine, an I/O, had a failed boot on the shifter cable. If you turned the wheel to the port it leaked fast but to starboard not hardly at all. Then when we went to move to the fuel dock the starter failed. Doh. I was grateful we never made it out of the harbor  :lol

This was almost the beginning of a good shark story

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 09:56:03 AM »

Excellent report Dean as usual!
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 10:01:03 AM »

what sight are you linking your photos from?
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 12:12:59 PM »

True Chris. Shakey looks like google.

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 12:14:09 PM »

Thanks, guys!

what sight are you linking your photos from?

I use google photo and then resize them with [ img width=750 ]{paste link from google photos here}[ /img ] (spaces are added in the img commands so it will post here). Is there an issue with doing this, Ryan? It used to be picassa but when they relaunched it as google photo, they screwed up all the links. I occasionally find old posts here and on my blog with the photos missing because of this change.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:16:31 PM by ginclear »
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Chasing Puffers since 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 06:30:59 PM »

Nice job Dean. One of the ways to combat the summer doldrums is to fish at night. This time of year, if you start fishing at dark you will have several hours of more productive fishing. If you start fishing at first light, the window closes quickly as the sun gets higher.

It won't matter much longer, in a few weeks (+ or -)the fish will start prepping for the migration and day time fishing will start to improve.
I have seen death... he drives a white Grand Marquis.
Pages: [1]   Go Up