Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spokane River, WA (trico's 2017 trip west part 1)  (Read 57 times)

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
Spokane River, WA (trico's 2017 trip west part 1)
« on: August 28, 2017, 09:30:02 AM »

Returned home on Friday from a pretty great 10-day trip.  I was assigned three hydro project inspections in ID/MT and scheduled the trip to coincide with my parents and brother's trip to Alaska.  So work paid for a RT flight to Spokane WA and I used airline vouchers to get from Spokane to Anchorage.  Since I do not use a photo hosting service, I am going to break this up into several posts, by location.  I figure that will keep, the non-imbedded photos somewhat organized and will also aid future searches.  The full itinerary was:
8/16 - fly to Spokane, fish Spokane River
8/17 fly to Anchorage, drive to Cooper Landing, fish Kenai River
8/18, full day guided trip through Kenai River Canyon, drive to Seward
8/19, Kenai Fjords Boat Tour, drive back to Cooper Landing, fish Kenai River
8/20, fish Kenai River, drive to Anchorage, red-eye flight to Spokane
8/21, drive to Boners Ferry ID, fish Moyie River
8/22, Moyie Dam inspection, fish Kootenai River, drive to Trout Creek MT
8/23, Clark Fork project inspection, drive to Thompson Falls, MT, fish Thompson River
8/24, Thompson Falls Project inspection, fish Clark Fork and Thompson Rivers
8/25, drive to Spokane and fly home

I got a super early flight out of Syracuse that got me to Spokane at 10:30 am local time.  According to my limited research, the Spokane River holds a naturally sustaining population of redband trout and is more of a nymphing river without much surface activity.  I rented a car and headed east of town to the Silver Bow Fly Shop for some local intel.  The shop was a bit hard to find, tucked back on a side road in an industrial area, but the guy at the desk was great.    He pointed me to a number of flies their guides had been having success with, mostly small PT and CJ style patterns with purple dubbing, then gave me some ideas of where to find good water.  I parked on a turnout a bit downstream from Riverside State Park and scrambled down the steep slope into the canyon.  The ponderosa hillside gave way to a floodplain covered with large cobble and boulders.  In the river, those bitches were slippery!!   The water was crystal clear to 4 feet or so, which helped the wading a bit, but not enough.  I was glad I bought studded boots, but they were out matched and frequent stumbles lead to frequent curse words and one dousing over the waders.  .  I worked about a 300 yard reach with a couple cascades followed by long runs fishing a variety of hopper/dropper combinations but with no luck.  Still a great location that I will return to if I have the chance.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
Re: Spokane River, WA (trico's 2017 trip west part 1)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 09:12:45 AM »

Really really really jealous of this trip already
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies
Pages: [1]   Go Up