Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kenai River, AK (Trico's trip west part 2)  (Read 73 times)

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
Kenai River, AK (Trico's trip west part 2)
« on: August 28, 2017, 10:15:06 AM »

While I was on the Spokane River, my brother and parents were finishing a week long RV trip from Anchorage - Tok - Fairbanks - Denali - Talkeetna.  I flew up and they picked me up in Anchorage and we headed south around the Turnagain Arm to the Cooper Landing on the Kenai Peninsula.  Much of their trip had been dominated by clouds and rain.  I like to get a window seat on the right side of the plane to look east at the Canadian mountains, ice fields and glaciers on the flight up, but this trip they were buried in clouds without a mountain peak (peek?  :eyeroll).   After a great dinner at the Kingfisher Roadhouse on the shore of Kenai Lake, we pulled into the Kenai Riverside Campground and I suited up and headed for the river.  Salmon season was pretty much over, at least in terms of salmon you would want to  eat, but the river was full of red sockeye and spawning Chinook.  I lined up my 6/7 wt switch rod and spent a few hours swinging orange and red marabou salmon flies at pods of sockeye as they slowly moved up river.  My main goal was to get in a few casts with the long rod before meeting up with the guide the next day.  Met that goal, but did not get any takes.

The next day we met JJ from Kenai River Trout Anglers and launched his 4-fishermen plus oarsman drift boat to float through the Kenai Canyon (Russian River to Skilak Lake).  JJ was an excellent guide, quickly switching between manning the oars, re-rigging gear (had two spare rods rigged and ready for the hand-off), unhooking fish, and helping with photos.  We spent the entire day drifting beads under indicators, both from the boat and from shore.  Not the most technical flyfishing, but it was very productive and we were into fish all day.  All 4 of got several rainbows and dollies each and I think I ended with 15-20 fish for the day.  We also saw both brown and black bears along the way.  We had to cut the fishing a tad short as winds were building on Skilak Lake, making the 1 hour motor to the take out a bit hairy.  At one point JJ was frantically yelling at me to get the spare plug from under his seat.  Apparently he had kicked the plug out as we were being jostled by 2-3 foot swells and he could not let go of the motor to look for or replace the plug.  We got the replacement in, but not before taking on a good bit of water.  My brother and I emptied the trash bins and started bailing while my parents sat in the two front seats, thankfully oblivious to it all.

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
Re: Kenai River, AK (Trico's trip west part 2)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 10:38:02 AM »

Awesome report. Great memories with the family!!

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 09:13:30 AM »

FUck yeah tyler!!!!
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 11:41:34 AM »

Excellent, Tyler. Great way to spend time with the family.
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up