Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boners Ferry ID Moyie and Kootenai Rvers (Trico's 2017 trip west part 3)  (Read 82 times)

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails

Got back on a plane in Anchorage at 12:45 am had a 3 hour layover in Seattle, and landed back in Spokane at 9:00am.  Not the most restful night.  Rented a car (lucked out with a Frontier!) and drove north to Boners Ferry, stopping in Sandpoint for a huckleberry milkshake.  Grabbed a quick nap, hit the laundromat (damn fishing socks get ripe!!) and then headed to the confluence of the Moyie and Kootenei Rivers.  The Twin Rivers campground is located here, on what I think is tribal land.  Paid 2 bucks to park, and at the advise of the attendant, headed up into the Moyie River canyon.  The Moyie is about 50 feet wide with clear deep pool separated by long riffles and runs and a freestone substrate that makes wading easy. I threw size 18 caddis to rising fish as I headed upstream and it took a bit to calibrate my hook set as I frequently set to fast and came up empty.  After about half a mile the banks cliffed out at a deep pool.  It would have been possible to scramble over a rock outcrop, duck under a few downed trees on the steep bank up stream, and continue up river, but I stopped and started fishing the current coming around the rock.  Getting a good drift was a bit challenging with the back eddy and still water adjacent to the stream, but after about 10 casts I saw a rainbow rise from about 5 feet below and take the fly.  Hookset came back solid and it was a lot of fun to watch the fish dart back and forth across the clear pool.

The next day after work, I parked on a small dirt road and walked a tributary about .25 mile to the Kootenai River.  Beautiful spot with some rising fish but I was not able to find the right ticket.  I spent about 3 hours there, then headed to my next hotel in Trout Creek, on the Clark Fork about 45 minutes west of Thompson Falls.  Some photos of the Moyie and Kootenai... 

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid

Tyler - you certainly put together a solid fishing mission with this report.  The pictures are awesome.  Nice job planning around the work schedule and hooking into the family outing.

You've had a pretty good fishing season all in - salt and fresh.

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid

In the river, those bitches were slippery!!   The water was crystal clear to 4 feet or so, which helped the wading a bit, but not enough.  I was glad I bought studded boots, but they were out matched and frequent stumbles lead to frequent curse words and one dousing over the waders.  . 

At least you got the obligatory collapse into the water out of the way early on your trip

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails

You've had a pretty good fishing season all in - salt and fresh.

Thanks Chris, yes, I feel very fortunate!  And salmon are entering the Salmon River!  Getting ready for the fall fresh water run!
Pages: [1]   Go Up