Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I Don't Think The Heavy Stuff's Going To.....  (Read 66 times)

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
I Don't Think The Heavy Stuff's Going To.....
« on: September 04, 2017, 11:33:55 PM »

Come down for a while.

Well, spent a couple of days this weekend fishing stripers with Ginclear and when we started out pre-dawn Sunday morning all I could think of was Bill Murray in Caddy shack caddying in the storm  :lol

Saturday was pretty much a bust. We hit a few places from the -canal- to a -bayside-creek- to a couple-mid-cape-southside beaches without much to show for it.

I was optimistic about Sunday with the nasty weather figuring it could be good for the fishing but tough for casting. Ultimately I was right. We started fishing about 5am in the pitch black with strong wind and rain. Started out of the gate strong with a nice high teens schoolie on the third cast that took in close. Thought to myself this is going to be good...

Then about forty five minutes later without a second bite I changed my tune.

Finally after a solid effort we opted to move up the shoreline a ways and that was the best decision. Ran into the only other one guy who was spin fishing on our way and he reported good action on schoolies but said he had to move around. We took a cue from him and started North. First stop we got some action and things started looking up. We only had a short time before the slack low and the turn to incoming. We had not fished the incoming here before so were not sure what to expect.

Moving around we were into steady action for the next hour and a half. Turned out to be a great morning outing on the cape. Most of the fish were in the 15-20 inch range.

We opted, like most everyone on cape Sunday, to go out to breakfast. A warm meal after standing in the wind and rain was in order for sure. While eating Dean made plans to show a newbie the ropes later that afternoon. We met at 2pm and the spot had white caps all across the water with a solid breeze coming at the right shoulder. Less than ideal for the first day with a new saltwater fly rod oh and no stripping basket. Doh.

The newbie was quickly schooled on reverse casting and he was up and running. Fortunately Dean's weather model was correct and the wind did abate and the rain tapered. Most importantly was the wind shift that greatly improved the casting.

In the end we got the newbie connected so mission accomplished. He seemed very happy with the results and I put on a clinic on how to catch a steady pick of schoolies.

He bailed out and we tried one more hole along the beach before we called it a day and I immediately connected with my best fish of the day (see last two photos). A nice 25 incher that put up a great fight.

All in all a great comeback after a slow Saturday...

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:27:54 AM by jeffsod »

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
Re: I Don't Think The Heavy Stuff's Going To.....
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 08:44:10 AM »

:lol great report guys. Way to tough it out in the storm.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 10:56:40 AM »

Great report Jeff!

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 03:32:45 PM »

Thought I would add my 2 cents on the weekend.

As Jeff mentioned, we started Sat. mid-day on the canal, me with dreams of busting albies crashing on the prolific bait (silversides and PB) all around us. If you read the Beulah thread, I landed my first fish on the new rod there, a two inch silverside harpooned through the gut by a sz 2 hook.

Then we moved to a bay side creek that had been producing at the last of the outgoing for the last two weeks. Nothing happening.

Then we drove back to Jeff's place, got some pizza, and then took his car to check the beach by his house. This is what we saw and, of course my rod was left at his house.

Jeff went to cast to them off the jetty and I took his car to get my gear. By the time I got back it had died. We went to another jetty and wandered out in the dark. I did manage a 17" schoolie on the new rod to keep Sat from being a total skunker.

Into the predawn storm on Sunday and lots of casting before finally finding some. We were doubled up multiple times.

The wind chased us from the beach for some breakfast and, as Jeff mentioned, we returned to meet Mick, who is a former Orvis employee and trout fanatic, but only fished the salt once before. Mick had just won the Hardy rod from Bear's Den and Scott set him up with a new Redington reel and line for chasing stripes. We found the fish again and even without the stripping basket, Mick got into a few. With Mick, we witnessed the conversion process of a fly angler from fresh to saltwater.

My largest of the day was around 25" fooled with an olive over with rodbender.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 12:49:43 PM by ginclear »
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 08:42:26 AM »

nice fish and nice double!
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies
Pages: [1]   Go Up