Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Albie vacation 2017  (Read 201 times)

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
Albie vacation 2017
« on: September 14, 2017, 09:28:05 AM »

Albie vacation 2017

Made my annual hunt for albies this week and was able to line up a crew of fly fisherman to come along for the ride. 

Monday: I trailered to stay overnight at Bobs house so to get rest and be able to hit the launch early.  Made arrangements with Paul Cuzzupe to meet up with Joe Calabrese and make the early drive south with his boat to meet us at a Dunkin' Donuts on the cape.   After a fair amount of scrambling around at DD we drove to the launch. Got on the water and was surprised at the massive amount of bait in the bay.  We motored slowly out to open ocean to go throttle down to our first spot, and just as reached the jetty mouth, a school of albies surfaced crushing the bait on the outgoing tide. Fastest trip ever to find fish, however it was a tight channel with a boat anchored up already, heavy tidal current,  so I made the dubious call to leave those fish alone and continue on. I'm sure everyone was thinking "WTF" but boat maneuvering around albies in the open water is tough enough, much less in the mouth of a heavy outflow.  So we headed to spot 1, waited about 30 minutes, and nothing.  Decided to head to spot 2 and thankfully it was on.  Surface schools, and boats tightly packed up.   The fish were willing to play, and over time, we all landed fish.  Fish were taking gummy minnows pretty aggressively, we went through some breakoffs, losing a lot of flies when I learned that Bobby was using a 10lb leader.  So we corrected that mistake before all my flies were gone.  One interested outcome on Monday is that both Paul and I lost fish near the end of a fight, when the fish is tired and ready to give up--- I was using 20lb flouro when as I was hoisting the fish up, the line suddenly went tight and I could feel an incredible burst of strength at the other end, drag started to scream again and the line parted at the leader/flyline connection!!  It was either a seal or a shark, but that albie was murdered by something. After the albie bite died- we hit a shallow bay for some schoolies, then called it a day

Tuesday:  Fishing solo, I made to back to the ramp early and got on the water.   As I was leaving the bay,I saw an incredible schoolie blitz I could not pass up, it I launched a fly and quickly hooked up.  Realizing I had somehow lost my lipgripper the previous day, I reached for some pliers to unhook the fish, and my finger caught the edge of a new fishing knife I had just purchased.  Suddenly all the blood on the deck of the boat was my own and I'm thinking this trip may be over before it began. I had no bandages, those had become mildewed on an early trip, so I went Macgyver and cut the elastic strap to my headlamp and turned it into a compression bandage around my finger.  I did have some neosporin which helped kill any bacteria.  This seemed to stop the bleeding, so the day was saved.   I motored to the fishing grounds from the other day, and twice the amount of boats and fish were there.  Managed 3 albies by 8:30. The bites died hard at 9:00 and I left to go chase schoolies.  That kept me busy until noon and I pulled the boat again.

Wednesday:  Made arrangements to fish with Dennis and he met me at the ramp early. Winds were calm and we made it to the spot quickly.  The fish did not disappoint and Dennis and I got into some spectacular blitzes, right up by the edge of the boat.  Dennis beat the skunk early by bringing the first albie in.  I kept forcing the gummy minnow out on these fish, for far too long, but the were not liking it. I finally changed to an anchovy imitation and hooked up on the first cast.   We were entertained in this spot for multiple hours. Dennis managed a trifecta with an albie, bluefish, and his personal favorite..a searobin.    After 10 million casts the fish in died off and we decided to try a spot Dennis knew well.  It was a long run, and this spot has some treacherous currents, but the fish were there.  Up and down really fast, I decided to play boat guide and just try to get Dennis on these fish.  We worked hard as hell, aggressively running down blitzes in heavy rips, dodging boats,all to snap off one cast before the fish went down.  I gave Dennis a heads up about heading back to the ramp in the next 45 minutes, and we both laughed when he said.    "Oh great, I'm up against a play clock". I was losing faith that we were going to be able to pull this off and In the last 3 minutes I raced up to a large blitz and we saw about 10 greenbacks dive right off the bow of the boat, and Dennis launched his fly right into the mouth of the final fish for the day, and possibly the largest. Instantly we had a new "greatest hits" albie story to tell at future flyswaps.   It was a dramatic finish and Dennis fought the fish in the current right onto the deck of the boat. We released the fish, point the boat home, and crushed a few beers to celebrate victory.   
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 09:51:22 AM by Chris M »

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
Re: Albie vacation 2017
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 09:36:30 AM »

!!

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 09:37:33 AM »

!!

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 09:38:55 AM »

!!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 09:41:20 AM by Chris M »

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 09:42:31 AM »

!!

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 09:45:19 AM »

Didn't realize it at the time, but Dennis's last albie looked huge, first photo in post above

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 11:07:30 AM »

Excellent report Chris, way to make the most of what I hear is a pretty good season.

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 12:47:56 PM »

Looks like a successful week of Albie chasing! I noticed that too about his last one. Seems like a lot of them around right now.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 01:19:01 PM »

I think you guys were using the fish eye lens on that bastard. :lol

really great fish, I'm jealous. The only day I got off this week is tomorrow and it's starting to look like absolute shit for weather.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 06:56:28 AM »

Congrats and excellent report, Chris. Dare I say one of the best albie runs in recent memory? Hope it sticks around for a few more weeks.
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 12:30:49 PM »

That's a great way to use vacation.  Congrats on some awesome fishing.

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Chasing Puffers since 2012
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 10:18:17 PM »

Chris,

Thanks for the invite, it was a great time. I really appreciate that you left out the part when I tripped on my own stripping basket and landed on my ass.

Dean,
In my opinion, at this point, this albie season pales in comparison to the last few years. There is still time for things to change my mid though.This year does have a couple of unique visitors in the mix though. There have been a fair number of smacks and kings in the mix which is pretty cool.

I was on the water today and from the get go the trip seemed doomed. The fog was absolutely brutal in the morning and I ended up with a broken boat when all was said and done. I have to say, the combination of fog and navigating solely by electronics is disorienting and terrifying. As for the fishing, things were very different, less fish, more broken up schools, and more finicky. I never sealed the deal with the fly today.

A picture of the fog as we pushed off the dock and when it got worse in the sound.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 10:43:15 PM by fishtaco »
I have seen death... he drives a white Grand Marquis.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 09:23:15 AM »

Chris,

Thanks for the invite, it was a great time. I really appreciate that you left out the part when I tripped on my own stripping basket and landed on my ass.

Dean,
In my opinion, at this point, this albie season pales in comparison to the last few years. There is still time for things to change my mid though.This year does have a couple of unique visitors in the mix though. There have been a fair number of smacks and kings in the mix which is pretty cool.

I was on the water today and from the get go the trip seemed doomed. The fog was absolutely brutal in the morning and I ended up with a broken boat when all was said and done. I have to say, the combination of fog and navigating solely by electronics is disorienting and terrifying. As for the fishing, things were very different, less fish, more broken up schools, and more finicky. I never sealed the deal with the fly today.

A picture of the fog as we pushed off the dock and when it got worse in the sound.

Further explanation needed of broken boat and falling on your ass.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Addicted to tying classics
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 01:07:33 PM »

someday!  I have them on the bucket list....I guess I would need a reel with actual backing?

Out of curiosity to you saltwater guys...hows this Hurricane going to impact the fall bite? 

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 03:36:09 PM »

Good question - I've seen it go either way -  Since any albie trip is a time/travel commitment for me, I wait for post hurricane reports to come in before heading down
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up