Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Albie vacation 2017  (Read 203 times)

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Chasing Puffers since 2012
Re: Albie vacation 2017
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 05:43:07 PM »

I would have loved to fish today and tomorrow with this storm pushing in, not just for albies but other species too. For albies after the storm, it depends on water clarity and how long it takes to settle down but there is still time for them to rebound. With the storm possibly looping back things may take longer though. If this storm was the first or second week of October it could really shut things down on the albie front.
I have seen death... he drives a white Grand Marquis.

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 09:39:18 PM »

Further explanation needed of broken boat and falling on your ass.

Shmeg in the carbs. Fucking ethanol! Hopefully cleaning the carbs does the trick. Luckily I have a good boat guy.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 08:24:57 AM »

ughhhh that sucks!
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 09:22:06 AM »

Further explanation needed of broken boat and falling on your ass.

Shmeg in the carbs. Fucking ethanol! Hopefully cleaning the carbs does the trick. Luckily I have a good boat guy.

Dennis - did your boat guy suggest it may have come about because the boat sat out for a whole season? 

The whole ethanol thing blows, I agree

joebe

• Largemouth
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 09:56:37 AM »

That ethanol cost me 2 months of fishing last year and a grand! It's ridiculous. So far so good this year. Drained the tank in the spring, then star tron and ring free in every fill up. Seems to be ok. Big problem is we don't run the motor enough.

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 12:03:46 PM »

Can someone explain the ethanol issue as it relates to boats? I understand the chemistry of ethanol in gas we buy, but why does it hurt boat engines?
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2017, 12:15:37 PM »

Ethanol draws in water and breaks down over time, breaks down rubber gaskets etc.  Less impactful if you run the engine more often, like Florida boaters get to do

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2017, 03:09:48 PM »

Is this a new thing? Extra ethanol in the gas or something?
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2017, 03:28:20 PM »

Is this a new thing? Extra ethanol in the gas or something?
About a decade old at this point, Ethanol replaced MTBE as an additive in gasoline I think in 2006.  At the time boaters (and others) were in an uproar over it.  A lot of people had expensive engine problems.  A lot of carburetor clogging etc.   
For my leaf blower and weedwhacker - I buy the non-ethanol canned fuel (for a premium unfortunately) at home depot.  For my little boat I will use mostly canned fuel as the season winds down so that it is what sits in the lines over the winter.  For the Lund I treat the gas religiously, and drain the gas tank for over winter storage.  Change the fuel filter each year.
I had the rubber fuel line on the Lund collapse internally, so the engine wouldn't get fuel, because of ethanol eating at it

Ethanol can wreak havoc on small engines and boat engines.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 03:30:07 PM by Chris M »

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2017, 03:48:35 PM »

The bottom line is the old MTBE fuel was much more stable and did not break down the rubber components within the fuel system of a powerboat like the o rings and fuel lines.

With ethanol a water separating fuel filter is not really an optional component like it used to be with MTBE fuel. Ethanol fuels are more susceptible to break down and attracting water molecules from open air space within a fuel tank. Once the water gets into the bowl the boat won't run or runs like....

I noticed at Raceway gas in FL they actually offer a Non-ethanol based fuel.

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2017, 04:06:46 PM »

This study shows that "drier" additives don't work very well either.

Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2017, 11:12:20 PM »

Chris, as with any machine, if you let them sit to long it's not good. But, with good old fashioned gas we didn't have to worry about this shit if it was treated. Unfortunately I have been heavily burdened with life issues the past two years so my boat has been in hibernation until recently.

I have a 32 gallon under deck gas tank, there is no easy way to drain it before the off season. With a 15' boat, 32 gal tank, 60 hp 4s, I would have to go to the Flemish Cap on my last trip of the year to drain it down.

Ryan, ethanol has been ruining motors since they switched over, not just in areas where boat seasons are short, all around the country. Ethanol is added to our fuel to support US agriculture and meet renewable energy standards. Ethanol is not needed in gas, reduces your gas mileage, and wreaks havoc on motors.

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2017, 06:18:58 AM »

I have a method that really isn't too bad Dennis. I bought an extra fuel line with squeeze ball and I attached it to the outflow of the external fuel filter, after disconnecting the main line to the engine.  Pump the ball to get a siphon going, and transition the gas to my truck, via 5 gallon gas cans or whatever.  Minimal headache,  and you get a full tank in your car, turning on the gas gauge to make sure you don't overflow from time to time. Admittedly with that size tank you might get a few fill ups to you and your wife's car, but that's not a bad thing. Once drained I dump a little stabil into the empty boat tank to soak with any dregs left over, then replenish with fresh gas the first trip of next year. Really not so bad.  A new external fuel filter helps with any condensation or dregs that come about in boat tank over the winter.

The Flemish cap method is not so bad either if you bring your longlining setup.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:22:15 AM by Chris M »

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2017, 06:44:25 AM »

The alternative is to but a small external tank and run down the main one over the season and use the small plastic tank the last couple of trips. But I like that idea with the added fuel ball.

joebe

• Largemouth
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2017, 07:50:54 AM »

I bought one of these. Put some alligator clips on it. Attach 2 pieces of fuel line, pull off the line at the downstream side of the ball, attach the pump, hook it up to a battery and pump it all into 5 gallon cans. Then run it through your vehicles. everything except my wife's stupid fancy car that only takes high grade. let's not get me started about that. It works great, a couple of the old guys in marina saw it and went right out and bought one. Probably about 50 bucks for everything.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up