Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Perfect Weather  (Read 87 times)

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
Perfect Weather
« on: September 19, 2017, 07:37:07 PM »

Stopped by the _canal_for a short time on the way home on Monday night but had to leave earlier than I had hoped due to other obligations but just as I was leaving I saw two keepers caught in the 40 inch class.

Needless to say I was thinking about it all day so swung by there again tonight. Caught the current change arriving just after it turned East. Weather was tropical with heavy downpours then nothing. First area I walked past was literally elbow to elbow with spin guys but one was landing a fish. So that was a good sign.

So I kept walking and ultimately found a nice outcropping with a great current seam and picked my way down to the waters edge. Being low tide and raining everything was super slick. Creepers really are a necessity.

As soon as I get settled I look across to the other side and see big, no make that, huge fish busting right on the waters edge with macks pinned along the shore. Doh.

It would take too long to drive around so I stay put and fish my seam ever hopeful. I hooked up a half hour later to what turned out to be a large fish but the fish. The fish slammed the fly and ultimately turned out that it was too strong for my leader and the tippet popped! I happened to be watching the area where the fly was when it happened and saw the huge boil which was about thirty feet away down current.

The fly was essentially the same as one that I had used on the epic trip to Monomoy a couple of weeks ago. I tied up two new ones this past Friday in anticipation of a possible second outing to Monomoy that was foiled by pea soup fog on Saturday. So after the fish took the first one I tied on the second Mackerel fly and tried swinging some more but prime time had passed and the current was up to full steam ahead and the school of big fish had moved on East.

The weather was perfect for fishing; dark, windy and wet.

The fly is below. I tried taking these in water shots at the canal Monday but the light was pretty low so they are a little fuzzy.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:23:37 AM by jeffsod »

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
Re: Perfect Weather
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 08:04:55 AM »

great colors on that fly. What's the material and are you tying them hook point up?

I love the canal but I've been reading that this year was an absolute shit show with people. More people than ever fishing that place elbow to elbow.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 09:00:25 AM »

Shakey the stories you have read are true. Absolute s***show. I have been fishing the -canal-after work the last couple of falls now during the week and by far this year I have seen the most ever guys out on the banks on a week day this late in the season. The word is out and literally everybody and their brother are giving it a go. But the fact is there are fish being caught. The good news is the Environmental Police have taken notice and have been making the rounds. They busted two guys a couple days ago and confiscated all their gear (rods, tackle bags, bike). These guys were hiding extra fish in their pickups so technically the EPO had the ability to take the trucks too and will eventually do just that. Not worth it to me. If anyone fishes the canal be prepared to produce your license and operate with the rules or pay the price.

As for the fly it may look like the hook point is up in that one shot but I was not getting a sharp enough image while pulling it through the water at the canal Monday so I let it rest on a rock. It is tied normally hook down.

The material is all Fishair tied with a piece of Bills Bodi braid providing a spreader on the front of the fly giving the illusion of a bigger profile.

If you go to this link and look at Rich Murphy's Pamet River Special fly tying instructions I am doing something similar with the bodi braid but I tie the material over the bodi braid spreader instead of under it-

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/102201fotw.php

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:24:18 AM by jeffsod »

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 09:26:08 AM »

I'm happy to see the EPO busts as well.  They post about them on their Facebook page. They always try to save the confiscated fish for shelters and food charities.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 11:31:49 AM »

that's awesome! Is the bodi braid stiff enough to act as a speader? You're talking the same material as a goldie right?
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 12:51:27 PM »

Sorry my mistake you are right that stuff is not strong enough. It is EZ Body tubing-

https://www.bearsden.com/product2065.html

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 01:20:11 PM »

ok, i thought maybe you stumbled upon the next great thing!
John Gierach, Good Flies

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 06:02:30 PM »

ok, i thought maybe you stumbled upon the next great thing!
I'm not sure about "stumbled", maybe give Jeff some credit for using some known techniques and creating a new design  ;) . Gonna tie up a few of these myself. I have the other half of the FisHair stash that Jeff & I bought together last year.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 12:00:09 PM by ginclear »
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

ToneDef

• Largemouth
  • I'm New
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 09:31:36 AM »

Jeff, really cool to see someone fly fishing the canal. I have seen some guys loading big fish into their trucks on my drive to work every day this week (I drive the length of the canal to work). I have contemplated doing it but would only want to do so at a time like when you went, when it is not crowded. What weight rod and tippet/leader were you fishing? It can be difficult enough landing a big fish in there on heavy spinning gear.

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 11:26:30 AM »

I'm making the canal a goal for next summer

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 12:01:03 PM »

will you be on another New England assignment? - it was cool catching up with you and Jeff at that spot this summer

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 12:46:19 PM »

will you be on another New England assignment? - it was cool catching up with you and Jeff at that spot this summer

Too soon to know for sure, but yes, the plan is to find a way to spend a good chunk of the early summer back out there somewhere.  Buying a house that should reduce our housing costs some compared to what we are paying to rent and will potentially be an attractive place to short term summer renters (close to fishing, close to ADKs).  So that should help matters.

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 02:49:50 PM »

I was using an eleven foot two hander that is the equivalent of a single hand 10wt. The leader I was fishing had only 16lb tippet but should have been 20lb minimum. I switched it up to 25lb for last nights outing. Nothing like trying to balance on a rock in tropical storm winds with twenty feet of water depth in front of you  :rain
Pages: [1]   Go Up