Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what fly line is best used with a bamboo fly rod?  (Read 78 times)

dryflyphil

• Brookie
what fly line is best used with a bamboo fly rod?
« on: September 24, 2017, 04:15:48 PM »

Hey Guys, what better place to ask this question?

First of all, I just purchased a Headwaters victory series 8' 6" 3pc 2tp 5wt Mckenzie river model bamboo fly rod a few days ago that should be delivered tomorrow. Probably like a lot of people, I couldn't afford a $2000.00 Orvis or a $4000.00 Thomas & Thomas. But long story short, for $260.00 I believe its not to bad, and pretty cool to me. A friend of mine loaned me his Headwaters Favorite model for around 2 yrs, which I'm not a pro but it felt pretty good, so I said why not?

Anyway, a lot of lines are designed for faster action fly rods these days. So this rod is a medium action bamboo and I'm looking for any suggestions for line taper/type/brand that you think would work. At this stage, I don't think I'm up for the upkeep maintenance of silk or maybe I am?

https://headwatersbamboo.com/shop/victory/

Thanks and any input is much appreciated.......Phil
"Fly rods are like potato chips, you can't just have one."

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
Re: what fly line is best used with a bamboo fly rod?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 08:17:56 PM »

So I have only limited experience in this, but our modern fly lines do work well with Bamboo rods, it's just a matter of sizing them. for my 4 weight, it worked exactly right with a double taper 4 weight fly line. Plus I didn't want a lot of line out when casting.

With that said if you're going for the full experience of bamboo, go a true silk line... but watch out for the price and care...

I believe there is a fly line out there made for bamboo called Sylk? or something like that, I could be wrong but I thought that was it.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 11:25:18 PM »

I put a Rio LightLine on my Fenwick glass that Jeff picked up for me. It's designed for slower bamboo & glass rods. I like the line. It comes in a WF and and double taper. https://www.rioproducts.com/products/floating/lightline-wf
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Addicted to tying classics
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 08:48:35 AM »

there is also some $400 line they made for bamboo rods...i'm sure it works even better :huh

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 08:39:13 PM »

If you go to the Classic Fly Rod forum this topic has been discussed many times. But the old Cortland 444 peach is one that is popular. There is also a specialty fly line for bamboo. I like the Wulff Triangle Tapers myself.

dryflyphil

• Brookie
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 09:57:02 AM »

Thanks for everyone's feed back on this question. I did email some of the line mfg's for their thoughts the other day. Obviously they promote & suggest their own product line, but it does help point out certain points when they explain about their certain fly line design.

Rio was the LT

Scientific angler was their heritage, Mastery and Amplitude

Cortland was their 444 Sylk.

Cool stuff from all points and thanks again..........Phil

dryflyphil

• Brookie
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 08:13:18 PM »

With me being a bamboo rod virgin before this cane rod purchase, I actually did some additional digging around & long story short, I just ordered some Hook & hackle DT fly line.
Apparently Cortland makes it and hook and hackle labels it, and it is a version of Cortland 444 Sylk.
After learning about this fly line, and reading many reviews from different sources, I played a little email tag with hook & hackle playing 20 questions. In the end, hook & hackle said buy it, try it and if I don't like it for what ever reason, return it with no questions asked. For $29.00 and free shipping, as well as that return agreement. Its worth a try?

Anybody out there use this hook & hackle branded Cortland fly line?

Guess I'll see how it works and performs when it arrives with high hopes.

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 06:33:14 AM »

Yes, I have one line I purchased from them. There is no denying it is a great deal in the value department but I never cared for the line personally. I would not buy it again. Certainly a Cortland product and similar to the sylk. I don't like the sylk line either. Too soft and not slick enough for me.

The Wulff line will be better I would think-

https://www.bearsden.com/product13321.html
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 06:36:50 AM by jeffsod »
Pages: [1]   Go Up