Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Topwater Bite  (Read 47 times)

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
Topwater Bite
« on: September 25, 2017, 09:06:02 AM »

Summer day yesterday with no wind, dropping tide in the morning on Joppa Flats.  Must have landed nearly 30 of these guys, all on floating line and a gurgler.  Haven't done floating line striper fishing in about 10 years.  Though most fish barely broke 20" - the aggressive hits made up for the small fish.

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
Re: Topwater Bite
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 09:39:07 AM »

Cool Chris, sounds like a good time.  Love fishing gurglers for stripers, don't tie those on often enough.  Was there a lot of surface action you were seeing away form the fly?  If not, what led you to the gurgler?

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 09:49:43 AM »

nicely done man
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 11:07:32 AM »

Cool Chris, sounds like a good time.  Love fishing gurglers for stripers, don't tie those on often enough.  Was there a lot of surface action you were seeing away form the fly?  If not, what led you to the gurgler?

There was a small amount of surface disturbance.  I could tell there was a lot more fish on the flats than the surface activity would suggest - it was pondlike calm- and the water was only about 3.5 feet deep - so I broke out the floating line and gurgler and started catching a fish on every cast.  I was like 10 for 10 at one point.  I did hook a sizable fish that broke my leader.  My fault since I probably tied on that leader in 2008.

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 12:21:42 PM »

Nice, Chris. I've waded the Joppa flats a few times. Sounds like yesterday would have been a good day for that. Did you see guys from shore there?
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 01:13:20 PM »

Nice, Chris. I've waded the Joppa flats a few times. Sounds like yesterday would have been a good day for that. Did you see guys from shore there?

I did not, however I was much closer to channel side of the flats than the shoreline, so I may not have seen if anyone was wading.  2 kayakers were hauling in fish closer to the shoreline.  There was so many fish I am sure wading fisherman would have done well
Pages: [1]   Go Up