Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Backing.....  (Read 169 times)

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
Backing.....
« on: September 25, 2017, 10:22:49 PM »

Backing check, yup, still good   :thumbsup:

Hit the _canal_ on Sunday with Dean for sunrise and it was pretty darn cool. We were there for first light, well Dean was  :lol, and you could hear the fish tales slapping the water before the sun was up. Once it was light you could see fish breaking all the way clear across the canal. It went on for at least a  half hour with acres of breaking fish. Most was out in the middle but occasionally little bursts of schoolie action would erupt right in range of us. But for al the fish breaking it was not lights out fishing. They were keyed in on small bait and very particular.

We kept at it until an hour after the tide change to the east and by that point it had slowed way down. Not much happening once the sun got high and the current up to speed to the East. We then moved over to a South side estuary mouth and had some fleeting shots at Albies. That started optimistically as we walked up to find fish breaking in casting range and had several shots at them before the moved on. Then we spent hours watching for them with fleeting shots. We both blanked. I left early and Dean stuck it out for the incoming but never had a connection.

So after a busy day at work without any time to think about what I was doing after I walked out the door to a beauty of a late September day which was polar opposite to most of last week's weather. Too nice a day to waste. Sunny, warm light winds.

So not really sure of where exactly started towards the canal thinking it was great yesterday morning maybe I should take a look and if it wasn't happening I could head over to a nearby bayside beach I heard was productive this morning. Arrived at my spot and found a river of baby herring along the canal edge. A large biomass stacked below this reef in a current seam that was bound to turn on with the ideal west tide.

I setup at my spot an within a short time I started seeing a wave of bait like you see at the ball parks but fleeing the water to my right work its way up tide in my direction. Once it got to me it was schoolie mayhem. My eleven foot rod was too long. They were right in front of me. Packs of schoolies could be seen with my polarized glasses swarming my fly. They would charge it but not eat if it stopped moving. People on the bike path were stopping and watching in aww as fish blitzed around me and I was hooking up literally at the end of my rod. All of a sudden the silly guy at the canal with a fly rod looked pretty smart to all the spin guys who couldn't buy a hit.

The pack of schoolies eventually left my current seam and just moved on eastward up the canal I could see bait spraying all along the way. There is a ton of bait in the canal right now. I think a lot of what I was seeing was baby river herring but there is a smorgasbord of different small baits. Over the next hour a number of huge blitzes erupted out of casting range in the center of the canal.

One guy was walking by with his girl out for an evening walk but obviously a fisherman and was kind enough to remind me that we were coming up on slack and with the sun getting low it could get interesting.

That it did. With the slower action and lightening current I was experimenting with a couple other flies. Really only used three tonight. So I had taken off my peanut bunker fly that got the first group of fish and put on a white muddler deceiver hoping the effect of pushing water might draw a fish in as there were some now surfacing out in the middle with the slackening water. But even the spin guys were not getting interest from these fish. I then tried my 6 inch mackerel fly to no avail.

While still working the mackerel fly and thinking about switching back to the peanut bunker fly as the current seam was starting to get active with little breaks I heard a noise behind me. Turned around to see a huge blitz in the now disappearing light. It stretched from the center of the canal all the way to the shore I was on! Water boing with fish and coming my way  :excited

I time the leading edge of the action and toss the mackerel fly and hoped...Nothing. Line in roll out recast and try again. Nothing. One more attempt and the school is now more than half way by me. Still nothing.

I quickly retrieve and cut it off. Desperate decided it was time to take action or miss out entirely risking missing the last of the blitz.

I tie on the peanut bunker fly using the quickest knot I know. This was a risky decision as I have had this knot fail on me in freshwater but didn't want to risk missing out entirely so I clipped the tag and fired off a cast as quickly as I could.

Two strips in the fly got whacked!!

Most of the line still out but the remaining line left in short order....Before I knew it I had twenty plus yards of backing out of the reel and the drag was singing. Then I realized I better get this fish under control as there is a group of spin guys not too far to my right and I could see a small power boat coming East towards me.

Luckily the current flow was slackening and  I was able to get the fish stalled without having to lay into it too much risking exploding my knot.

One guy was jogging by cheering me on as he could see the eleven foot Meiser was under the strain of a good fish. The fish made a couple of other shorter runs but I didn't panic and just took my time and enjoyed the fight. Eventually gliding it up on the rock reef I was on and took a sigh of relief. A quick measurement against my rod confirmed I just landed my _first Canal _fly _rod _keepa!

Yeeha....

The fall run appears to be on so get out there if you can.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:22:25 AM by jeffsod »

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
Re: Backing.....
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 05:07:56 AM »

Great descriptive story Jeff.  I was hanging on every word.  Especially liked the panicked fly change,  been there before. :salute

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 06:42:06 AM »

Thanks Chris. Glad you enjoyed it. Easier to write it if I do it when I get home and the details are still fresh. Below is a photo of one of the schools of blitzing stripers out in the middle.

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 08:21:55 AM »

Oh and for anyone wondering I revived her and sent her on her way. Figured it would be good mojo to release the first canal fly rod keepa  :jeffsod

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 08:51:09 AM »

great story Jeff! congrats on a great catch.  You're having a striper year for the books

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 09:26:40 AM »

excellent write up and thank you for sharing all the information. HATE Those panic fly changes. Everything goes wrong for me during those things.

Great fish too! I haven't had the guts to try fly casting on those canal rocks.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

bamboo

• Brookie
  • I'm New
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 09:58:34 AM »

Congrats Jeff,
   We were there at first light in the morning of the same day. Hooked up on schoolies ,but no large fish. Went over to Sandy Neck after, no action,just seals. Hit West Island in Fhvn. where the Albies made us crazy. Man I slept very well last night.

bamboo....mike

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
No Backing for me.....
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 08:20:26 PM »

Congrats, Jeff, on the first canal fly rod keepah!! I'll add my perspective to the Sunday part of the trip.

I arrived about 1/2 hr before Jeff and could hear the fish surface feeding while rigging up in the parking lot. I tied on an olive/white deceiver, waded into the estuary adjacent to the canal and tossed the fly into the estuary where the fish were actively feeding. I got several strikes before hooking and landing a small schoolie. I got a few more short strikes before wading over to the canal proper in hopes of finding some bigger fish. I saw a small school of mackerels swim by right when Jeff was arriving and tied on the FisHair mackerel fly tied the day before after talking to Jeff about his technique.

There were fish popping up in front of us but we couldn't get them to eat. We started using smaller flies and were getting strikes. I landed another small schoolie and then hook into a larger fish. I fought it for about 10 seconds and dropped it. I was fishing a synthetic peanut bunker fly at the time. All the time we were seeing massive feeds across the canal. After the tide change I finally hooked and landed what was the biggest fish of the day. Estimated at 26' to 27" it was a good fight on the Beulah Classic 10'6" switch.

As Jeff mentioned, I spent the rest of the day at a south shore estuary. It was fun to see the albies in close and shoot a few casts at them but zero action. There was tons of silversides and peanut bunker in the water and some of it was just boiling with no fish chasing. I speared a few on my flies.

I have to make a side comment on the Rio Intouch Outbound Short WFI/S3 that I was throwing all day.

When you can get a clean cast off with no tangles, it is a perfect line for the Beulah switch, but 70% of the time, the running line is getting tangled in the stripping basket. Very frustrating. At one point I even cut off the fly, cast it out several time to let it untwist in the current, but that didn't help. If I had hooked into an albie, I probably would have ripped an eye off the rod or loose the tip when the tangled part was flying out of the basket. Stay away from this line.

It was a long walk back to the car, but am glad I had some shots at the funny fish.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 08:25:11 PM by ginclear »
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

ToneDef

• Largemouth
  • I'm New
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 09:52:42 PM »

It's funny you say that about the Rio Intouch Outbound. I have the Intouch Striper line and have the same issue with the constant tangling in my stripping basket, and have found a good number of others on the SurfTalk forum that are experiencing the same thing. Based on your experience it sounds like it's an issue with the Intouch core more than anything that is designed with minimal stretch for consistent hooksets.

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 10:39:01 PM »

It's funny you say that about the Rio Intouch Outbound. I have the Intouch Striper line and have the same issue with the constant tangling in my stripping basket, and have found a good number of others on the SurfTalk forum that are experiencing the same thing. Based on your experience it sounds like it's an issue with the Intouch core more than anything that is designed with minimal stretch for consistent hooksets.
I'm sure it's related to the InTouch core. I followed that thread on SOL. I have other Rio Lines, like the LightLine that don't have this issue. The fact that it has minimal stretch doesn't seem to make sense that it would tangle more.
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Chasing Puffers since 2012
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 10:55:16 PM »

Nice write up and fish guys. Hitting the canal with the fly is something I only do a couple of times a year but it's always fun. The Fall run can be incredible there. Unfortunately the crowds and lack of etiquette has been brutal in there the last few years, even in the dead of night when I prefer to be there.
I have seen death... he drives a white Grand Marquis.

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 07:17:20 AM »

Great commentary Dean, and pictures.  Love fall run stories

RIO cannot make running line to save their f^&king lives.  Their grain lines have been plagued by this for the last decade, ever since they came up with the "Outbound" brand name.   I would take Orvis depth charge over any RIO sinking line 100 times out of 100.
 I went through 3 generations of Outbound (through returning and using guarantee, not buying) before I tossed the last one and had enough .  I spend more time untangling running line, than casting the shooting head.

All flyline companies should invest their R&D dollars on running line improvements at this point - they all could use improvement.  I'm not an engineer, but I suggest making them less supple, or use a different material all together.  I have thought about cutting all but maybe 10 feet off of the running line and just tying to the Dacron.  I have seen some guys with this type of setup launch Olympic casts without the shitty running line clogging up the first 5 guides.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 07:22:49 AM by Chris M »

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 08:24:33 AM »

Sounds like a critical email to Rio is in order Dean on this one. That aside one of the running lines I use in my two hand system I got from Steve Godshall at SGS and happens to be one of the best I have found. Not sure what he uses as base stock to make them. It is bright orange but the fact is it is supple and doesn't tangle. The only time I have issues with it is when it gets dirty then it will knot up when I shoot it out but that is my fault for not cleaning it more regularly. That said one of the Rio cleaning pads (think it is Rio) that Bears Den sells for $.95  really does a great job of removing the dirt. Even after I wash it the pad will remove a lot more dirt and recoat it.

One of the lines they talk about on Spey pages is a Japanese product Ken Sawada Flat Beam. I bought some but haven't tried it yet. You order right from his website. Great service.

His website-
https://www.kensawada.com/w/list.php?lcat=30&mcat=410&l=e

Dean maybe you need to clip the running line off from the head and install a loop and do your own running line.

Back on topic I went back to the canal last night. Lots of schoolies crashing the bait along the edges and I had a great time swinging a peanut bunker imitation through the rip and along the edges catching them. No keepers though.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 08:27:47 AM by jeffsod »

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Addicted to tying classics
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 09:03:58 AM »

I have three RIO lines I paid full price for (I hate paying full price for lines)...ALL of them tangle at the running line.  Nothing seems to fix the issue.  I don't run into it as much, because I typically don't cast a ton of line...but its virtually impossible if I wanted to.  For $80 it shouldn't be that bad.  For a long time I just figured it was my own fault; not caring for the line, or not stretching...but I did all that and still had the issues.  Glad i'm not losing my mind thinking this lol

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 09:37:18 AM »

Sci Ang/RIO both have been fucking up my fishing with tangles. The only thing that has ever really helped me with tangles has been stretching the line to get the curls out. BUT that will fuck up your line and over time you'll see stress cracks A LOT sooner than you normally would.

I have the RIO cleaner/coating bottle thing and before/end of the "season" when I'm taking the line off my reals and putting them into Quart size ziplocs, I clean them and coat them.

Before fishing I will pull out all the line into the back of the SUV or truck bed or something other than the dirt at my feet and as stretch arm lengths portions of the line until most of the Reel curl is out. That has helped tremendously with fouling. Not the cure, but it does help.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up