Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backing.....  (Read 170 times)

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
Re: Backing.....
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 10:20:22 AM »

Personally I think the reasoning that you HAVE to stretch your line before fishing is BS. You should not have to do that in this day and age. Plenty of lines are fine right off the spool. Seriously I don't want to waste fishing time stretching my flyline.

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 10:25:48 AM »

Personally I think the reasoning that you HAVE to stretch your line before fishing is BS. You should not have to do that in this day and age. Plenty of lines are fine right off the spool. Seriously I don't want to waste fishing time stretching my flyline.

Agreed.  I think the next big technology jump in increased casting distances is to figure out running line shortcomings

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Addicted to tying classics
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 10:38:27 AM »

this is why I cast only the head portion lol

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Chasing Puffers since 2012
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 10:47:22 AM »

Just the tip!
I have seen death... he drives a white Grand Marquis.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 10:51:19 AM »

Never said I agreed with it, but it is a band-aid on a problem until that perfect zero memory no tangle zero hinging fly line comes out.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 07:28:16 PM »

Fortunately, I did not pay the full price for this line. I found it new on sale for ~$60. I think an email to Rio is in order, Jeff, although I'm not expecting much action. And I really don't want a RIO replacement line that will do the same thing. I'd probably try to sell it used before cutting the head off. A replacement line may be a call to Steve Godshall at this point.
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 08:18:13 AM »

I went back to the canal for a short outing last night. After about forty minutes and getting the feeling it wasn't going to happen for a while I decided I needed a change of scenery and headed over the Sagamore to a bayside beach. The tide had just turned from high to outgoing when I arrived and the backwater was loaded with bait and schoolies. Spent a very pleasant hour and a half drifting flies on a calm balmy backwater channel to willing schoolies. One woman even remarked to me as she passed by with her dogs as what a pleasant way to spend the evening as she watched me hook and fight a nice fat one.

ToneDef

• Largemouth
  • I'm New
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 08:26:43 AM »

Hey Jeff what reel is that you've got? Looks like maybe a Battenkill Spey?

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 09:32:32 AM »

The reel in the photo with the fish is an old Lamson LP #5. I have that is a Spey size too (#7). I like them because the anodizing on them is bullet proof and you can find them for $100-150. I got a couple of them direct from Bill Archuletta who now has all the parts to service as Lamson no longer supports them.

ToneDef

• Largemouth
  • I'm New
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 10:11:49 AM »

Love it. I have been hunting for a reel like that one, older Abel, Islander, etc. Have yet to find one in my price range though. I need to unload this Van Staal spinning reel I have first.

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 11:19:02 AM »

If you are serious about that I would call Bill Archuletta and tell him what you are looking for. He may have more LP's but also may have something else of interest. Either way you will get input on their drags and worthiness.

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Chasing Puffers since 2012
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2017, 08:03:00 PM »

When I stretch my lines I hook onto my backpack or truck and walk off the amount of line I usually cast (12-15 feet is more than enough). After I walk off the line I give a couple of smooth firm pulls to stretch it. This is much easier for me than doing arm length sections.
I have seen death... he drives a white Grand Marquis.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up