Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Riptide Report  (Read 59 times)

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
Riptide Report
« on: September 30, 2017, 08:22:45 AM »

I have been conversing with a friend regularly about my reports from the banks of the canal and received a surprise phone call from his wife's cell on Thursday afternoon. He called to let me know that he couldn't take it any more and hauled his camper down and would be staying at the campground on the canal for several days. Unfortunately the first night was the one this week I couldn't join him. So we made plans to meet up Friday afternoon.

Friday afternoon came and I phoned him to see what had transpired during the day along the banks of the ditch and elsewhere. Also to check the winds. After reviewing our options it was decided we would go after schoolies. The tide would be flooding and high just after sunset. Winds at the time were odd. Over in one town they were West but over in another they were Northeast. The direction not being good for the beach front at the estuary but fine up inside.

We met up at 4:30pm and the tide was flowing in nicely. We started at the access point up inside but it was quiet and we could see birds working up further in the distance so we made the move down the estuary. Along the way we chatted with one of the regulars who was setting out for greener pastures with his kayak. A means to access a more productive spot to stand and fish. He advised a certain channel convergence point so we headed that way. Upon arrival we soon so blitzing fish just out of range on the opposite point at the bend where the channel splits. This went on the entire evening for the full time of the incoming tide.

We stood at our chosen point and marveled at the fine evening with the lightening wind at our backs and the now spectacular sunset and I soon noticed some of the blitzing fish were feeding in the side channel well within range of our casting. While we were working the bend in the main channel I did manage to pick up one fish the first on the Heddon Riptide bamboo circa 1950 outfit with the Warwick striper. So my evening mission was accomplished I had hoped to wet a line and pick up my first fish on the bamboo outfit.

My fishing partner in his haste to get out the door to go camping grabbed the wrong tube and ended up bringing his 10/11wt and a 5wt. He had intended on bringing his 7wt T&T 10ft Salmon rod which would have been ideal at the chosen destination this evening. So he was annoyed that his line though intermediate was sinking fast and he as pulling in a good amount of weeds dredging the lower water column.

After watching the side channel for a while and now seeing regular breaking fish I told him I was going to go investigate and try to get my second on the Heddon Riptide. A short walk up to the NW within easy view of his location he soon saw me hooked up and  followed suit. The channel was stacked with sand eels and the schoolies were rooming up and down gorging. With the now non-existent wind we had glass calm conditions with non-stop fish breaking up and down and across from our position.

The fish would hold in front of us for a time and we would get one, two, three then they would roam left or right and eventually be back. All the while the sky just got better and better and us facing west looking across a glass calm estuary with bait spraying and fish busting. Really it just does not get any better!

The Heddon Riptide is a fine tool for this job and probably the most action that rod has seen since it was built back in 1950.

After a little lull we got into some of the best action during the last light with fish stacked a very easy fifteen feet in front of us where we got multiple doubles to end the day (see last two photos)

This is one of those evenings we will remember for a long time. To top it off we both watched a greenish shooting star while the sun was just cresting the treeline....

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:19:23 AM by jeffsod »

bamboo

• Brookie
  • I'm New
Re: Riptide Report
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 10:41:48 AM »

Jeff,
  Thanks for the report. nice fish on that Heddon . great rod  & real combo.

later,
mike

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 09:16:54 AM »

Great report, Jeff! Conditions looked ideal. Nice rod too.
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 10:37:28 AM »

Amazing fall for you Jeff! Thank you for keeping the reports coming in
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

ToneDef

• Largemouth
  • I'm New
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 01:37:35 PM »

Nice work guys, love it. That is my absolute favorite place to fish hands down. The inside is great, the outside is great, it has flats and boulder fields. I was there the night before and managed some nice fish in the rip on my 7wt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up