Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sixty Minutes  (Read 52 times)

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
Sixty Minutes
« on: October 02, 2017, 06:39:37 AM »

Sunday I had thoughts of rising before sunrise and fishing for a couple hours. Reality was I had things to take care of and a little extra sleep would be good after staying up late. So after working hard all morning into mid-afternoon I saw it. An opening. Between wrapping up the days scheduled duties and going for dinner with family I had just enough time to drive the twenty minutes to the fishing location, fish an hour, and drive back. A quick check of the tide chart indicated it would be just about perfect timing. So I went for it.

Upon arrival the tide seemed lower than anticipated probably helped along by the North winds. I wasn't too optimistic as the parking lot was completely empty. I rigged up the rod jumped into the waders and down to the water. The clock started ticking...

I started near the access point then opted to go East and would double back to the opposite direction if nothing was happening. The first stretch of water looked good but was vacant. As I neared the end of this run and entered the best piece of water I was still hopeful  as some nice fish have been taken and lost here this season. I was also curious how Jose's impact was on this structure. Thing did seem different but not to bad.

My first cast was above some riffled water with a pale olive over white clouser and as soon as it hit the deeper water it got whacked. Fish on!

The fish immediately ran with the strong mid-tide current and a great fight ensued. This was no twelve inch schoolie but not feeling big enough for dinner. If this was the only fish today I would be happy. Turns out to be a very fat twenty three inch fish.

Mission accomplished. Hard to complain on beautiful fall day with bright clear skies low humidity and light winds and no loss of sleep to catch a good fish.

This could have been enough but as it turns out this continued for the next hour ending the outing with ten fish and at last a dozen missed hits. All good fat fish ranging from 19" to the largest at 26". Most were 23-24". A fine sixty minutes of fishing.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:16:46 AM by jeffsod »

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
Re: Sixty Minutes
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 06:44:33 AM »

Nice. Get there whenever you can. Good fish

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 10:36:53 AM »

That's awesome. Thoughtful planning and experience!
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 10:05:39 PM »

Slaying it, Jeff! Very nice.
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up