Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Somerset County Maine  (Read 69 times)

Ryan

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Forum Hottie
Somerset County Maine
« on: October 02, 2017, 02:38:14 PM »

Had a meeting up in Maine for work, so I decided I might as well make it a long weekend and fish a few days.
Meeting was on Thursday so I left town about noon with a bag of lunch and headed in to the woods before going to Camp.
Was parked and on the water by 2 with a wader full of beers and walked in to the first spot. Was planning on getting to the head of the pool below a long rapid I often fish to see if fish were staging to run out of the ponds and in to the rivers. I got to the head of the run and started stringing up my rod. As soon as I had my head down, I heard a fish rise. then another... decided to switch out the streamer for an emerger and fish the fast stuff for whatever was jumping. Before long I had missed more than enough hits to decide whatever was rising wasn't worth catching. Made my way back to shore, cut off the emerger and started back in to the streamer box. then another rise, this time I saw it, a big salmon right in front of me. Cut off the streamer and tried a small dry... this is when I realized I forgot my glasses and spent the next 20 minutes trying to tie on a #18 caddis....
 finally connected on that... with a smallie that was promptly deposited on the bank. then to a PT which apparently was the ticket. In the next 30 minutes I hooked and landed 3 decent salmon. One of them was 16+.
I'll skip Friday...
Saturday headed to a spot my father fished for the first time last year that I had never been to before. Hit the water and my father headed right (after the lessons of the previously not mentioned Friday, I went left... far away from wherever HE thought the fish should[ be.   

I got down in to the mouth of a river, and got out of the kayak and started walking and fishing the bank. Had a bump, but nothing really seemed to good here. then I hear an obvious splash further up river. I pick up the pack a bit, but continue to fish my way up river. then another splash. Then when I stop to take off my vest to load up on some sunflower seeds (still haven't started dipping again), I notice another bigger splash and as I'm watching, I can see a few rises, but lots of swirls just below the surface.  Now I am going a bit quicker, and not casting anymore.
Get the the giant pool where I see all the action, and first cast fish, second cast, fish third cast, loose one. Fourth cast, fish.  2 of the 3 were really nice brookies, so now I am jogging back to the kayak to go find my father (yeah, I'm a great son). Get back out to the lake and can't find him anywhere... I finally see him, he has apparently been paddling since we separated because he's about 2  miles away. I yell to him, see him turn, so I wave my paddle, and head back to catch fish (he knew where i headed to fish... I thought he would've gotten the hint)... 3 hours, and about 25 fish later, he finally shows up. I'm worn out. I had been hooking and releasing fish every 5 minutes for most of the day. I sit down, offer him up a fly, and crack a beer and watch him go to work...

Dad, between that rock, and this chute right here... nope, he's on the wrong side of the river....

Try over here.....     dad, dad..... DAD.

Dad, what line do you have on? Want my sink tip, I'm catching them deeper.
I watch him struggle for 30  minutes and finally go back to fishing. He watches me hook and land another 10 and still won't listen to me, switch flies, take a rod (I had 2, both with sinking line.. he had floating only) or even move to the right part of the river.

Now I am spent, and I have a long drive home ahead of me. I reluctantly tell him I need to leave so we start paddling out. He's trolling on the way out when he finally hooks up with what he is telling me is a great fish.
It was a great 14" dace.
it was easily the best day I have ever had brookie fishing. I caught between 30-40 fish. The best 5 I caught would've all beaten my biggest brookie I've ever caught. I  never moved more than 40 yards along the river bank all day. I ended up losing a ton of flies, emptying 2 spools of tippet, breaking BOTH of my wading boots, destroying my brand new Vedavoo sling, falling on a pair of very nice beers, crushing them, and my ribs. It was pretty impressive.

I'll post more pics later, but after digging my camera out of my waders for the 5th time, I turned around and threw  my camera in to the bottom of the kayak, and never went back for it. I think I got pics of maybe 4 or 6 of my first 10 fish, and never got another one.
I jokingly posted on FB before I left too that I was planning on catching a 5lber and wanted someone to tag along just to takes pics for me. Surprisingly, I had no takers.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
Re: Somerset County Maine
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 02:48:18 PM »

Excellent fish and a report with a picture.

but you sir are a walking disaster...
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 02:59:14 PM »

Thanks for the report!  It was a good read.  Hoping most of the bad crap happened on Friday, or was that all part of the good day?

Ryan

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Forum Hottie
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 04:48:18 PM »

Thanks for the report!  It was a good read.  Hoping most of the bad crap happened on Friday, or was that all part of the good day?

That all happened while I was running in 6" of mud fighting fish. they dropped the river for the fall release, and the banks were all a mess.
Friday consisted of my father convincing me that trolling in 100' of water we could slay them... he's getting lazy in his old age. I couldn't convince him with the cold weather the fish would be moving to the rivers to spawn and coming shallow. He insisted on dragging metal 80' down.

Ryan

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Forum Hottie
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 07:10:48 PM »

Some more pics

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 10:02:39 PM »

Incredible outing, Ryan! Nice report. I want to know how you broke the Vedavoo sling. Those things are bulletproof. I'm sure Scott will fix it for little or no charge.
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 06:07:20 AM »

Beautiful spot. Great report Ryan

Ryan

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Forum Hottie
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 04:57:52 PM »

Incredible outing, Ryan! Nice report. I want to know how you broke the Vedavoo sling. Those things are bulletproof. I'm sure Scott will fix it for little or no charge.
Didn't break it, I "destroyed" it.

Like I said, it was very very muddy. Falling on it multiple times has it encrusted with some nasty clay and mud. I'm sure it'll be fine.

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 09:33:35 PM »

That was a good read, thanks for sharing. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up