Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fall Stocking  (Read 103 times)

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
Fall Stocking
« on: October 04, 2017, 08:36:06 AM »

Well in case anyone missed it the fall stocking has begun. They update the website daily now with the prior days activity. Looks like mostly rainbows so far and that might be all that gets stocked this fall.  I think last fall it was mostly rainbows anyway-

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/hunting-fishing-wildlife-watching/fishing/trout-stocking-schedule.html

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
Re: Fall Stocking
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 10:20:34 PM »

Thanks for posting, Jeff. The Niss & Squan up my way were stocked with browns & bows on  Oct 2nd & 3rd, respectively.
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 08:32:59 PM »

Adding a snapshot of the details of the number of fish stocked this fall. I looked back and I had done this in 2015. The fishing has been slow at the ponds this fall and there has been speculation they stocked fewer fish. I think that might be true along with the warm temperatures throwing the fishing off too.

Looking back at  2015 they stocked 74,100 total fish comprised of 66,100 rainbows and 8000 browns. This year they only stocked (see below) 60,000 rainbows.

I do miss the browns and sure wish they would stock them in the fall again.

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 09:03:18 AM »

That lower amount is not insignificant.   

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 12:58:26 PM »

Doing some quickie math estimating 125 ponds that the state stocks in the fall (they don't stock the same list as in the spring) that works out to be 482 fish per pond at the 2017 fall number. Back in 2014 if they stocked 74,000 fish then it works out to 592 fish per pond. That means on average they reduced the stocking per pond by 112 fish.

gillbuster

• Largemouth
  • Straffen Linien (tight Lines)
    • Fly fishing New England
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 10:02:47 PM »

Wonder if MA fishing license sales have dropped or the trout production at the hatcheries were down this summer.... I remember one of the NH hatchery had a malfunction several years ago and NH lost thousands of trout to stock the ponds/lakes/rivers that season... It would be interesting to talk to one of the hatchery biologists
Pages: [1]   Go Up