Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally a good one  (Read 54 times)

ToneDef

• Largemouth
  • I'm New
Finally a good one
« on: October 09, 2017, 08:45:59 AM »

I haven't posted much because there are only so many photographic variations one can take with cookie-cutter schoolies. Last weekend I went out from 10 PM Friday to 2 AM Saturday with my 7# expecting only to get into the usual schoolies, and I did but then I cast over into a secondary rip that forms at the middle stages of the falling tide, and then I turned to zip my pack or something, then began stripping and felt like I snagged bottom until I felt the head shake. She ran down current then held there in the fast moving rip. Eventually I pressured her out of the current and into calmer water and then the fish ran again back into the rip. I was finally able to get the fish out of the rip and close enough to maneuver it in through the boulders to the rock I was standing on. It was a nice fat keeper sized fish and a hell of a fight on te 7.

This weekend I returned with similar hopes and my 9#. Found zero fish in the secondary rip. I moved over to the main rip picking up a few shorts along the way. Met up with a buddy who gave me a nice 9" flatwing type baitfish and drifted that, picked up some bigger schoolies and some very ambitious little fish. Then as dawn broke, swapped over to a cashmere/goat hair type peanut bunker and picked up yet more schoolies, and finally a good fish that ran nicely in the rip and fought hard coming to hand. It was probably close to keeper size, can't say as I don't measure fish often. But was glad to pick up another nice fish. I can count on one hand the outings where I have caught keeper sized fish this year, but it is great to see the vast numbers of schoolies as it bodes well for the future of the fishery. Til next weekend, :beer.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
Re: Finally a good one
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 08:50:01 AM »

Nice Write up and thanks for sharing. I can't count the number of species/fish I've caught, letting the line just hang in the water While I do something. Sometimes you just need to leave the damn fly alone and deep.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 09:27:04 AM »

Nice Tone

Fish like that connected to a 7 wt while charging a rip must have taken some finesse

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 09:30:19 AM »

I can't count the number of species/fish I've caught, letting the line just hang in the water While I do something.

It's not hard, I can count them for you.. the answer is two.   1. sunfish 2. chub

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 09:32:01 AM »

I can't count the number of species/fish I've caught, letting the line just hang in the water While I do something.

It's not hard, I can count them for you.. the answer is two.   1. sunfish 2. chub

I only catch a chub for you.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 09:52:18 AM »

So anyways, great fish Tone. Any surface pops or blitzing? Please keep the cape reports coming even if they are cookie cutter. Maybe I will try again from shore - I know there some beaches that Dean and Jeff do very well at right into November.

ToneDef

• Largemouth
  • I'm New
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 09:59:02 AM »

Will do Chris, there were a couple of small blitzes that popped up in the area. Saw juvenile silver hake (I think) along with some peanuts and sandeels. Lots of bait around. I talked to a buddy that fished an outflow a couple miles east of where I was and he said there were lots of bluefish around. Took a ride down Sandy Neck as far as we could (surprisingly it was open within a mile of Barnstable Harbor beach point) and we saw some pretty big blitzes a couple hundred yards off the beach.

Shoot me a PM if you are going to head that way, would be glad to meet up and fish a couple spots. I think I am fishing the same beach as Dean and Jeff and it does tend to produce well into fall.

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 10:01:46 AM »

If the harbor is any indication, huge biomass heading your way in the coming weeks. 

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 10:09:19 AM »

Awesome you got into a good one. Will have to wait until I get home to see your pic. Dean and I met up there Saturday afternoon for the evening bite and fished the last of the outgoing tide. A bunch of guys were fishing various methods. Very big tide and it was so strong most of the fish had dropped out of the estuary to the delta and bay edge by the time we arrived. If you fished the outflow in the right spots there was plenty of action. At one point the Western edge along the jetty it was a fish on every cast. But as you mentioned most were cookie cutter. I think the biggest I saw myself was maybe twenty two inches. They are fat and healthy though. No complaints.

Typically the late fall action is a little further North at the beach near the canal entrance. But the cape side can produce too. It is not over but the bigger fish will start to be a rare occurrence. Lots of bait means the schoolies will hang in there. I suspect this will be a good holdover year but hope the winter doesn't kill those off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up