Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fall Run Harbor  (Read 53 times)

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
Fall Run Harbor
« on: October 09, 2017, 08:54:25 AM »

Took Friday off to try and get some fall run action that I had been hearing about.

The fish were small, 18 - 22", but they did not disappoint.  Waves of surface stripers chasing large peanut bunker.  Did see some bigger fish that followed a hooked schoolie to the boat, but as usual the smaller schoolies get to the fly first.  There was enough fish that boat crowding was minimal.  90 minutes of intense feeding before things calmed down around 9:00.

Cuzzupe went out on Saturday and said it was the same thing.  Probably going to winterize the boat and shift towards trout fishing at this point, given the weekend schedules not allowing for it again before the run is over.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
Re: Fall Run Harbor
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 09:01:58 AM »

Nicely done! I've been waiting to hear this report. Nicely done. Trout fishing eh?
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 09:17:26 AM »

Incidentally, though not terribly scientific, but I have been keeping track of my yearly striper catch since 2003.

This year I have had one of my best years since 2005, and I do not believe I fished that hard this year, when compared to others where I did not do as well. 

I do believe it is correlative of a couple of stronger YOY indexes in the past 5 years

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 09:26:55 AM »

Incidentally, though not terribly scientific, but I have been keeping track of my yearly striper catch since 2003.

This year I have had one of my best years since 2005, and I do not believe I fished that hard this year, when compared to others where I did not do as well. 

I do believe it is correlative of a couple of stronger YOY indexes in the past 5 years

Scott at Bear's Den, told me something similar. He said the reports were really strong this year. Lots of big fish, and the most fish we have seen in a really good long while. The Albie report was similar that there were a lot to be had this year, and just an overall great year for cape cod.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

ToneDef

• Largemouth
  • I'm New
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 10:01:23 AM »

Looks like some pretty awesome blitzes. Nice work! Glad to hear the reports across the board are strong. So hopefully things just continue to improve as time goes by.

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 10:14:02 AM »

By far my best season in recent memory. No scientific but I have taken more keepers on the fly this year than I have ever in any season. Period. Season started strong with a 27 inch fish taken from shore in April!

Bottom line it is a good time to be a striper fly fisherman.

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Chasing Puffers since 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 09:18:34 PM »

Scott at Bear's Den, told me something similar. He said the reports were really strong this year. Lots of big fish, and the most fish we have seen in a really good long while. The Albie report was similar that there were a lot to be had this year, and just an overall great year for cape cod.

Not my experience with the albies this year. The season got off to a late start, there was a pop, and things have been tapering from there. There have been a couple decent days mixed in but at this point I am not giving the albie season a good grade. Still a couple of weeks to go but I doubt things are going to improve.
I have seen death... he drives a white Grand Marquis.
Pages: [1]   Go Up