Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wind from the East...  (Read 138 times)

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Chasing Puffers since 2012
Wind from the East...
« on: October 13, 2017, 10:36:12 PM »

... bla, bla, bla.  :jackoff

I have always been a fish when you can, not when you should type of angler. That formula worked out ok for me today.

I was sitting at lunch today thinking about fishing. I texted a couple of people to try to gather some intel but everyone said the same thing. "It's not worth it, the wind in honking from the East." I can't fish until Sunday afternoon so I was getting a little edgy. I tied up a couple of loose ends at work and bounced.

I pointed the truck down the rhode thinking I could get a few hours on the water before dark. I got on the water around 230 and things did not look great due to a lot of weed. Not long after, I saw the unmistakable frothing of albies feeding heavily, things suddenly looked better. I didn't get a shot into that pod but luckily there were more to come.

After a few casts being ruined by weed I got a clean shot into a pod, and had a taker. After a spirited fight I landed the fish, a decent sized specimen to boot. I got back on my perch , stripped out some line, and another pod popped up. Surprisingly I threw a decent cast and I was hooked up again. Unfortunately after the first run my leader broke. Good bye pink Mikelson. The pod was still in sight so I ripped open my fly wallet and hastily tied on the first albie fly I saw, a bunny epoxy tied on a #4 hayabusa.

I shot (like a cork gun shot, not a real shot, I'm not capable of that) out a cast and a couple of strips later I was tight again. Albie #2 was soon in my hands. Over the next two hours I was able to make the best of my chances and landed another 4 fish. Not to shabby for fishing a few hours in "unproductive" conditions.

Bait was a mix of silversides, anchovy, and bunker. This combo helped out I think. In my experience, when the fish are on one type of bait they can be harder to catch.

One observation I would like to share. A lot of years there is a short late season pop in albie activity just before the numbers really start to drop. That pop may or may not be happening but today certainly had that feeling. If this happens there will still be fish around but it's harder to scratch them up.
I have seen death... he drives a white Grand Marquis.

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
Re: Wind from the East...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 09:10:14 AM »

So was that six albies from shore on the fly? If so that is a pretty incredible outing.

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 10:31:03 AM »

Yeah Jeff, all six fish were on the fly. One on the mikelson and 5 on the bunny. I really wish I took the whole day off but sometimes work gets in the way. Maybe I can burn a full day early next week. I'll be out for a few hours tomorrow afternoon, hopefully I get another crack at those fish.

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 11:31:46 AM »

Sounds like you didn't need the whole day  :thumbsup:

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Addicted to tying classics
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 07:38:10 PM »

I wish I never heard that little jingle "wind from the East fish bite least"...it's ruined me lol

How's that looomis short stick?

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 11:49:23 PM »

Matt,

I really like the Short Stix, particularly for work from the rocks and boat. I know some of this may sound like an advertisement but here is what I like about the rods.

The 7.5' length makes landing fish in a boat or on the rocks a lot easier. Being able to control a fish in close quarters is a big benefit when I can't back up and slide a fish into shallow water. With a typical 9' rod I would get a decent fish in close, strip in a few feet of line, raise the rod, release the slack line, and try to grab the leader to land fish. With the Short Stix, I can put good low pressure on the fish up until the end of the fight, raise the rod, and grab the line. This makes landing fish easier for me.

The weight of the rods are pretty low. I can cast them for longer periods of time without my shoulder feeling like chalk rubbing on sandpaper. This is a big plus. I was using the Short Stix 8/9 with a Nautilus CCF8 and that combo is super light compared to other outfits I use for albies.

I use the Short Stix with short head lines that allow me to push out a cast fairly quickly. This combination allows me to mask my casting deficiencies and still get a fly out there. 

The Short Stix will not fully replace my longer rods but they are a good tool for some of the fishing I do.

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 05:55:18 AM »

Incredible shore success. That's awesome

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 01:20:54 PM »

Damn, Dennis. Nicely done!! I went 0-1 this season so far and am not sure if I'll have another shot at them until next year. Great to see them being caught in numbers this year and you having success from shore.
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 09:14:15 PM »

Hit the water again today but I didn't get to the spot until around 4 (pm) due to my kids football game. The water was clean but the wind was honking again. At least the wind was in the "preferred" direction. Unfortunately someone forgot to inform the fish. There were a few fish around but it was pretty lean.

After an hour of blind casting I had my only real shot, luckily I was able to make the best of it. At least I had a better batting average than the other day.

ToneDef

• Largemouth
  • I'm New
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 08:34:39 AM »

Damn fine work! Way to go. Love to see this kind of success from the shore. And I agree that the whole east wind thing is a bust. I think it's like fly selection - if you don't have confidence in your fly, you subconsciously won't fish it to the best of your ability and therefore will be less productive because of it. Same goes for wind (not all the time, but sometimes). If I hit a beach with a NE facing pocket, all the better as bait will probably be driven into the pocket.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 08:39:24 AM »

son of
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 08:45:56 AM »

You've got that look of albie madness in your face. It's too late to help you, too far gone  :(

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Addicted to tying classics
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 09:00:02 AM »

Matt,

I really like the Short Stix, particularly for work from the rocks and boat. I know some of this may sound like an advertisement but here is what I like about the rods.

The 7.5' length makes landing fish in a boat or on the rocks a lot easier. Being able to control a fish in close quarters is a big benefit when I can't back up and slide a fish into shallow water. With a typical 9' rod I would get a decent fish in close, strip in a few feet of line, raise the rod, release the slack line, and try to grab the leader to land fish. With the Short Stix, I can put good low pressure on the fish up until the end of the fight, raise the rod, and grab the line. This makes landing fish easier for me.

The weight of the rods are pretty low. I can cast them for longer periods of time without my shoulder feeling like chalk rubbing on sandpaper. This is a big plus. I was using the Short Stix 8/9 with a Nautilus CCF8 and that combo is super light compared to other outfits I use for albies.

I use the Short Stix with short head lines that allow me to push out a cast fairly quickly. This combination allows me to mask my casting deficiencies and still get a fly out there. 

The Short Stix will not fully replace my longer rods but they are a good tool for some of the fishing I do.

Thanks!  All the same reasons i've come up with for wanting to buy one.  Goddamn 9ft rods in a kayak are nothing short of the worst.  Is the Short Stix a one piece rod?

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 09:51:01 AM »

I think they are all 3 pieces.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 10:06:07 AM »

Shakey is right, the rods are all 3 piece. I really wish they would make a one piece though. I had a conversation with the Loomis rep and he said a one piece would be tough to make because the tip section of the Short Stix is made from a different blend of materials than the bottom two sections. I'm not sure how accurate that statement is though.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up