Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tippet?  (Read 58 times)

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
Tippet?
« on: October 16, 2017, 07:53:49 PM »

Ok, so I stopped to trout fish on the way home tonight and broke off three different fish. Maybe it is just me adjusting back to trout fishing from strip setting on stripers all summer. But it got me thinking what is everyone's favorite tippet for trout fishing. Light dry fly type stuff say 5X, 6X or 7X?

I bought some trout hunter stuff at the bears den last spring and this might really be the first use of it. Not liking it.

So curious what is your favorite?

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Chasing Puffers since 2012
Re: Tippet?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 08:15:00 PM »

A rep for Stroft gave me a shit ton (40-50 spools) of leader in multiple sizes. I have been using that for a few years and like it a lot. I also use Maxima Ultragreen quite a bit.
I have seen death... he drives a white Grand Marquis.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 08:35:53 PM »

Maxims ultragreen for me.  Really like it. 
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 09:22:37 PM »

I tend to buy Orvis mono and fluoro when it's on sale and always been happy with it.

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 06:30:44 AM »

Thank you for the input. That maxima stuff has been around a long time. Guess for good reason. Will have to try it. I actually had a spool in my hand to buy recently but didn't.

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 09:08:54 AM »

I took a spey casting lesson a couple weeks ago and maxima chameleon came highly recommended for salmon and steelhead.  I typically by Rio products for light tippet.

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 09:30:08 AM »

I use maximum green, tied to either 5X,4x, or 3x orvis mirage flouro.  I also often buy tapered orvis leaders, and tied to flouro.

Incidentally prior to going for albies - I have had a hard time locating 20 lb flouro in the flyshops I frequent.  Was at Kmart and saw some 17lb flouro spools marketed for conventional rods so I picked it up.  The diameter was about 25% larger than the 20lb Orvis mirage I still had a little bit left of to compare.  So not quite the same as we have discussed here before.

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 12:50:23 PM »

I was looking through my supply of tippet this morning and found some spools of Dairiki tippet that someone gave me this summer so I will try those to see if it is any better. Will try some of the Maxima when I get by the den next too.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 03:35:33 PM »

I forget the brand,  I'm going to have to look into my bag, but for freshwater,  I've used this tippet material and maxima ultra green, that has a little stretch. I've stepped away from 100% flouro except for saltwater. 
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies
Pages: [1]   Go Up