Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Islander No. 3  (Read 74 times)

ToneDef

• Largemouth
  • I'm New
Islander No. 3
« on: October 17, 2017, 03:51:41 PM »

I am thinking about picking up a black Islander No. 3 reel for use as a 9 wt. Seems to be on par with the older Abel's and other cork drag reels of that era. I love the old school look and it seems to be a well built, low maintenance reel. Anyone here own one or have any experience with one? Bear's Den has a fair deal on a used one.

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
Re: Islander No. 3
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 07:24:55 PM »

If you go on Spey pages and search the name I think you will find they are pretty well liked in the NW. They are more common out that way as that is where they are made. I have no personal experience with them.

ToneDef

• Largemouth
  • I'm New
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 08:44:42 AM »

I went to the Bear's Den last night and ended up getting the reel. It is a tank, but no heavier than my Bass Pro Kingfisher 9/10. I have a feeling I'll end up loading about 300 yds. of backing on it and then using it on my switch rod. The cork drag seems sweet. I have never used anything other than carbon/stainless and teflon. Now if only I can learn to cast the damn switch rod...

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 11:06:08 AM »

Half the battle is having a well matched line. What are you using on yours? Are you trying to cast two handed overhead?

ToneDef

• Largemouth
  • I'm New
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 11:13:32 AM »

The rod is a Powell Endurance XL 1138-4, 11'3" 8 wt. that I got as a gift a couple years ago. I think it was purchased on discount from The Clymb .com. I have an Airflo 40+ 10 wt. line, not exactly certain which one. I think it may be the 40+ Sniper, based on my recollection of the packaging and the line itself (haven't broken it out in a year or so). I can overhand cast the setup pretty well, not sure if that says anything about how well matched the rod and line are.

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 12:01:19 PM »

Half the battle is having a well matched line. What are you using on yours? Are you trying to cast two handed overhead?

I agree this is key, and finding the sweet spot to start your cast.  I started putting a mark on my line at the reel when the right amount of line is out the rod to start the cast.  This is helping me make sure I am consistent with my starting point.  Being off by 6-12 inches can have a big effect on how the rod loads.  The other main thing I learned recently, for spey and scandi style casting, is to keep your eye on your leader after setting your anchor.  As soon as the leader turns in the direction of the D loop, its time for the forward cast, and the forward cast should be parallel to the direction the leader turns to.  Paid a lot of money for lessons recently, so that is much more that my $0.02 worth  :lol
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 12:21:56 PM by trico22 »

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 12:55:17 PM »

Tyler is right if your off by as little as six inches on having the head in or out it can greatly affect the cast. As for the line the best lines for two handing are the shorter heads in my experience. You don't want a forty foot head for two hand over head casting.

ToneDef

• Largemouth
  • I'm New
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 01:14:42 PM »

Great info, thanks guys. As for the head, this Sniper line I have has about a 28 foot head overall - 5.5 ft. of front taper, 20 ft. of belly, and 2 ft. of rear taper.

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 06:30:06 PM »

I was by there this afternoon and the used reel case is FULL. Lots of new stuff and Scott had a couple on his desk he was working on getting ready for the case. There was an islander the next size up too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up