Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: First timer's first fish  (Read 101 times)

ToneDef

• Largemouth
  • I'm New
First timer's first fish
« on: October 17, 2017, 04:01:31 PM »

Saturday was rainy and humid as hell but I had planned to take an old friend who had never fly fished before out that day to try to teach him (poorly I might add) to fly cast and maybe, as a fringe benefit, get him on a striper or two. There was barely a gust of wind though, which created ideal conditions for a first-timer. I let him use my Echo Base 7 wt. with Rio Mainstream line because it is a very forgiving rod to cast - it does its very best to avoid tailing loops and has a moderate action. We hit a spot that some of you guys are familiar with in time for the end of the mid-day falling tide. I talked him through the mechanics of casting and eventually had him drifting a small peanut bunker imitation out over a short dropoff and into a rip formed by the tidal flow. It was really ideal because it did not require long casts to get into fishy water. Well lo and behold, a few drifts later he was into a nice schoolie, probably best fish of the day! He says he is hooked. I was happy to get someone new into the sport.

I will add this - it is VERY hard to teach someone to cast. It is so difficult to put words and explanations to what comes as muscle memory and seems so easy to most of us. I have a huge amount of respect for casting instructors.

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
Re: First timer's first fish
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 05:30:22 PM »

Excellent, ToneDef! Jeff & I were there for the incoming until sunset. It was lights out with dozens of fish caught between us.
I have to agree about teaching someone to cast, especially your significant other. No easy task.
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Chasing Puffers since 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 05:58:56 PM »

Nice job getting a new guy into fish TD. I have tried to teach a couple of people how to fly cast with little success. It's hard for me to teach people how to catch fish with a spinning set up.
I have seen death... he drives a white Grand Marquis.

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 06:42:46 PM »

Great job!  Just in case he isn't completely hooked, you better take him out a few more times.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 08:58:04 PM »

Nice Job! I got one of the members on here hooked, casting really shitty flies, in a really shitty place, in the worst time of the year. But they knew from the start they were in. Next was bluegill fishing the following spring just hammering bluegills after work at a local puddle. then stripers and then Steelhead.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 06:56:32 AM »

Cool! Yes, we were there and the fishing has been great lately. He should probably see a dermatologist about his face though  :lol kidding

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Addicted to tying classics
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 08:22:13 AM »

agreed...not easy to do.  Not easy teaching a 4 year old either.

Grabbing the rod like that makes me cringe too lol

ToneDef

• Largemouth
  • I'm New
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 08:47:06 AM »

Definitely planning on getting him out there a bit more. Hopefully this weekend again if I can get him to commit to one of the early AM tides. By far my favorite time of day.

And yeah I had to jump in there and help him land the fish when I saw him moving his hands up the rod to bring it in. But in his defense, there is no real good way to bring a fish in at that spot with the current moving, unless you've got the side pressure thing down.

ToneDef

• Largemouth
  • I'm New
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 08:48:54 AM »

Excellent, ToneDef! Jeff & I were there for the incoming until sunset. It was lights out with dozens of fish caught between us.
I have to agree about teaching someone to cast, especially your significant other. No easy task.

Hey nice! I will admit I haven't really fished there on the incoming much this year, but I did have a lot of success last year fishing the incoming right where the current hits that steep spot in the creek mouth and swinging my fly up over that. Did you guys stay around the mouth or go up in the backside?

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 10:31:51 AM »

Hey nice! I will admit I haven't really fished there on the incoming much this year, but I did have a lot of success last year fishing the incoming right where the current hits that steep spot in the creek mouth and swinging my fly up over that. Did you guys stay around the mouth or go up in the backside?
We stayed at the mouth and were taking them on almost every cast swinging in the current. Even some topwater hits when the fly touched the water. A regular there moved up into the estuary and was getting them well past the sunset.
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

ToneDef

• Largemouth
  • I'm New
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 10:56:03 AM »

Nice was that Patrick? He seems to be there almost every evening. Great guy to fish with!

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 11:04:50 AM »

Probably was Patrick. I have yet to get his name but he is there every time I go.

ToneDef

• Largemouth
  • I'm New
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 11:06:05 AM »

Shorter older guy with white hair and white mustache? Usually wearing an LL Bean guide hat. If so that would be Patrick.

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 12:50:56 PM »

Ok, yes. Good to put a name with the face. I have meaning to ask him.

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 07:48:22 PM »

Cool! Yes, we were there and the fishing has been great lately. He should probably see a dermatologist about his face though  :lol kidding

judging by the look on his face, that fish gave a hell of a fight
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up