Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ken Abrames blanks  (Read 43 times)

jalthoff

• Largemouth
  • I'm New
Ken Abrames blanks
« on: October 28, 2017, 05:30:26 PM »

May not be news to anyone but me (work has kept me way too busy this year, with little fishing and even less time lurking on fly fishing related sites) but I was just over on the Bear's Den Discount site and saw they have some NOL Ken Abrames blanks.

I've heard about the blanks for years and could not help grabbing a 10.5' 7 weight for a winter build project.  Because I really need more rods .....   :help

(Not sure if this post is violating some rule on not giving "heads up posts" or the like - if so please delete!)

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
Re: Ken Abrames blanks
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 06:25:25 PM »

Ha! Yes, the builder of the rods passed. Heritage was the builders label. Scott got everything from the builders widow I think. I have one of the built out rods that were sold by the saltwater edge. One thing to keep in mind is that as a single hander ken specified a special fighting butt for that blank. I am happy to let you check mine out if we get together some time. The special thing about the butt is that it is weighted. Really makes a difference as a single hander.

jalthoff

• Largemouth
  • I'm New
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 07:43:09 PM »

Interesting Jeff!  I was thinking about length and need for weight in the butt for balance and was thinking about an old heavy saltwater reel for it - maybe an old Abel or Orvis Odyssey III to balance (happily both options require no more purchases!).

Other thing I was thinking about was a wood fighting butt like a lot of custom spey rod builders (Anderson, Meiser) do.

So many options, and so important because I really, really needed a 2 piece, 10.5' single hand rod!

Would love to check yours out some time ....

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 08:25:54 PM »

Nope no rules violated.  In fact i love heads up posts.  Heads up shoot fishing, sales etc.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies
Pages: [1]   Go Up