Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pulaski  (Read 243 times)

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
Pulaski
« on: November 13, 2017, 10:00:45 AM »

I'm trying not to Jinx it... because shit tends to happen lately... But there is a really good possibility that I'm leaving to do some Steelhead fishing this wednesday night through sunday morning.....

Again.. not jinxing it..........  :excited :excited :excited :excited :excited :excited :excited :) :mellow
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
Re: Pulaski
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 10:10:20 AM »

I'm trying not to Jinx it... because shit tends to happen lately... But there is a really good possibility that I'm leaving to do some Steelhead fishing this wednesday night through sunday morning.....

Again.. not jinxing it..........  :excited :excited :excited :excited :excited :excited :excited :) :mellow

Must feel great to kick off the 2017 fishing season.   :beer

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Chasing Puffers since 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 10:11:01 AM »

Bring your scuba gear.
I have seen death... he drives a white Grand Marquis.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 10:24:30 AM »

Must feel great to kick off the 2017 fishing season.   :beer

Saltbias... Apparently all of my local bass fishing doesn't count? I see what Ryan is talking about. Apparently if you don't fish salt, you don't count. I see it from his perspective now.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 10:26:06 AM »

Bring your scuba gear.

I know... I saw a lot of posts on social media. Fish are being caught... but it's all over the place, and apparently the water is still high and rushing. :(
John Gierach, Good Flies

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 10:56:56 AM »

Saltbias... Apparently all of my local bass fishing doesn't count? I see what Ryan is talking about. Apparently if you don't fish salt, you don't count. I see it from his perspective now.

:lol  " #Saltbias "   I really think I fish fresh more days out of the year than salt, I'll have to check on that.    Have fun in Pulaski

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 10:59:41 AM »

If it's totally blown, you should head farther west and fish the smaller Erie tribs. 

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 12:34:00 PM »

If it's totally blown, you should head farther west and fish the smaller Erie tribs. 

running at 1650 CFS right now.
John Gierach, Good Flies

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 02:02:23 PM »

I fished the lower fly section for a few hours yesterday afternoon.  The water was bank to bank from the rock wall across to vegetation on the other side, gravel bar fully submerged but wade-able.  I saw two hookups upstream under the hemlocks from about 2 - 5pm  I think there were 4 or 5 fishermen up there, one on the wall, and 4-5 on the gravel bar side.  Not a bump for me.  Flows should be dropping soon though.

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 10:39:06 AM »

Flows are dropping...seems we are going from too high to too low rather quickly and I wonder if it will go back up over the weekend.  I guess at 350 we'll really find out how many steelhead are in the river.

Releases from the dam:
Until 8:00 PM today, 750 CFS
From 8:00 PM today until NOON tomorrow, Thu, 500 CFS
From NOON tomorrow until 11:58 PM tomorrow, 335 CFS

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Addicted to tying classics
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 11:55:36 AM »

I'm going to kick off my 2017 fishing season in 2019 #whowantstobuymykids

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 09:23:03 AM »

Flows are dropping...seems we are going from too high to too low rather quickly and I wonder if it will go back up over the weekend.  I guess at 350 we'll really find out how many steelhead are in the river.

Releases from the dam:
Until 8:00 PM today, 750 CFS
From 8:00 PM today until NOON tomorrow, Thu, 500 CFS
From NOON tomorrow until 11:58 PM tomorrow, 335 CFS

yes... BRUTAL...

John Gierach, Good Flies

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 02:39:37 PM »

Ok Sorry for the delay in posting but it's been a crazy week, between my company being sold, thanksgiving, and house shit... unreal week.

A few months ago, Jon got married, and during the reception all the guys were talking about fishing and past fishing trips, and inside jokes etc. etc. My wife turns to me and said, you should go this year. Go for a couple of days, not the full week, it's a cheap trip. It was like a record stopped in the room, and we began making plans. The week before thanksgiving as per tradition, but this time a half week from wednesday through sunday morning.

JeffSkilz decided to buy a house, and after all the BS he'd given me over the years of not being able to fish... he was not able to go fishing. So it was going to be me, Jon and my buddy Chris, and plans were made for Salmon River Outfitters, room 1 The Suite.... So Wednesday arrives and I was going to drive out and pick up the guys in Paxton, about 1 hour before leaving, as I'm running around packing, and trying to clean up etc. I hear some dripping coming from the bathroom. Lo and behold, I see water dripping profusely from the ceiling, right near the bathroom vent. I quickly shut off the water, and a heater pipe exploded somewhere in the ceiling. While the trip is looking in danger and my wife freaking out, she says to me, just leave. What's the difference between you being here and not, because we need the plumber to take care of it anyway... So I leave my family, without heat and water, and head out for fishing...
As we are riding out, we learn that the flows were being dropped from 1820 CFS to 335 cfs. Things are looking crazy for this trip.

We arrive wednesday night at about 9:30 and finish a 24 pack of yuenglings, some fireball, and some double black and go to bed at 3:30am while looking out the window and seeing fisherman arrive to claim spots on the lower fly zone... We sleep for 3 hours and get a late start at 8:00 with plans to head to the Upper Fly zone. We arrive at the upper fly zone and I tie on the ol deep pink crystal meth, and I get a hard hit and a burned out fish within 25 minutes of our fishing trip.. Chris looks at me and says, let's home this isn't the last fish of the trip...  :doh We fish for the rest of the day with a couple of hook ups, and we jumped spots everywhere. To the point where we were resorting to looking for groups of cars, and spying on guide boats. The word on the river was though, the fishing was way off with the CFS at 335 but with rain that night it was looking like maybe we will get some increased flows. We ended the 30 minutes of the day dragging flies on the lower fly zone.

we decided to do some exploring and look at the other rivers in the area we never got a chance to explore before

Day2
Wake up at 7 am this time and start driving out to find Sandy Creek. The problem with Sandy Creek though is there is little Sandy, big sandy, normal sandy, north sandy, south sandy, and none of them are in the town of Sandy Creek. So using google earth some past memories we decided we are going to start driving around looking for it. Eventually we find it, and we like the look of it but there are ZERO cars in the parking lot. which isn't a terrible thing but it was ominous for us. We start fishing this new body of water, and I get a couple of really shocking hits on a white streamer. but then I got bit CLEANLY off? no curly cue, no knot. Just a fresh cut line. As I'm walking to catch up with the guys I notice a bunch of small fish darting here and there, but nothing super exciting, then I see Jon staring intently in the water. He lowers down slowly, flicks out 3 inches of fly line and leader and next thing you know he is BENT. BOOM... BIG ASS brown trout. He sighted and landed this beautiful brown and I ran up dropped all the gear and got the photo. We start really exploring the water and eventually run into people about .5 miles up the river. They are being guided and using center pin gear but we watch them hook a beautiful chromer. and hook into a couple of other fish but they all come unbuttoned. We are thinking this is the new hot spot. After they leave we take over the hole but no hook ups or anything else, but we do see a GIANT Salmon not in Zombie form running up the current. The tail was enormous, and the fish had to be 25+ pounds.

Ended the night drinking heavily, tying up some more scuds and crystal meth. with a new plan for tomorrow. The flows are looking unchanged at 335 CFS. We started drinking again, and got to talking with a loud mouth ultra cocky young guide, but he was drunk enough to give us some information, and a couple of new spots. No honey holes but places we never would have been able to locate without a little bit of guidance.

Day 3 (last full day)
We head back to Sandy but the flows were so low that there was no morning hook ups at all. We ran into another group of guys who was fishing and they too report the same dismal report, of no fishing hook ups. Lesson 1, the flows need to be perfect for this body of water. The guide did hint this warning, so we decided, let's explore. Avoid the really crowded holes and see what we can find. Literally just chasing for that one hook up. We found another Sandy Creek, and a given spot by a pretty strict farmer. This place was signed to the max, with arrows and freshly mowed pathway. I swear if you stepped off the path you were waiting for a mine to go off like the North Korean DMZ. The flows were pretty low here, but holy crap the water was gorgeous. This was the type of stuff we were looking for. with about 100 or 200 CFS more, this had to be a place that ts lit up with fish. Plenty of cover, big boulders, over hanging trees and some deep pockets. But for us right now, even in the clear water, we didn't see shit.

We walked back to the parking lot and decided to head up river. We saw a couple of old guys fishing, and then only to be followed by a couple of young guys who were walking fast towards a spot. Looking like they were trying to leap frog us to a hole. We keep fishing with nothing happening. The two young guys set up just north of the bend and we walk past them. We keep fishing break for a shore lunch, where Jon and I are promptly shit on by seagull. Jon looks down at his sandwich and can't determine if it was the mayo or shit on sandwich, but he decided fuck it and eats it anyway. :eat

We keep walking and find more gorgeous places to fish. I mean absolutely incredibly beautiful water, but nothing. Streamers, eggs, sucker spawn, nymphs, scuds. nothing.

Then we come across an entire stretch of river that is nothing but slate rock. It was crazy. I mean absolutely 100% slate rock. You could see the bottom here because it was all like 12 inches to 3-4 feet deep, but just slate rocks with little cover or repreve from the flows. We were unsure how to fish this. We couldn't see the fish, and to be honest, with the lack of cover our confidence in fishing this type of water was shot. Next thing we know we are about 1.2 miles from where we started and at the next put in on the river in town. We get out and do the long walk back. The young guys are on their way out and stop and tell us they picked up two in that hole they were fishing, but that was the only bites they got fishing there all day. Oh well... next time.

We get back to the car to meet another guy not even rigging up going to look at the water. He asks us if they are still hitting the peach... we are no idea what he is talking about but put that one in the memory. Might be important.

We get back to the river, and decided that tomorrow morning we should fish an old favorite, trooper hole.

We arrive at trooper hole to find a couple of guys there fishing. we scoot down to the bottom of the pool but they start reeling in and packing it up for the day. Jon walks over to the top of the pool, which is our favorite spot and promptly walks a beautiful chrome fish. within a couple of minutes, Jon hooks up with a few more fish but they all spit the hook. Chris, who hadn't landed anything yet, gets the next shot at the hole and also hooks into 2-3 fish but loses them all pretty quickly. Eventually I make my way to the hole and I don't hook up with shit. No one else is hooking into anything So we call it a night. We get back to the hotel shower, and then head to Tailwater resort. A wildly out of place resort on the river (old schoolhouse hole) and go drink their over priced beers, INCREDIBLE southern fried chicken. I mean HOLY SHIT what a meal, and end the night drinking heavy, playing some pool and getting into a heated Darts Competition. It also helped that a family stopped by with a hot daughter who was recently engaged to Jesus apparently, and they were there celebrating. As Jon put it, "he would bop that button nose beauty in the behind." That's the drunk text he was trying to send me.

Day 4 Last morning
We pull down to trooper to see 5 cars there. Apparently everyone from the previous evening had the same idea as we did. So we head over to compactor, but the lake effect snow is picking up. The flows are unchanged and nothing is biting whatsoever. WE all get tired really quick and say fuck it. Let's get home. I have major plumbing to deal with, and oh yeah the night before I find out from an email that my company was just sold, so I have no idea if I'm walking to a job monday morning.  :crazy

Crazy fishing trip, Terrible fishing, great memories, a lot of exploring new water, and honestly, I enjoyed the hell out of every minute with the good company.
John Gierach, Good Flies

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 03:33:17 PM »

Great report, Ryan! It must have felt good to get out and fish with buds. So we need to hear the rest of the story. Plumbing and job.
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 03:39:49 PM »

Great report shakey... even if the fishing wasn't so hot.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up