Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thanksgiving weekend outing, plus another interesting story  (Read 43 times)

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
Thanksgiving weekend outing, plus another interesting story
« on: November 27, 2017, 09:31:52 AM »

Went to one of my favorite cape ponds and managed 7 rainbows and 1 brown.  Caught down deep early, and then a few close to the surface when the midges started to come out.

Nice calm conditions early morning.  One strange thing I saw, that I had never seen before, was multiple large schools of fish on the surface swirling around.  Tried to get them to bite, but nothing.  Their fins would come out of the surface and looked floppy.  Once I got near, I realized they were all suckers around 14", seemingly showing mating behavior?   Did not realize this pond had such a large sucker population, but these fish were packed tight, and if I had one of Shakeys snagging hook and spinrod setups, I could have snagged one - just like when Shakey snags pogies like he does all the time.   

Was happy to catch this brown that was actively going after the midges that appeared once the sun woke them up

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
Re: Thanksgiving weekend outing, plus another interesting story
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 10:05:47 AM »

Even with my ultra effective snagging set up you wouldn't have gotten one.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 11:07:59 AM »

Even with my ultra effective snagging set up you wouldn't have gotten one.

I prefer flyfishing, your fishing techniques are truly appalling.

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 11:29:02 AM »

Nice! I haven't caught any browns this fall and I miss that. Going to have to start trying different ponds as fishing has been slow at my regular pond in Plymouth. Even when the midges are hatching it seems as though there are not as many fish in the pond and others have speculated the state did not stock as many this fall as they have in the past.
Pages: [1]   Go Up