Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: December Trout  (Read 75 times)

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
December Trout
« on: December 03, 2017, 04:05:05 PM »

Well things are starting to improve as far as the trout eating midges. Surely two forces at work this fall and above average temperatures was the biggest. Second the possible reduction in stocking numbers.

This was a perfect weekend to hit the cape kettle ponds in search of fall trout. Temperatures were a balmy high forty five to fifty both days and winds were very light from the North Northeast. Saturday had lighter winds where I fished and as a result the midges and the fish were not as concentrated as today (Sunday). Wind direction being mostly the same had the fish in the same general area where I was both days.

On Saturday I arrived later after chasing leaves around the yard for the better part of the day. But when I first arrived the fish were active off a point but really seemed to want a specific stage of midge and I couldn't seem to figure it out. For all the rise activity and fish jumping from the water chasing most likely emegers I went home disappointed. Blanked. It seemed to get more challenging later as the wind completely died and the overcast skies had things chilled. I think the light winds allowed whatever midges were hatching to spread out and make the fishing more technical.

Today I arrived earlier and it was partly sunny. That seemed to help the bite. Water is pretty cool now probably around 'turn over' temperature (39 deg.). I started in my favorite cove and a gentleman with two young sons happen to mention as I passed by that another fly fisherman had just come from the back side of the point at the head of the cove and had gotten six fish. I said that is good as that was where I was headed!

Upon arriving at the point fish were sipping midges very actively on both sides.  A couple right tight to the shore I waded to get there. Actually forced me to stop and take a couple close range casts to see if I could fool them. But watching multiple fish working the point just ahead of me turned out to be too much and I waded on through their water.

Fish were sipping and rolling from the head of the point on down the backside eagerly eating the midges now hatching steadily in the mid-day sun. The light but steady North wind had them piled up from the point on down. It didn't take long before I got my first fish to eat my favorite midge pattern. Unfortunately that one came unbuttoned. Today I was fishing an 8ft8in black glass custom on a McFarland blank I had built last year. Haven't fished it since last fall so I was a little off on the hook set and timing. Feels a lot like bamboo. Of course with all the activity it didn't take long to get the interest of another fish but in my effort to make sure I didn't lose this one I over compensated and broke it off setting too hard  :eyeroll

That fish immediately rocketed to the heavens with my midge stuck in the corner of its mouth. Doh.

For the next hour or so this is how the fishing went. Very active bursts with short lulls during the slightly stronger wind periods. Eventually I spotted a lot of rise activity to my left so I moved SW along the back of the point and set up. The fish below came from this area and it was my best of the day.

Eventually the activity shut down though conditions seemed to be the same. Not sure what the trigger was but I had to head out anyway so that made it easier...

Might have been good at sunset.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 04:16:05 PM by jeffsod »

albcorb

• Tuna
Re: December Trout
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 06:23:24 PM »

Nice rod,reel and beastly fish!
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Fine Lines: “There will be days when the fishing is better than one’s most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.” Roderick Haig-Brown

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 07:42:53 AM »

That is a fat rainbow. Really enjoying these reports Jeff thank you.

"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 03:52:53 PM »

Those are some porkers, Jeff! They must put up a decent fight. You're fishing 7x with all of these kettle pond fish?
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 04:20:29 PM »

Jeff - With the light winds and cold temps I expected the midge fishing to be great this weekend as well

I went out yesterday to one of my goto ponds and the midge feed was incredible, but my hooksetting was off - I landed 2 fish, but with probably 7 missed strikes.  fished a double nymph rig - which landed the fish, then changes to Griffiths gnat size 20, and proceeded to miss 7 strikes.  Probably should have changed flies too, think the small hook gap was not helping me

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 06:05:36 PM »

Chris good to hear it was happening elsewhere too! I miss strikes when fishing those Griffith's gnats too. I think when they come up for it like fishing poppers the wake pushes the fly aside.

Dean I fish either a 6X or 7X. The latter on calm days when they seem more picky.
Pages: [1]   Go Up