Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cool flea market find  (Read 68 times)

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
cool flea market find
« on: December 08, 2017, 09:42:12 AM »

So one of my old staff members at work came in today and gave me this.  His wife, who frequents flea markets, picked it up not really knowing what she was going to do with it.  He saw it on his counter at home and grabbed it while saying to her he knows someone who would appreciate it.

This happened to be the first tying kit that my grandfather, cousin and I bought and used in the early 80's, after we had just taken the very early initial LL Bean flyfishing school with Dave Whitlock.  All of the tools were missing, but the bucktails, mallard feathers, chenille, hare's dubbing and various other materials were still inside.  The box cover alone is what is cool to me about receiving this gift.

Pretty cool nostalgia

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
Re: cool flea market find
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 09:56:01 AM »

Cool story Chris

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Chasing Puffers since 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 08:34:25 PM »

Hey Chris, I just dug this out of the basement. I was given this many, many years ago by a friend that gave me my introduction to fly fishing.

I learned basic techniques and patterns from the Fundamentals book. (never really progressed from there though) I would read a page, try to figure out what the hell to do, lash shit to a hook, and go on to the next page. None of that new fangled Youtube to shorten the learning curve. I tied a gazillion flies with only that book as a guide. I used the flimsy vice that was provided too.

Funny thing is, I didn't get a fly rod for years after that, a salt water rod to boot.

I have seen death... he drives a white Grand Marquis.

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 05:52:27 AM »

Yeah those die cast vises were cheap. We broke the clamp and had to use pliers to secure a fly in the jaws

Your kit looks way old. Cool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up