Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Christmas in FL  (Read 88 times)

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
Christmas in FL
« on: December 31, 2017, 10:18:56 PM »

Happy New Year! :beer

It's been six years since we had a real family vacation and over twenty since we spent Christmas away from home. I must admit it was nice not to shop for a tree, set up a bunch of decorations, and then take them all down. Val planned this trip several months ago to spend Christmas with her dad who lives in Spring Hill, FL. We also agreed that the trip was our Christmas presents, so we didn't shop for, wrap and give gifts. All of this made for a different, but relaxing holiday season.

We left from Logan to Orlando on Tues., Dec 19th and arrived at our rental on Pine Island, Weeki Wachee later that evening. The place was 100 ft from a private beach and had 5 kayaks for exploring the local waters.

The first couple days there, the new moon tides turned that beach into a big flat. We scoped out a couple of holes with google and could walk out to those to fish at the lower tides.

We didn't hook any fish on the first day, but did see a lot of mullet and needle fish.

This canal filled in nice at the higher tides and we did navigate it a couple times later in the week with the kayaks.
Our second day Val, Matt and I carried the 'yaks over the exposed beach flat and paddled to some rocks about a 1/2 mile offshore. We were seeing lots of dolphin activity chasing fish and hoped to find some too.

We paddled back in to a couple of holes off the south end of the little island and found the fish on the incoming tide. All of us hooked in to some sea trout and a couple of lady fish. We were throwing intermediate & floating lines with a variety of flies some all white, some olive & white and some darker colors. The fish didn't seem too picky.

On the third day, Matt & I wanted to explore north of the island where a small river flows into the flats. We saw lots of bait, dolphins and redfish activity along the shores, but could not get anything to take a fly. While walking one of the flats, I saw a 4ft reef shark and threw a couple casts to it with no takes. We also saw a 2 1/2 ft bonnet shark that ignored our flies.

As we were heading back in, I was trolling my fly through a hole and picked up this lizard fish.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 09:37:24 AM by ginclear »
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
Re: Christmas in FL
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 10:19:29 PM »

Part 2

On Saturday, we hired a guide for a 1/2 day, Capt. Jonathan Hamilton, out of Homosassa Springs. The plan was to sight fish for redfish and maybe some pompano and sea trout. We met Jonathan at 7:30 and the ride out at sunrise looked like it would be a great day.

Unfortunately, as we reached the spot we planned to fish, the clouds, fog and some wind rolled in and it made for very difficult fishing conditions.

Matt saved the skunk with a couple of pinfish and one sea trout. It was a beautiful fishery that I will explore if I get down there again.
On our last fishing day, we found some more sea trout on the south end of the island and saw some sheephead in the canal.

We spent Christmas at Val's dad house and flew home the next day. We ate out at a couple of local spots, BeckyJacks and The Freezer, and had some tasty local cuisine. It was a fun place to stay and visit. The small island had its own personality and some stellar sunsets.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 10:29:03 PM by ginclear »
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 09:24:52 AM »

Nice report. Sure beats hanging inside avoiding the cold back at home! Would not mind being there right now. A whole four degrees at my house.

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 09:30:09 AM »

Nice report. Sure beats hanging inside avoiding the cold back at home! Would not mind being there right now. A whole four degrees at my house.
Thanks, Jeff. We had -2 at 6 AM this morning.
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 10:47:03 AM »

Nice vacation 'Dean thanks for sharing

fishon2k

• Tarpon
  • The best at things that start with F
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 09:17:19 PM »

Looks like a fun time. Kayaks at your disposal is great
Those ladies are fun to catch, they fight hard for their size and jump about quite a bit, trout are always fun too

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 09:35:19 PM »

Awesome report
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 10:23:45 PM »

Thanks, guys. I wish I could have gotten into more of the lady fish. The sea trout would hit hard but not put up much of a fight.

Has anyone fished the Homosassa area before? It's such a big fishery. Just a maze of water that one can get lost in. We even went past an island with indian burial mounds.
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo

Ryan

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Forum Hottie
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 09:52:15 AM »

Thanks, guys. I wish I could have gotten into more of the lady fish. The sea trout would hit hard but not put up much of a fight.

Has anyone fished the Homosassa area before? It's such a big fishery. Just a maze of water that one can get lost in. We even went past an island with indian burial mounds.

I have. Fished it a bit when I lived down there, but that is where I just was a few weeks ago. I really love that area. Thats real Florida IMO. My mother lived in Lecanto for a bunch of years.
Pages: [1]   Go Up