Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Long Island, Bahamas  (Read 201 times)

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
Long Island, Bahamas
« on: January 15, 2018, 05:08:42 PM »

My wife and I spent last week in the Bahamas, at Greenwhich Creek Lodge on Long Island.  I would highly recommend the island for a DIY bonefish trip, though we happened to hit a week with less than ideal weather conditions.  After looking at Google Earth and doing some on-line reading, I decided to book a room at GCL because it sits on a huge flat, has an attached restaurant, and offers free kayaks.  I thought I would be able to walk out onto the flat in the morning or evening, but it turns out it is not really accessible by foot as the lodge is separated from the flat by swampy mangroves and a boat channel.  However, there is a lot of fishable water easily accessed by kayak and more by car.  There is a great description of various access points here https://diyfishing.com/2017/09/14/fishing-the-flats-of-long-island-bahamas/
Car rentals on the island don

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
Re: Long Island, Bahamas
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 05:56:27 AM »

Nice job man.  Did you hire a guide at all, or was it strictly DIY?

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 06:36:43 AM »

A few days of wet wading sounds pretty sweet right about now after coming out of work and finding my car covered in ice like a glazed donut yesterday  :lol

Thanks for sharing. Though I am left wondering about rental cars. Kind of left us hang

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Addicted to tying classics
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 07:18:41 AM »

So very very very jealous lol

I

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 08:04:55 AM »

Looks like lots of text is getting cut off...glad I wrote in Word and still have the file

Car rentals on the island don't come cheap, about $75/day, but it was essentially a necessity and was a fun adventure given that they drive on the left side of the road.  When we arrived, the lodge manager informed us we were the only guests at the lodge, and there would be no meal service.  It would have been nice to know that in advance, but there are quite a few good restaurants available on the island.  We arrived on Saturday, but with the new fishing regulations, we had to wait until we could get licenses on Monday before string up rods.  So we spent a gray, windy Sunday exploring the northern end of the island.  The northern end is a bit ritzier, with several time share lodges.  There is a cool little monument marking the spot Columbus landed on the island in 1492.

On Monday we were excited to see some blue sky, got our licenses and headed to Wemyss Settlement.  I strolled the beach looking for tails while my wife relaxed in the sun with a book.  I spotted one bonefish here cruising the shoreline about 5 feet off the sand.  However, I made a 35' cast when it should have been about 33' sent it racing for deeper water.  About that time, clouds and rain moved in and we headed elsewhere.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 08:09:55 AM by trico22 »

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 08:22:33 AM »

I had a guide booked for a day on Tuesday and arose to a bright red sunrise...you know what that means.  At first it looked like there were just thin clouds directly overhead and we had hopes of it burning off.  However, denser clouds moved in from the east and we did not see a shaft of direct sun all day.  On a good weather day, we would have been poling across large expanses of turtle grass, but with the limited visibility, we spent our time wading white sand flats looking for tails and hoping for shadows.  Despite the conditions we did manage to find some fish and I landed 3 out of 5 or 6 hook-ups. 

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 08:32:46 AM »

Wednesday we went out in the gray again in a 'eco tour'.  Weather was clearing some on the way back in and our guide, who was also a commercial fisherman and guided blue water trips, was jonseing for some wahoo fishing and was trying to talk me into going back out for a half day at $400.  I told him my guided fishing dollars were spent, but as we sat at the conch stand at the dock, eating conch salad and drinking Kaliks, he was trying to call friends to go out but no one was available.  He told me he needed someone to man the rods while he drove the boat so offered to take me out at no charge.  Got the ok from my wife and we headed to his house to pick up geat and his 10 year old nephew who had been tying on a self-tied fly to go bone fishing when his uncle called and he was pretty stoked to be headed out for wahoo.  Unfortunately, the weather turned again as we were about 2/3 of the way to the reef edge and we called it off and headed back in through heavy rain.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 08:34:41 AM by trico22 »

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 08:46:33 AM »

So the pigs are wild? I know in some of the Hawaiian islands they have chickens running amok

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 08:50:27 AM »

Thursday we lucked into another sunny day and at the recommendation of the breakfast waitress headed south to a beach that was supposed to be good for wifey beach time and bonefish.   We found a beautiful white sand beach that met the first requirement, but the water was quickly over waist deep off the sand and was not a classic bonefish flat.  After having made several of these winter trips to the tropics, I finally learned to not leave the striper box at home.  I tied on a clouser and made a few half hearted casts into the surf with no bumps.  I headed back to the car to get my printed out guide to bonefish spots and heard some splashes in the brackish, mangrove-edged water behind the beach that warranted investigation.  I saw a long shadow I took to be a 'cuda and made a few casts with the clouser but did not get any interest.  I went back to the stiper box and tied on a large gurgler.  I cast it back into a pocket next to the mangroves, let it set, and saw a large shadow swim a circle around it.  I gave it a long strip and the surface exploded, line came tight and pulled through my fingers, and a nice sized sliver fish erupted into the air in a classic gill flared, thrashing leap.  About a second after it was back in the water my brain caught up "Holy shit, that's a fuckin TARPON!!"  Fist time I had hooked one!  I got it to the water edge, grabbed the leader, fish thrashed and was gone  :cry  I did manage to get some video footage of the event though.  Luckily, there were fish in the same water on the other side of the road that had not yet seen my fly.  I got another hit on the gurgler but missed the hook set and then switched to a white, chartreuse and yellow tarpon bunny fly.  Threw that back against the mangroves near some bubbles and managed to bring a couple tiny tarpon to hand.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=6YYx0tSVw8o

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:07:22 AM by trico22 »

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 10:07:45 AM »

That is cool! Those Tarpon must have made your day. Those canals can be very productive in the cooler months. Those were the places to hit in FL in the winter.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:44:04 PM by jeffsod »

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 11:03:03 AM »

How big was the one you lost?  100lb? 200lb?

In any case, post up your Tarpon on the bragging board, you are the leader for 2018.

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 11:18:27 AM »

Awesome adventure!  Like Matt, I've very very jealous.

Ryan

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Forum Hottie
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 04:02:30 PM »

So the pigs are wild? I know in some of the Hawaiian islands they have chickens running amok
Key West is loaded (or was before the storm) with wild chickens

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 05:33:42 PM »

Damn, Tyler! Nice report and great adventure. Looks like a blast even with the lousy weather.

I fixed the video link and posted it here, Tyler.

! No longer available
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:40:41 PM by ginclear »
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Chasing Puffers since 2012
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 08:30:46 PM »

Nice, an actual fishing report! Good job Tyler.
I have seen death... he drives a white Grand Marquis.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up