Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2018 Fly Fishing Show  (Read 85 times)

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
2018 Fly Fishing Show
« on: January 19, 2018, 09:57:58 PM »

Matt, his friend Michael, and I went to the Fly Fishing Show from 1 to close today. Similar to previous years' shows, but there were more vendors this year than last. Here were the highlights for me:
- Bear's Den bought out all of T&T's old stock (what was built prior to the last ownership change). They had a lot of new or slightly used older T&T rods a very low prices $150 to $400.

- Saw this cool rod storage from Quick Cast that allows you to carry your fully strung rod, broken down, safely in a zipper case or with a couple of cloth sleeves.

-Monic fly lines (new to me) has some clear intermediate and floating lines that are not PVC. They are getting ready to introduce some shooting heads and the owner, Bob Goodale, gave me a 33' 438 grain head to try with my switch rod. Worth the price of admission.

- Met Ryan Keene, an abstract fish artist. Very impressed with his work. Especially the striper shirt.

- Spent some time talking to the tiers. Matt and Tim Flager of Tightline Productions hit it off trading stories about fishing in the ADK. Tim went to school at Saint Lawrence. Bob Popovics showed me how to tie a silicone head fly with sheep fleece. This was a fly from his first book Pop Fleyes. I met Steve Coulton and chatted with Pat Cohen, Rich Strolis, Dave Brandt, Bob Mead, Armand Courchaine and Jeff Courier.

We sat through 1/2 of Alan Caolo's night fishing for stripers in the Northeast seminar but left to get back to the show before it closed. I couldn't find some of the feathers and flash I was looking for in the bargain bins but did buy some tying stuff. I met the guy who's running the Miramichi show that Matt will be tying at in June. He said its a good time for atlantic salmon fishing and I should come up. 

It was nice going there on a Friday. Not crowded and it was easy to talk to everyone. A nice way to spend a Friday afternoon.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 06:39:04 AM by ginclear »
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
Re: 2018 Fly Fishing Show
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 10:35:07 AM »

Nice Dean! I got to go on sunday. I needed to pick up some stuff for the fly swap. The show was actually pretty nice this year. It was good to see a stronger presence of manufacturers this year. Scott was telling me how he bought a literal rented truck load of thomas and thomas rod's this year. He drove up, and bought out everything they had. The goal was to sell them at a pretty solid discount. He was hoping to bring back that old excitement and feel of people walking in getting those amazing deals of yesteryear. You could see a ton of people walking around with T&T rods talking about how they got it for only $150 bucks etc. It was pretty cool.

Abbie Schuster from Kismet outfitters is pretty hot and apparently is a heck of a guide as well. It was cool getting to talk to her for a bit. Brad Buzzi and the rest of the tyers were awesome as usual.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Addicted to tying classics
Re: 2018 Fly Fishing Show
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 10:46:12 AM »

Was going to go Saturday, then was going to go sunday...but like every year, I didn't go lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up