Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waterproof backpacks  (Read 47 times)

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
Waterproof backpacks
« on: January 30, 2018, 02:29:16 PM »

Anyone have the Fishpond thunderhead? Thoughts?
Anyone been using the Patagonia Stormfront? Also thoughts? I know Fishtaco just got the patagonia backpack. I've been eyeballing that for a long time and interested in seeing how he likes it after some time with it. Just curious if anyone else out there is using these?

Fishpond has a lot of nice features, and I like how you can take off the lumbar belt. and I also like how the lumbar belt as a place to hold pliers etc.

But I like how the patagonia is so simple. Less stuff for fly line to get caught on etc. Just curious if anyone has used one or the either?
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

albcorb

• Tuna
Re: Waterproof backpacks
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 04:41:57 PM »

I have an older fishpond sling pack I've had it for a couple years, maybe 3 one small pocket and one large pocket and a spot for a second rod/ tube it's definitely water proof and no issues. Only thing is inside is a zipper pocket that is starting to come off but I will glue it back next time I use it. If the backpack is built the same it would be a no brained for me
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Fine Lines: “There will be days when the fishing is better than one’s most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.” Roderick Haig-Brown

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 10:00:08 PM »

I have a Stormfront and it's nice.  Would I buy it again?.. probably.  It's not the most comfortable, it doesn't offer any padding for cameras/etc, it doesn't have outside pockets, but it is waterproof and a lot easier to access than a roll top.  I like it if I think the wading could get a little hairy, or if I'm in and out of a boat.  If I'm hiking any type of distance into a spot, I'd rather wear my regular day pack, which is much, much more comfortable. 

The Fishpond bag looks nice, especially if you are willing to buy the accessories. 

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 07:53:15 AM »

Great information guys thank you.

I like the fishpond too, and especially with the accessories. The Quickshot rod holder etc.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies
Pages: [1]   Go Up