Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Shenanigans  (Read 7055 times)

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
Re: Random Shenanigans
« Reply #1170 on: January 19, 2018, 08:16:01 AM »

"Larsen, a Roseburg resident, told The Oregonian/OregonLive by phone Friday that he wasn

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
« Reply #1171 on: January 19, 2018, 10:00:49 AM »

It's probably high... just add that to the list of things that contributed: guy needs a Rascal to get around on land but thought he could see over the helm, operating while distracted, not giving way to the stand-on craft.  The folks in the small boat really got lucky, especially since they weren't wearing pfds (not that I should throw stones about that). 

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #1172 on: January 19, 2018, 10:10:23 AM »

absolutely reckless.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Chasing Puffers since 2012
« Reply #1173 on: January 19, 2018, 11:56:14 PM »

This may show some boating ignorance on my part, but wasn't the bow of that byliner running really high as well?  Shouldn't he have towered that with the trim?

I don't think the bow was riding particularly high. I think the boat is just on plane at speed. I think, in this case, if the operator was standing and paying attention he would have seen the other boat without a problem.

Years ago I saw a woman and her young kid almost get squished in a similar fashion (operator not being able to see over the bow). She was bouncing around the mouth of Oak Bluffs harbor in a tiny inflatable with an equally tiny outboard. She tried to cross the mouth of the harbor just as a guy in a LDB came out of and hammered the throttles. The acceleration raised the bow up so he couldn't see what was in front of him (specially something about the same size as the waves). Me and a friend started yelling, waving our arms and pointing. Luckily the guy looked over, saw us, throttled down and did a blind turn. He avoided tragedy by less than a boat length.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 11:59:45 PM by fishtaco »
I have seen death... he drives a white Grand Marquis.

jeffsod

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #1174 on: January 29, 2018, 05:38:55 PM »

If only this reel could talk...

Some pretty cool vintage saltwater stuff there. Overpriced but imagine the fish that were caught with it back in the day.

https://www.vintageflytackle.com/collections/reels/products/fin-nor-wedding-cake-no-3-flip-pallots-reel

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #1175 on: January 30, 2018, 11:34:51 AM »

That's awesome. Yeah, that reel has seen some use for sure.

I don't fully understand the collecting of things because someone famous once used it etc. but I would imagine that reel getting that price from someone.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #1176 on: January 31, 2018, 03:04:46 PM »

! No longer available
John Gierach, Good Flies
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79]   Go Up