Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaderboard commentary  (Read 674 times)

MikeDtrtbm76

• Par
Leaderboard commentary
« on: December 01, 2013, 07:31:04 PM »

A mouse eating chub! Wasn't my catch and don't have a picture of the fish but this seems like a good spot for the story!
So a my buddy Jon and I were swinging mouse flies at the Stillwater Basin last season around dusk into dark with the idea that we might be able to piss off some landlocks on their way upstream to spawn and get them to grab one.
Though the attempt was futile on that night I believe that anyone with the time to spend doing it just might connect with a landlock on a mouse.
What Jon did connect with was the biggest damn chub/fall fish I've ever seen.
Thing had to be a foot long if not better and to top it off the damn thing took a deer hair mouse on top.
Who ever heard of such a thing?! I mean a predaceous mouse eating chub!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 07:43:46 PM by Shakeyfly »

chadroc

• Tuna
Re: Leaderboard commentary
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 09:07:33 AM »

i love it.  that is amazing.  i also love having a place for commentary on the leaderboard.  some very nice fish posted up here. 
"bow your back and fish when you can" - thomas mcguane

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 09:29:59 AM »

I agree... I figured people would want to post in it, but trying to maintain with the pictures only in the thread theme (prevents scrolling and looking for a damn photo) Figured this was the best bet.

IN REGARDS TO BONEFISH:

Soooo we were having trouble finding bonefish on the flats (we do it by wading. So it's a slow walk, back and forth up and down the flats, hunting shadows. The past two years have been tough because the wind would pick up and fuck up the surface just enough that by the time you saw a bonefish it was flying away from your shuffling feet.

So we had one new guy to the fly rod and he was having some problems, and well FishTaco just has problems :lol

So as we are ending the night, I see some rolling waves which is weird on the flats, these weren't big, but large for the flats. It was kicking up some sand. Darting shadows were in the wave. So I call over to FishTaco and Brian, show them the bonefish, and just before I go to teach them how to catch them on a fly rod, Fish Taco bombs a cast over my shoulder, and basically steals my fish.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Addicted to tying classics
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 09:31:04 AM »

Can you catch bonefish in new england?  Like barnstable or something?

I thought it was New England only? :lol

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 09:32:41 AM »

read the rules... :lol if the fish CAN'T be caught in New England, then it's okay to post it up anywheres. I'm not going to make a Bahamas versus Florida Bonefish board....

What I didn't want was someone catching a 10 pound New Zealand brown trout trumping a 5lbs. New England Brown trout. :lol
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Addicted to tying classics
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 09:33:38 AM »

i'm still confused...its ok, i'll figure it out eventually. 

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 09:56:32 AM »

ok ok you're probably not the only one....

If the fish can be caught in New England waters regularly (Largemouth Bass, Northen Pike, Blue Gills, Rainbow trout, etc.) Then New England caught fish are the only fish eligible for that category. So basically, I would hate someones amazing 6lbs Largemouth cape bass to be trumped by someone who caught a 19 pounder in Mexico.

HOWEVER... since Tarpon, Bonefish, Permit etc. cannot be REGULARLY caught in New England waters - it's still okay to post, but I won't be differentiating Bonefish caught from Florida from ones caught in Belize.

The basic reason for this rule is some regional areas outside of new England produce larger fish of that species, so I don't want to make it unfair. A 6lbs largemouth on the fly in new england should be something that would top the leader board for a while.
John Gierach, Good Flies

chadroc

• Tuna
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 07:55:38 PM »

my gosh.  that bluegill that jeff posted is a real monster.  i'm very impressed.  jeff, can you share some details on that beautiful fish?
"bow your back and fish when you can" - thomas mcguane

fishtaco

• Crew
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Chasing Puffers since 2012
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 08:55:26 PM »

Ahh... young grasshopper, the only time I casted over you was when you were under my wing.

I agree... I figured people would want to post in it, but trying to maintain with the pictures only in the thread theme (prevents scrolling and looking for a damn photo) Figured this was the best bet.

IN REGARDS TO BONEFISH:

Soooo we were having trouble finding bonefish on the flats (we do it by wading. So it's a slow walk, back and forth up and down the flats, hunting shadows. The past two years have been tough because the wind would pick up and fuck up the surface just enough that by the time you saw a bonefish it was flying away from your shuffling feet.

So we had one new guy to the fly rod and he was having some problems, and well FishTaco just has problems :lol

So as we are ending the night, I see some rolling waves which is weird on the flats, these weren't big, but large for the flats. It was kicking up some sand. Darting shadows were in the wave. So I call over to FishTaco and Brian, show them the bonefish, and just before I go to teach them how to catch them on a fly rod, Fish Taco bombs a cast over my shoulder, and basically steals my fish.
I have seen death... he drives a white Grand Marquis.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 09:48:08 PM »

Ahh... young grasshopper, the only time I casted over you was when you were under my wing.

IN REGARDS TO BONEFISH:

:lol ok ok ok.... You did save me from a dolphin fountain fiasco
John Gierach, Good Flies

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 02:15:24 PM »

Great report and Bluefish, Mike. Love to hear about days like that on the water.

Something about trashed iPhones and good fish days, I had my best local brown ever and 30 min. later slipped on the bank, went up to my neck in a deep hole and trashed the iPhone in my shirt pocket.
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

Ryan

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Forum Hottie
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 02:54:14 PM »

Why is there a bluegill posted under the sunfish category?

MikeDtrtbm76

• Par
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 05:42:06 PM »

Something about trashed iPhones and good fish days,

Yeah those Lifeproof cases are pretty cool unless of course you happen to leave your phone on the back of your buddy's truck on the way to the Cape! Yup, who knows where that one ended up! Second iPhone in 4 months. Idiot...,, :huh!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 05:57:29 PM by MikeDtrtbm76 »

ginclear

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Always Learning
    • Gin Clear
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 06:54:04 PM »

Be sure to turn on, activate & download the "find iPhone" app. It works though your Apple Account.

My son left his iPhone on the side of the river this summer. After fishing for several hours and getting back to the car, he could not find his phone. With the app, I logged in to his account and we got the gps signal and a map to help us track down the phone.

I too have a Lifeproof case-standard equipment after dunking the last one.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 11:55:38 AM by ginclear »
Instagram @ginclear
Twitter @deanwo
http://gin-clear.blogspot.com

Ryan

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Forum Hottie
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 11:03:56 AM »

I too have a Lifeproof case-standard equipment after dunking the last one.

I have one too, love it. I asked Santa for the lifeproof life jacket... just in case.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up