Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaderboard commentary  (Read 675 times)

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
Re: Leaderboard commentary
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 11:15:34 AM »

FROM CHRISM to MIKED MikeDTrtBum

Nice Job.  It's interesting when you see bluefish behave like that in the early season, moving slowly with fins out of the water.  I've had a hard time getting them to eat a flyu
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 01:12:22 PM »

:lol

Sorry, my mistake.  I just clicked on "Show Unread Posts" and landed on his bluefish, forgetting about the whole leaderboard thing.

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Addicted to tying classics
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 01:15:15 PM »

so when I did used to fish the salt...when the bluefish were doing that, they would pound the ever living crap out of anything burned past them :lol  Like completely, wreckless, abandon...I used to see them in the cotuit area all the time like that.  I self admittedly suck at saltwater fishing...so maybe it was a couple freak occurrences. 

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 01:31:12 PM »

so when I did used to fish the salt...when the bluefish were doing that, they would pound the ever living crap out of anything burned past them :lol  Like completely, wreckless, abandon...I used to see them in the cotuit area all the time like that.  I self admittedly suck at saltwater fishing...so maybe it was a couple freak occurrences. 

That is weird, because I am also talking about the Cotuit/Poppy area.  The fish were swimming like they were stoned, however without having the munchies

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Addicted to tying classics
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 01:41:21 PM »

back when I could fish for like 20 hours a day :lol  We would go to the canal fish the whatever tide, drive over to Cotuit/Oregon beach area...look for tails, chuck the polaris popper or whatever the hell they were called....and SPLAT we were getting like 30 fish before the next tide thingamabobber would turn on the canal and we'd head back there.

The key was being at least 6ft tall or more cause you had to wade out to get in casting range and there was a hole you had to walkthrough :lol.

This was a solid 10 years ago.

MikeDtrtbm76

• Par
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 12:02:44 PM »

Thanks Chris M! It was pretty cool to finally figure it out that day. I definitely got to that point of extreme anxiety where there are a ton of huge fish around and you can't get a hit to save your life. You know you turn into a bumbling idiot out there.... your casts collapsing ... your line gets tangled around itself, the rod, and your head!  When I finally figured it out I was out from shore about twenty yards and would wait until I saw them off to my left about fifty feet off and closing. Drop the cast about twenty feet in front of them and wait until they were almost on top of my fly to move it. It was almost automatic after that.
Matt I would say in 95 percent of my experience with blues it never mattered what the hell you did. Put the fly over there backs, they still took. Fly pattern... didn't matter. Hell you'd have a fish on and two or three others would be following it. Fish comes unbuttoned no big deal one of his buddies would pick it up. I couldn't believe how absolutely vicious they were. It's like search and destroy was programmed into their brains.
Not really sure why the fish on the flat that day were so picky. Maybe their size and hence age had something to do with it... the fact that they were in less than two feet of water??? Who knows! It sure was fun as hell to get them though.  30inch blues in the shallows, going airborne like baby tarpon, before tearing off into your backing. Hell I'll take that any day!  Hope to find them there again next spring!

chadroc

• Tuna
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 05:49:55 PM »

outstanding write up mike.  makes me want to fish the salt.
"bow your back and fish when you can" - thomas mcguane

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 01:53:27 PM »

Joebe - Welcome to the board! That's a big f-ing brookie!
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

joebe

• Largemouth
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2013, 11:09:25 AM »

Thank You!I have been visiting the site a lot. Just never had anything to add. It's nice to see a site that talks about the same places I fish. Believe it or not I caught that fish on one of those big blue damsel dry fly's. Dan Legare at the Maine fly shop talked me into buying it. I hadn't got a fish all day. It was in one of those ponds just outside of Greenville ME. Gotta think that is one of those once in a lifetime fish.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2013, 11:24:09 AM »

That's awesome. I've seen your name floating in the signed on section! we have a lot of people who come on and read etc. and never post up. It's cool .

I'm glad you shared that picture of the brookie! I love brookies, probably one of my favorite fish, so it's really nice to see decent examples.

Which Damselfly? Do you have a pic of the fly you could share?
John Gierach, Good Flies

joebe

• Largemouth
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2013, 11:43:07 AM »

I couldn't find a good picture. It is most similar to a Stalcup's Blue Damselfly, but the wings were white antron with grizzly hackle for leggs.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2013, 12:21:36 PM »

I know the Stalcup's fly!! That's a sweet pattern. I like the idea of hackle for the legs.
John Gierach, Good Flies

chadroc

• Tuna
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2013, 12:30:24 PM »

outstanding dark colored brookie.  wow.  sick sick fish.  and on a damsel?  thats sick.

MikeDtrtbm76

• Par
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2013, 05:45:51 PM »

Here's another shot of that beast I posted up under the Steelhead leader board.
I've had some battles with the Steel up on the Salmon River, some I've won and lost. I fought a monster a couple years back for a half hour before finally losing the fight. This beast put up the most brutal fight I have ever par taken in! He took me way into the backing, I got him all the way back to the head of my switch line before taking off into the backing again. It was one of those fights where yeah you wanna land the fish but at the same time you are prepared not too and you are happy as hell to have had the privilege to have fought such a worthy opponent and satisfied that you have fought it as well as you have. Too finally land such a fish when so much could have gone wrong is a bonus and you can't believe it.

chadroc

• Tuna
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2014, 02:31:09 AM »

that is a remarkable and a remarkable description.  that is really something to be proud of, landing it.  well done. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up