Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaderboard commentary  (Read 675 times)

Ryan

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Forum Hottie
Re: Leaderboard commentary
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2014, 11:10:47 AM »

Here's another shot of that beast I posted up under the Steelhead leader board.
Solid beard.
Thank You!I have been visiting the site a lot. Just never had anything to add. It's nice to see a site that talks about the same places I fish. Believe it or not I caught that fish on one of those big blue damsel dry fly's. Dan Legare at the Maine fly shop talked me into buying it. I hadn't got a fish all day. It was in one of those ponds just outside of Greenville ME. Gotta think that is one of those once in a lifetime fish.

You have a place up there or just go up to visit? My dad just moved up there permanently this fall. We've had a place up there for about 10 years.

joebe

• Largemouth
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2014, 03:05:55 PM »

There are 4 of us that have been going up every June for about 15 years. We stay at Maynard's in Rockwood. Mainly fish the East Outlet and Moose. Last year we did our first float trip on the West Branch, that will spoil you. We typically hit the ponds at least once, sometimes the water flows are high so we are forced to fish the ponds. We like the ponds up around the Greenville Airport. All the ones you have to walk into.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2014, 07:44:15 PM »

That sounds awesome. I would love to go up there and fish
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

joebe

• Largemouth
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2014, 09:39:50 AM »

It's not that expensive either. Great do it yourself spot. river access is good. There are a good amount of camps in the area with different meal plans. You can do your own cooking, which gives you a lot more flexibility to fish as you want. We love Maynard's, great food, nice people, clean cabins and pretty centrally located. Check out the Maine Fly Shop website, a lot of good information. There are also camp sites along the East Outlet that are first come first serve. Then you are really in the fishing. Only thing that can screw things up are the water flows. If the flows and weather cooperate it can be an awesome fishery.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2014, 10:39:49 AM »

awesome i just checked out their site and found they have an awesome listing of the ponds in the area. That's some great information right there. Thanks for sharing. I've stayed at Maynards before, a while ago! nice place.
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

Ryan

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Forum Hottie
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2014, 11:38:34 AM »

There are 4 of us that have been going up every June for about 15 years. We stay at Maynard's in Rockwood. Mainly fish the East Outlet and Moose. Last year we did our first float trip on the West Branch, that will spoil you. We typically hit the ponds at least once, sometimes the water flows are high so we are forced to fish the ponds. We like the ponds up around the Greenville Airport. All the ones you have to walk into.
My place is about 1/4 mile from Maynards. He used to plow our driveway before my father moved up.
I've fished over by the airport once. A serious hike-in place. Pain to get to. Fishing was off though. I usually head the other way when I am there to fish, usually fish more towards Jackman then Greenville.
there is just sooo much awesome water there. There are tons of places I know of that I've never even fished before (East Outlet for one LOL). I've actually only fished the lake a couple times. We're right on the Moose, and I've only fished that maybe 5 times.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2014, 11:46:55 AM »

OUTTINGGGGGGG :lol
John Gierach, Good Flies

joebe

• Largemouth
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2014, 01:16:09 PM »

If you have a place on the Moose there are tons of great spots. Not sure how people are on this site about spot burning but if you shoot me a PM i'll give you of my favorites

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2014, 02:11:47 PM »

We kinda operate on loose spot burning rules.

1) If it's well know and a simple google brings up tons of info on the place, then we don't hide the name. (example would be any place that has named pools, and a parking lot)

2) If it's a place someone showed you, I wouldn't name it. Chances are the person would never show you a spot again and it might be something special to that one person (again unless it's a decently known spot)

3) If it's a tiny little honey hole that you honestly never see anyone fish, I wouldn't recommend putting it on the world wide web to see. That's a great way to find a person fishing there next time, and possibly with a :bucket :lol

With that said... Everyone on this forum has to be registered member to view ANY sort of thread. The general public can't just browse our pages... And we only have like 90 members with 12 - 15 being active weekly sign-on'ers
John Gierach, Good Flies

Ryan

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Forum Hottie
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2014, 07:29:30 PM »

when it comes to mid-Maine, I say burn away. Besides Matt, and I... and apparently you, nobody that uses the site travels any further then the Swift. Bunch a clowns.

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2014, 09:24:42 PM »

when it comes to mid-Maine, I say burn away. Besides Matt, and I... and apparently you, nobody that uses the site travels any further then the Swift. Bunch a clowns.

I only somewhat disagree, on 2 counts.  I don't know Joebe (maybe one day) but I have met Matt and he is no clown.

Ryan

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Forum Hottie
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2014, 08:34:24 PM »

I only somewhat disagree, on 2 counts.  I don't know Joebe (maybe one day) but I have met Matt and he is no clown.
Oh sorry for the confusion, I was referring to K2, not MattB. You're right, MattB is no clown, but that other guy wears the biggest shoes you've ever seen and a red nose.

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2014, 10:36:19 PM »

:lol

joebe

• Largemouth
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2014, 11:44:25 AM »

Sorry it took so long to reply. Work is always getting in the way. these are just my humble opinions. there are certainly going to be other people that will have different ones. I really fish mainly on the Moose and the East outlet. In both cases it is all about flow levels. If it is low enough there are plenty of spots on both rivers. I like the Moose below 2000. I have had the most success at Scott's Pool and the Gauge Pool. I have seen plenty of fish up around the dam but I have never had much success catching one. Scott's Pool is the first one as you go up into the river. I like fishing it from the route 15 side. We typically park at the dam and walk down. The trail on the Rt 15 side can be muddy and treacherous. Especially with felt soles in the mud holes.  If you cross over the dam and fish the other side there is less people but the access is limited.

East Outlet has much more fishing. Much better if it's under 2500. A few spots you can fish if it's above but really limited. We typically drive down the dirt rode that follows the right side of the river going down stream and park at the beach pool. It is the 3rd road on the left as you drive down. You can fish from there all the way down to Indian Pond if you have the legs for it.

We typically go right before father's day weekend. If the weather is right the Caddis fishing can be awesome. It is not uncommon to catch salmon over 20" and Brookies over 15". I've fished out west once and it is the closest thing I have fished in New England. we also fished the West Branch of the Pennobscott last year for the first time. We did it in drift boats, real nice. Looked like a tough river to wade.

As far as the ponds are concerned we have done well at Secret and the fish I posted came out of Salmon. not sure if I gave you enough info but if you have any questions PM me I'd be glad to help if I can.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2014, 09:05:42 AM »

That's some great informatino Joebe. Thanks for sharing.
John Gierach, Good Flies
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up