Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: native trout  (Read 1153 times)

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
native trout
« on: October 25, 2012, 10:37:45 PM »

A few years ago, I decided to target native trout/char subspecies of North America.  There is some disagreement regarding classification (of individual strains of fish, as well as the general notion of breaking species into subspecies).  I've had the pleasure of speaking with several fisheries biologists regarding the subject, and read way too much on the web and in several trout books.  It appears the field primarily agrees with Robert Behnke's classifications; therefore, I decided to pursue his list.

All of these fish were caught on the fly and are known to be in their native drainages.  I've targeted populations that are as close to genetic purity as I can find.

Genus Oncorhynchus

Rainbow/Redband Trout, Species mykiss

Columbia Basin Redband (Oncorhynchus mykiss gairdneri) - caught in British Columbia

McCloud River Redband (Oncorhynchus mykiss stonei) - caught in California

Great Basin Redband (Oncorhynchus mykiss newberrii) - caught in California

Coastal Rainbow (Oncorhynchus mykiss irideus) - caught in California and Alaska

Eagle Lake Rainbow (Oncorhynchus mykiss aquilarum) - caught in California

Kern River Rainbow (Oncorhynchus mykiss gilberti) - caught in California

Little Kern Golden (Oncorhynchus mykiss whitei) - caught in California

California Golden (Oncorhynchus mykiss aguabonita) - caught in California

Cutthroat, Species clarki

Westslope Cutthroat (Oncorhynchus clarki lewisi) - caught in Montana and British Columbia

Coastal Cutthroat (Oncorhynchus clarki clarki) - caught in British Columbia

Yellowstone Cutthroat (Oncorhynchus clarki bouvieri) - caught in Wyoming and Montana

Snake River Finespotted Cutthroat (Oncorhynchus clarki behnkei) - caught in Wyoming

Bonneville Cutthroat (Oncorhynchus clarki utah) - caught in Wyoming

Colorado River Cutthroat (Oncorhynchus clarki pleuriticus) - caught in Wyoming and Colorado

Greenback Cutthroat (Oncorhynchus clarki stomias) - caught in Colorado (there is current debate over the identity of the fish that Colorado has reestablished throughout a significant part of its supposed native range)

Rio Grande Cutthroat (Oncorhynchus clarki virginalis) - caught in Colorado

Lahontan Cutthroat (Oncorhynchus clarki henshawi) - caught in California and Nevada

Gila, Species gilae

Gila (Oncorhynchus gilae gilae) - caught in New Mexico

Apache (Oncorhynchus gilae apache) - caught in Arizona

Pacific Salmon

Sockeye Salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) - caught in Alaska

Pink Salmon (Oncorhynchus gorbuscha) - caught in Alaska

Genus Salvelinus (Char)

Brook Trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) - caught in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, Maine, and Manitoba

\

Lake Trout (Salvelinus namaycush) - caught in New Hampshire, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan

Arctic Char (Salvelinus alpinus ) - caught in Iceland (North America)

Blueback Char (Salvelinus alpinus oquassa) - caught in Maine

Southern Dolly Varden (Salvelinus malma lordi) - caught in Alaska

Bull Trout (Salvelinus confluentus) - caught in British Columbia (both anadromous and lacustrine/fluvial)

Genus Salmo

Atlantic Salmon (Salmo salar) - caught in New Brunswick and the North American side of Iceland (anadromous), Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut (lacustrine/fluvial)

Brown Trout (Salmo trutta) - caught in Iceland (North America - fluvial; Europe - fluvial, anadromous)

So... what is everyone's life list of native trout/char?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 07:45:27 PM by k2 »

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
Re: native trout
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 11:09:49 PM »

This might be one of my favorite posts that I have every seen. HOLY SHIT!!

basically every fish you have listed is on my list.  But I don't necessarily get caught up with the native strains. A cuttthroat is still just a cutthroat for me, until I saw this post. WOW incredible variation

but what I will say, is a bucket list of trout for me

Cutthroat
Golden
Blueback
and based on something I read a Greenback in colorado? They apparently found a strand recently that was thought to be extinct? I see you caught one, so I'm not entirely sure about that.
I still would love to chase true sea run steel in BC or something like that. A native run chromer...

But seriously dude, this is incredible.  But it does look like you need a Blueback :) I might have to come up with a long weekend next year ;)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 11:12:06 PM by Shakeyfly »
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 11:30:37 PM »

Greenbacks are pretty easy to find in Rocky Mountain National Park, but most creeks and lakes require a hike or horseback day trip.  There are a few lakes with good populations of 20" greenbacks and no fishing pressure that I want to fish sooner than later. 

I still plan on that blueback trip in mid June so pencil it in.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 11:34:22 PM by k2 »

chadroc

• Tuna
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 08:25:22 AM »

this is just sick.  awesome list and amazing pictures.  super cool. 

this will send me to the bookshelf to get out proseks book on trout in north america.....off the top of my head there are 2 trout that are absolutely on my bucket list and will most likely remain there until i'm dead and gone: the gila and apache trout. 

amazing post K2.
"bow your back and fish when you can" - thomas mcguane

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 11:54:51 AM »

does taimen count? lol
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 03:14:15 PM »

I wish Icould post a wish like that!!  We need a bowing emoticon for this board!  I know I have caught cutthroat in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho, but didn't have the knowledge to differentiate stains back then.  Right now I really wish I had.  Also wish I had taken a lot more fish pics.  I've probably caught 50 grayling and don't have a picture of one of them.

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 08:56:35 AM »

off the top of my head there are 2 trout that are absolutely on my bucket list and will most likely remain there until i'm dead and gone: the gila and apache trout. 

Oh man, don't talk like that.  You can knock both off in a single week.  Phoenix is only a several hour flight away.  Rent a small car, hit the grocery store, and camp.  With just one other person, that trip is ~$1k/person total for a week-long vacation and checking a couple boxes on the bucket list.  That's a bargain  ;D (at least that's what I always tell myself)

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 09:38:55 AM »

I know I have caught cutthroat in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho, but didn't have the knowledge to differentiate stains back then.

Let me know the river/regions and I can tell you what subspecies you caught.  In northern Montana you were catching Westslopes, southwestern Montana has Yellowstone cutts.  Idaho has Westslopes up north, Yellowstone cutts near the park, Snake River finespotted in the Snake River Drainage, and Bonneville cutts south of that.  Wyoming has four subspecies: Yellowstones up by the park, Snake River finespotted on the central western state boundary, Bonneville in the extreme southwestern portion of the state, and Colorado River cutts taking up the remaining southwest quadrant.  Colorado has three native species: Rio Grandes down south, Greenbacks east of the divide and up by RMNP, and Colorado River cutts are scattered across the western portion of the state.

trico22

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • addicted to chasing tails
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 05:09:11 PM »

I know I have caught cutthroat in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho, but didn't have the knowledge to differentiate stains back then.

Let me know the river/regions and I can tell you what subspecies you caught.  In northern Montana you were catching Westslopes, southwestern Montana has Yellowstone cutts.  Idaho has Westslopes up north, Yellowstone cutts near the park, Snake River finespotted in the Snake River Drainage, and Bonneville cutts south of that.  Wyoming has four subspecies: Yellowstones up by the park, Snake River finespotted on the central western state boundary, Bonneville in the extreme southwestern portion of the state, and Colorado River cutts taking up the remaining southwest quadrant.  Colorado has three native species: Rio Grandes down south, Greenbacks east of the divide and up by RMNP, and Colorado River cutts are scattered across the western portion of the state.

In that case I am fairly certain I have caught westslope (South Fork and N. Fork Flathead River, Little Thompson River), Yellowstone (Henery' Fork, Firehole River), Colorado River and/or Greenbacks (Animas River, Piedra River).  Now just need to get back and get the pictures!  My buckets are an arctic char, bull trout, and apache.

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 09:40:23 PM »

Yep... should be westslope, Yellowstone, and Colorado River.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 09:54:11 AM »

I want it...
John Gierach, Good Flies

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 11:28:25 AM »

next June

Ryan

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Forum Hottie
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 09:42:17 AM »

I think I can safely check brookie off the list. :mellow

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 01:03:45 PM »

I think I can safely check brookie off the list. :mellow

:lol  I got that one too. 

I think....
John Gierach, Good Flies

MABassFly

• Brookie
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 04:31:05 PM »

I need to still get one to the net ..................of any kind would be nice :) lol. I know it will come eventually with more reading of waters and practice.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up