Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: native trout  (Read 1154 times)

Travis

• Steelhead
  • Water Hiker
Re: native trout
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 02:05:51 PM »

I grew up fishing the different watersheds of Maine for native trout. There are several strains of brookies in Maine native to different watersheds, I spent most of my life chasing them...I have caught quite a few trout species...Matt, you know the cutties better than I do but I will take a stab at it:

Trout:
Brook Trout
Brook Trout - Rangely Lakes Strain
Brook Trout - Labrador Canada - Known for their BEASTLY size
Atlantic Salmon
Rio Grande Cutts
Colorado River Cutts

I am sure I am missing some...for many years I focused primarily on saltwater species and have caught quite a few. Matt has lured me into this cutthroat quest...but I am just in it for the ride.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 02:07:49 PM by Travis »
"There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." 

-Lefty Kreh

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 04:41:27 PM »

and based on something I read a Greenback in colorado? They apparently found a strand recently that was thought to be extinct? I see you caught one, so I'm not entirely sure about that.

I just saw an article in Trout that refers to what you are talking about.  Apparently, Colorado may have been stocking Colorado River cutts over the past few decades instead of the state fish, the Greenback.  All the while, the real Greenback was isolated in just one several mile stretch of a small creek outside of Colorado Springs (and outside of its native range).  Behnke is the trout biologist who originally rediscovered the Greenback many years ago, and is balking at the idea and the conclusions drawn from genetic results presented in the recent scientific publication that started this debate.  (For those of you who don't know Behnke, search for him on amazon.com and purchase his Trout and Salmon of North America)  I actually see some merit in his argument, but he is probably on the losing side of this.  The state has halted Greenback restoration efforts for the time being, and the question of increasing the Greenback's designation as threatened to endangered has come up.

Chris M

• Propeller Assassin
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 04:57:18 PM »

K2-

Not sure if you listen to Podcasts, but Zach Matthews Itinerant Angler has and interview with Behnke, Kind of old (2007 or so) and if I remember correctly the Greenback was a part of the discussion

Chris

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 11:04:50 PM »

I remember the podcast.  Behnke has hung his hat on that fish.

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 07:32:53 AM »

I just want to find a small 1 weight river with one pound Brookies, gin clear water that no one knows about within 25 minutes if my house with branches that never catch your line. Is that too much to ask?!?
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

MABassFly

• Brookie
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 01:53:47 PM »

I may have found such a spot like that but not sure how big they are as of yet, but I am looking forward to fishing it hard.

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 02:30:38 PM »

Is that in southeast MA, MABassFly?

MABassFly

• Brookie
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 02:56:22 PM »

Its a spot that is in my town of Sudbury called Cranberry Brook that they have just confirmed to having native brookies.

k2

• Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • fan of the rainbrown
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »

Cool. It kind of looks like some of the coaster streams near the Cape.

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Addicted to tying classics
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 03:38:58 PM »

10-12 years ago I did catch a couple little brookies in there...but it was obviously a long time, and long time without conservation.  Would be cool to hear how you do.

I remember it being a mess back in there, beer bottles, trash, etc...I even found a box of about 100 rounds of unused .22 bullets :\

Shakeyfly

• No Time to Fish
  • Administrator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Huge Member
    • The Rules of Fly Fishing
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 04:32:29 PM »

That stream looks awesome... When we fishing?  :P
"A desperate and lasting sadness descends on you when you realize you're a fisherman who's not gonna catch fish today."
John Gierach, Good Flies

chadroc

• Tuna
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 06:00:20 PM »

great looking brook there, and real nice photo.  i'm always surprised by the places trout can live.  the hockanum river in vernon/manchester ct flows through some pretty urban places but still holds trout.  its odd to fish behind a kohls and next to interstate 84 but be catching trout. 

side note, behnke's book "about trout" is quality reading.....
"bow your back and fish when you can" - thomas mcguane

MABassFly

• Brookie
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 10:00:52 PM »

That area is VERY cleaned up as now its part of the Sudbury Valley Trustee's property. There is another brook back in there as well that is supposed to be holding trout as well. I cannot even imagine anyone littering back in there but there is always litterers.

Travis

• Steelhead
  • Water Hiker
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 08:43:04 AM »

Get out there and let us know how you do! I am jonesin' for a day on the water with my fly rod. I NEED to make some time!
"There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." 

-Lefty Kreh

Matt B

• Really Big Fly
  • Global Moderator
  • Baby effin Wheel Kid
  • Addicted to tying classics
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »

That area is VERY cleaned up as now its part of the Sudbury Valley Trustee's property. There is another brook back in there as well that is supposed to be holding trout as well. I cannot even imagine anyone littering back in there but there is always litterers.

sorry i wasnt indicating that it was now, just what I remember from way back.  it was a cool place, I have to shoot over to framingham tomorrow after work, I might poke my head into one of those little brooks over there for a few minutes before it gets dark...supposed to be like 20 tomorrow so we'll see  :lol
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up